Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AJ Styles is the face of TNA - we know that and TNA also know that. What do you think - what would happen if they ever lose him ?

In my opinion they cant exist without him. He was always there and many of the TNA fanbase are watching it only because of him.

·
Banned
8,557 Posts
AJ Styles is the face of TNA - we know that and TNA also know that. What do you think - what would happen if they ever lose him ?

In my opinion they cant exist without him. He was always there and many of the TNA fanbase are watching it only because of him.
Lawls, you could've put Apollo in his place and it would be the same shit.

Dixie's money saved TNA.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Not only the people in the IWC would care. I think people have watched TNA long enough to know AJ is THE guy in TNA. It's just standard, imo. It'd be a big blow and I'd honestly find myself nearly turning away. I kinda watch more for who's there over the actual "name" of the company.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
They could survive without him, it's not like he is the draw for TNA, like Cena is to the WWE, but he should be. TNA has misused this guy for so long, I'd kill to see him in the WWE, he is still young, 32 years old, good shape, injury free, with the WWE machine behind him he could be huge, and with the recent push of smaller guys like Miz, Morrison, Punk, Dolph, there hasn't been a better time for AJ to be in the WWE. Right now TNA doesn't have a John Cena type guy, a face of the company, you could argue Angle/Anderson but really their not even close. AJ should be he has been there since day one, but due to shitty booking, if AJ left I'm sure it wouldn't effect the shitty product TNA calls pro wrestling.

·
Banned
8,557 Posts
They could survive without him, it's not like he is the draw for TNA, like Cena is to the WWE, but he should be. TNA has misused this guy for so long, I'd kill to see him in the WWE, he is still young, 32 years old, good shape, injury free, with the WWE machine behind him he could be huge, and with the recent push of smaller guys like Miz, Morrison, Punk, Dolph, there hasn't been a better time for AJ to be in the WWE. Right now TNA doesn't have a John Cena type guy, a face of the company, you could argue Angle/Anderson but really their not even close. AJ should be he has been there since day one, but due to shitty booking, if AJ left I'm sure it wouldn't effect the shitty product TNA calls pro wrestling.
He will be Evan Bourne 2.0

:lmao at anyone saying AJ was misused, TNA gave him a lot of title reigns yet he hasnt drew shit at all.

·
Banned
10,007 Posts
He's Mr. TNA, the backbone of the company, the man who's been there since day one etc. etc. - but TNA could exist without him. Losing AJ, though, would be a huge dent to lockerroom morale and while he isn't a massive name like those who come in from WWE, it would be a hugely negative impact to the company in a lot of ways. AJ is the companies one trump card when faced with the tag of being a company of WWE and WCW rejects and they absolutely need to have him in and around the main-event. TNA knows this, as does everyone else in the entire industry.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Anyone who says TNA need AJ Styles is a mark. AJ isn't even the face of the company, marks would like to think so but he isn't.
Go to www.tnawrestling.com and you tell me where AJ is on all of those banners. Look at the merch sales, Hardy and RVD along with Hogan and Anderson (simply because that shirt is badass) are dominating the top 10 sold ignoring PPV DVDs and the Brown bag.

TNA has built themselves around WWE's legacy. You come for the WWE guys, and if you happen to like AJ and Samoa Joe while watching Impact then that's cool with them.

80% of the Impact Zone are there to see Hardy, Angle and RVD, and that is no exaggeration.

I am a huge fan of Joe and AJ and I would love to see them in WWE and (one can hope) be used correctly. But saying AJ Styles is the face of TNA, or even thinking TNA would care if he left is a joke, and if you are saying that then I repeat, you're just a mark.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Where's the proof behind 80% of the Impact Zone being there for guys like Jeff Hardy and RVD? We saw last week RVD got little to no reaction and his reaction has been dying since. TNA back in the day when they went to do PPV shows were doing better before all of these "big" names. That has to mean something there.

If you believe TNA wouldn't care if he left then you'd be fooling yourself imo. They may care less than if Hogan, Anderson, Hardy etc left, but they defo care. AJ being featured heavily sshows you this. AJ being the longest reigning champion shows you this. AJ being a grand slam winner shows you this. Teaming him with Flair shows you they care about the guy. If they didn't he woulda went the way of Daniels ages ago. Fans care about him, regardless of what anyone says. We've seen so many WWE guys come and go and the ratings have pretty much stayed the same from when there were more "originals" dominating the show. That has to show you something.

Sure they can exist without him. WWE have been doing fine without The Rock and Austin, two of their biggest draws, but at the end of the day, when alot of your fanbase are IWC heavy (and I still believe this), then I believe they'd take a blow if they ever decided to release AJ. That's just how I feel.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Oh come on you can't be serious, when does the Impact crowd ever give a reaction? I'll use the same percentage actually, 80% of them are tourists. And aside from Big black guy, guy with beard, meth Lita and DVD guy, I doubt there's any more regulars.

You can tell me all the accomplishments you want about AJ, I'm not disputing how good he is. I think he's the best all-rounded superstar since Kurt Angle. The guy is NOT a face of the company, no one goes to / watches TNA for AJ except long-term TNA fans and marks.

Like I said, a new fan is watching because of the WWE guys, if he likes AJ and Joe then that's great.

Trust me, I was that new fan.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
RVD said some bullshit that himself and Hardy were rock stars and that the six sided ring and the original talent meant nothing to TNA, which is completely wrong.

The Impact Zone is covered by tourists most of the time, there's probably more real TNA fans at the PPVs. They get told who to cheer and boo for, they're cast members who are there to help tell the story to the viewers.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Oh come on you can't be serious, when does the Impact crowd ever give a reaction? I'll use the same percentage actually, 80% of them are tourists. And aside from Big black guy, guy with beard, meth Lita and DVD guy, I doubt there's any more regulars.

You can tell me all the accomplishments you want about AJ, I'm not disputing how good he is. I think he's the best all-rounded superstar since Kurt Angle. The guy is NOT a face of the company, no one goes to / watches TNA for AJ except long-term TNA fans and marks.

Like I said, a new fan is watching because of the WWE guys, if he likes AJ and Joe then that's great.

Trust me, I was that new fan.
Jeff Jarrett ALWAYS gets a reaction.
Before last year AJ always you to get a reaction.
Spots get reactions.
Eric Young (believe it or not) gets a reaction./
RVD's matches have been silent as fuck.

And no, I wasn't using his accomplishments to say he was good. That wasn't my point. If AJ didn't mean shit to TNA, do you believe they woulda put the title on him? This isn't a real sport. Management decide who they give the title to. AJ has held them all and the World Title was his for the longest. To say they wouldn't care if he went is moronic.

A new fan may or may not be watching because of WWE guys. Who's to say a new fan watched wrestling in the 90s? Who's to say a new fan may or may not of found TNA before WWE? This isn't unbelievable.

To say AJ only attracts long time TNA fans and marks is foolish, because I know as a fact, personally, that AJ was one of the wrestlers that attracted me to TNA during a time where I wasn't a mark and was more of a casual wrestling fan.

If fans are going for RVD or they're being told who to boo and cheer for, am I to believe they're still going for RVD if he gets no reaction? If Hardy, Jarrett, Anderson and Eric Young can get a reaction, why are some of the ex-WWE guys failing?

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
TNA doesn't have any draws. If AJ were to leave, the ratings will probably stay the same. if Rvd or Hardy were to leave, the ratings will probably stay the same. This is the same for anyone else in that company. It's sad that AJ isn't that important to TNA. The way I see it, it only shows how incompetent TNA is with building stars.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Jeff Jarrett ALWAYS gets a reaction.
Before last year AJ always you to get a reaction.
Spots get reactions.
Eric Young (believe it or not) gets a reaction./
RVD's matches have been silent as fuck.

And no, I wasn't using his accomplishments to say he was good. That wasn't my point. If AJ didn't mean shit to TNA, do you believe they woulda put the title on him? This isn't a real sport. Management decide who they give the title to. AJ has held them all and the World Title was his for the longest. To say they wouldn't care if he went is moronic.

A new fan may or may not be watching because of WWE guys. Who's to say a new fan watched wrestling in the 90s? Who's to say a new fan may or may not of found TNA before WWE? This isn't unbelievable.

To say AJ only attracts long time TNA fans and marks is foolish, because I know as a fact, personally, that AJ was one of the wrestlers that attracted me to TNA during a time where I wasn't a mark and was more of a casual wrestling fan.

If fans are going for RVD or they're being told who to boo and cheer for, am I to believe they're still going for RVD if he gets no reaction? If Hardy, Jarrett, Anderson and Eric Young can get a reaction, why are some of the ex-WWE guys failing?
Right well there's no point arguing because you've flat old told me straight up you're a mark. That's fine, but we can't have a debate when you're marking for AJ Styles.

If you was a brand new fan then how in the blue hell did AJ Styles attract you to TNA? If you was to say indys, then you're not a real fan.

AJ Styles is not even on the FRONT of advertisements, like I said, go and look at TNA's website if you don't believe me, he's not there.

And who on earth that wants to get into Wrestling for the first time starts to watch TNA? Or hell, even KNOWS about TNA? Everyone, literally everyone has atleast heard of WWE and if they were to think about giving pro-wrestling a try they'd tune in on monday night.

Do you honestly think that if AJ Styles was fire or left the company there'd be a drop in ratings? If people were tuning in to see AJ (or Joe) they would've switched off a long, long time ago.

It's so god damn stupid to think AJ is the face of TNA when his own company don't even think that.

Oh and once again, for the record (because I had to rattle on a bit). I'm a massive fan of AJ and Joe.

EDIT: I should also add that I too, started watching TNA last year (although have since downloaded from 2004+). When I got back into pro-wrestling last year I seeked out an alternative, a wCw if you will, wanted to know if one existed. I saw that this company on Bravo, that had Hogan, Hardy, Angle, Anderson, RVD, all those guys I enjoyed watching in WWE were there. So I tuned in.

It was awesome seeing them but while continuously watching I began to notice the other "original" talent. That's when I noticed AJ and Joe, the tag team division, the (at the time) knockouts division. You get to know the originals from being DRAWN by the ex-WWE guys.

That's how TNA should work now, they draw you in with the Angles, Flairs, Hogans and Hardys, then use them to put over the AJ's, Joe's and Lethal's. Except TNA has stuck with the WWE guys instead because they know how much of a DRAW those guys are. And, as pointed out via TNA's website, has now used them as the face of the company. It's simple and I don't understand why you can't get your head round it.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Ok, well if I'm a mark for liking a wrestler, then I'm a mark. Whatever lol

I didn't say I was attracted by his name. If I'm watching something and the guy's performing, then forgive me for being interested....

And just so you know I started watching TNA in 05, but heard of it before then simply because I had friends who watched wrestling (not hardcore fans at the time either...pretty much just young kids..not IWCers) on TWC which showed ROH, TNA, LDN Wrestling etc buuut if we all watched TNA simply for the old guys, so be it. Im not saying that everyone was like me, but to believe everyone watched simply because of the old guys is a joke.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I don't get the "only people in the IWC" would care thing, like it'd be a meaningless event. Do people not realize who TNA's hardcore audience is yet or are we still pretending there's some elite hipster group who not only watches, but puts their own money into TNA?

If AJ left TNA, the company clearly wouldn't be the same. Run into any wrestler in the back and they'd probably echo that sentiment. Could they exist? Sure. But they wouldn't be nearly as attractive a show for the 8,000-10,000 who still buy these ratchet PPV's, go to house shows and buy merchandise: The real fanbase.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
lets face it AJ's star fizzed out a while ago, he has nothing new to offer

give tna credit for striking the iron when it was hot but enough is enough, he gets strung up like a flammable doll for tna haters to show why they hate tna and why they think tna will never be a huge success, besides ROH could use another name after losing Nigel Bryan and Tyler

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
There's no TNA without AJ. Period.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts