Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or is it hard to find a heel in TNA. Take MCMG/Beer Money for example. I know I am suppose to not care for Beer Money, but I just love watching these two tag team have a match. I guess what I'm saying is TNA doesn't do that great of a job developing wrestlers into heels.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The wrestlers don't do a lot of favors sometimes. When Sting was supposed to be a heel in the first months of the MEM, he would still point to the crowd and whatnot. Beer Money, despite being a cocky heel team, still continues to use the "BEER! MONEY!" chant after the double team suplex. Shit makes no sense.

·
GIANTS
2,647 Posts
I can understand your point and I agree a little bit, but there is one thing that screws up heels and faces in TNA.......Impact Zone smarks. They turned the Pope, Anderson, and Sting face when they were doing well as heels.

Sting had potential to be a great heel after the IZ chanted "You suck" on March 8, but weeks later they cheered him on while beating the crap outta Jarrett.

Pope had steam as a heel, but IZ smarks turned him face.

Anderson was on fire as a heel during his feud with Angle, but IZ turned him into a bland face.

Leave the Impact Zone, and the heels will get more heat....guaranteed

·
IDGET
4,758 Posts
Constant turns and the Impact Zone crowd are mainly to blame for this. Think it was sometime last year when Nash was in the ring cutting a promo and just laying into the crowd and they where cheering for him.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can understand your point and I agree a little bit, but there is one thing that screws up heels and faces in TNA.......Impact Zone smarks. They turned the Pope, Anderson, and Sting face when they were doing well as heels.

Sting had potential to be a great heel after the IZ chanted "You suck" on March 8, but weeks later they cheered him on while beating the crap outta Jarrett.

Anderson was on fire as a heel during his feud with Angle, but IZ turned him into a bland face.

I also agree with you, and it would be great to see Sting as a heel, but aren't there some wrestlers out there that no matter how much of a heel you try to make them fans are always going to still cheer for them.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
There are a few reasons;

1. Russo booking dictates there are no real faces or heels just shades of grey. Which is bullshit, you know why anti-heroes work because there surrounded by good and bad people. Steve Austin worked, because he was a guy who attacked good guys and bad guys, he just didn't care. It wouldn't have worked if you had 10 guys just like Austin doing the exact same thing.

The nWo worked as anti-heroes because even though there were bad guys there were so cool, the people would cheer them. against other old school heels like the Four Horsemen and against true good guys like Sting and Lex Luger.

Even in TV, with shows like Dexter or the Shield the antihero is surrounded by good moral people and horrible bad people. to the point your happy, the antihero goes after the villian and in some cases you hate the good guys for going after and questioning the antihero even if he is doing bad things.

2. The babyfaces and heels just don't give you a reason to care, what bad things do the heels do to make you hate them? What good things do the babyfaces do to make you like them? the answer to both questions is nothing. Impact has a bunch of matches and some times people talk and say this and say that and do this and do that and maybe some large group of people might brawl but I'm not really seeing a reason for the audience to care about or believe in these characters.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
This barely constitutes as a problem in TNA. Booking has managed to give most of the important guys actual character which makes up for the wrestlers' moral ambiguality unlike the WWE with all of their factory made midcard wrestlers. Even AJ Styles in 2009 as a babyface had more of a character than most guys in the WWE.

Its only a problem during high profile angles where the plot is based around a face and heel and the Impact Zone cheers the obvious heel like Sting, Nash, Flair, and Jarrett. It really isn't an issue in regards to midcard fueds like Anderson/Pope or MCMGs/Beer Money as both sides of these fueds come off as somewhat sympathetic.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

TNA turned Anderson face. Not the crowd. The crowd was simply saying his catchphrase, than TNA ruined him by giving him "Anderson's Assholes" which now ruins his matches.

Sting isn't a face

The Pope I will give you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A great heel can turn any normal crowd against him just by insulting them. This is harder in the Impact Zone because some people just refuse to boo, but take someone like Jericho and put him on the mic and he will make it happen. 2 weeks ago on RAW Jericho was cheered when he came out. The entire crowd was chanting "Y2J" and he turned that into boos by simply insulting them over and over. Abyss does this when he calls the crowd ignorant sheep, but the others tend to play to the crowd too much when they are supposed to be heels, as a previous poster stated.

·
Natasha Yi. WHAT A BABE.
7,731 Posts
One thing that annoys me was Anderson's face turn. Yes he's good as a face, but IMO he was killer as a heel.

Although I take the point that some heels still do face stuff like Sting's crowd point etc. Styles was the same, still doing the crazy flips out of the ring...when he went for it one time and then stopped, said "Naw..." the crowd booed the fuck out of him. I lol'd.

·
Banned
8,557 Posts
What about Daniels? He was getting cheered during his heel run in the X-division when Dusty was booking, the IZ is mostly to blame

1 - 16 of 16 Posts