Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen a thread on this, so I figured this would be something to mention.

First of all, I didn't like them just stripping RVD of the World title immediately. Especially considering in the past they've had times where the World champ went two months without defending the belt before a big match. If nothing else, they should have waited 30 days or at least until the next PPV to announce RVD being stripped of the title and then announce the tournament. Besides, with having to recently strip Hall and Nash of the tag titles (I know different circumstances), that doesn't look good for your titles.

Next, why stretch this thing out for 2 months? I know they want a build-up to BFG, but to just stretch this thing out, plus the matches for the first round took a grand total of about 15 minutes. If you are going to stretch it out, at least have one match a week for 8 weeks, this way you would give more time for each match to play itself out. THEN at BFG have the semifinals as the curtain-jerkers and the championship match at the end of the night.

Finally, if they were going to promote the hell out of Fortune being this up and coming group, why not have AJ Styles in this tournament? Especially if they were to book Abyss as being paid by Fortune as the one that took out RVD and then Tommy Dreamer last week. Then Styles could be in the ME for the title at BFG against Anderson, Hardy, or Angle.

This was a major drop of the ball, especially if they're trying to make the World title be a huge deal.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Stripping then tournaments = Vintage Russo.
Also, the winners ended up being former WWE talent, regardless of how used or not they were, there weren't any TNA originals used which was pretty stupid. Just shows you what Bischoff is like, going backwards and always favouriting Hardy and Anderson.

·
Premium Member
43,615 Posts
To me, The Pope & Mr. Anderson are similar to when guys like Chris Jericho & Eddie Guerrero moved from WCW to WWF back in the Attitude Era. Yes, they came from another company, but they weren't really able to shine in that company, and in this new setting, they have the chance to form their own identity. The Pope in particular has emerged in my eyes as one of TNA's best creations & I have no problem with him being involved with this. Mr. Anderson? Well, he didn't make it in the E due to his own stupidity & injury prone nature more than anything else, but he's silenced alot of the doubters (including me) since he came to TNA.

My problem though is how this tournament came about.

If the storylines they'd been doing for the last few months warranted this kind of situation, I'd be all for it. The situation the WWF had in late 98 was a prime example. Austin got screwed out of the title by McMahon, but a new champion was needed. Taker & Kane went to a draw, so McMahon used the tournament as a perfect way to crown his own Corporate Champion, which turned out to be The Rock. That was extremely well done and stemmed from something that had been built for months.

This though seems like a diversion from what was being built. Since June, it seemed pretty obvious to me that they were going for RVD vs. Angle at BFG for the gold. Angle was moving through the rankings one by one to get to the top, and RVD was beating every one that challenged him. That seem to be their end point for the season. But now they've dropped all of that in favor of a Tournament Storyline that has come pretty much out of nowhere. I mean Pope & Anderson weren't really close to the top of the World Title rankings anyway, so their characters didn't seem to be set to be involved in that kind of role. If anything, their character direction seemed to be dictating that they would face each other at BFG along side the RVD/Angle match. And since it leaked that it was going to be Hardy vs. Angle at No Surrender, I just assumed that this would be Angle's last big step before facing RVD. This move just throws the storyline out of whack.

And to be fair, I could forgive it IF RVD was legit injured and they had to go to Plan B. I forgave it when Nash had to pull out of BFG05 (to be honest, what we got instead was probably better) and they had to do something different. However, this was not due to injury. This was due to TNA having RVD work too many dates and going against his contract. HOW THE HELL DOES THAT HAPPEN?!?!? That's just poor planning, and if they were setting up for Angle vs. RVD (which all indications to me was that they were) then you would think they would have kept an eye on something that like.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I just feel bad for Angle. I almost feel he was speaking the truth on Reaction about being upset about his plan being derailed. Its like he just wanted one straight forward storyline to a finish without being jacked up, and yet TNA still figured a way to screw it up with this Tournament.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I just don't see how you're putting over a belt, with four 5-minute matches.

·
Registered
464 Posts
With how much they love Abyss I dont understand why they didnt just have him beat RVD at the Whole F'n Show.

·
Banned
8,557 Posts
Stripping then tournaments = Vintage Russo.
Also, the winners ended up being former WWE talent, regardless of how used or not they were, there weren't any TNA originals used which was pretty stupid. Just shows you what Bischoff is like, going backwards and always favouriting Hardy and Anderson.
Anderson is an original, he was in TNA in its early days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts