Wrestling Forum banner

TNA To Focus More On Younger Talent?

2989 Views 41 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  J-Co
Amongst TNA Wrestling officials, there has been talk of changing the focus from “big name” veteran stars of yesteryear to the younger performers in the organization.

One source stated that the members of Fortune—AJ Styles, James Storm, Robert Roode and Kazarian—would be among the top babyfaces in the company and that “it would be interesting to see” what happens when the contracts of Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair come due. However, the source added that while creative is behind the proposition, plans could easily change.

The source feels that Impact’s ratings in the coming weeks will be the deciding factor in whether the company begins focusing on younger talents.

“The key is the ratings,” the source stated. “[Dixie Carter] panics when the ratings dip. If it moves two points, she’ll panic.”

The source explained that if Impact’s ratings fall one point as they did last week (from a 1.3 to a 1.2), the company’s creative direction stays course. However, the feeling is that Carter tends to overreact when the ratings slide down two points.

Credit to PWTorch
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
5,747 Posts

· Registered
1,461 Posts
The real question is what does the term "younger talent" means to TNA. Everytime I see
a former WWE wrestler in the main event. For all we know, younger talent could mean someone new to TNA. Cough 'Matt Hardy' Cough.

· Registered
861 Posts
In my opinion the focus is already on the younger guys. Hardys RVD Fortune Matt Morgan Anderson, those guys are all in the time to make this their prime.

We know where the best days of Hogan Flair Foley Sting Steiner Booker T Nash lie, thats why "old guys" fail to impress. What is 50+ Sting going to do to top Sting's long silence, or coming down from the rafters in the 90s?

The young and current stars need to be able to make their name. Flair has been great for TNA, but its because he only steps into ring for an occasional match, and served as an incredible manager. If creative can just come up with something for each of these guys to go on, they will be stars too, in their own respect.

· Registered
10,483 Posts
Thats a step in the right direction. Now, get some people who could write good storylines to get these young people over then you'll be in business. I know it's been said before, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

· Registered
1,415 Posts
guys like rvd, angle, anderson, jeff hardy should still be near the top as well with aj and beer money. all these guys have good skills on the mic now and put on very solid matches. even kaz seems to have improved a lot recently imo. i'd push crimson to the tv title next to build up another young guy and then i think they are good to go for the long haul. i think at this point the only way i'd bring in another exwwe guy would be if it's someone as huge as maybe a chris jericho or maybe a return of christian otherwise i think they just need to continue to build up new talent. they still need to bring back wolfe as well which i hope is soon. roster looks great atm. imo there are not weak spots on the roster. knockouts are good, xdiv has guys, heavyweight and tag divisions are good as well. if i was tna though i'd just be lookin at standout guys in indies to bring up next like crimson and wolfe for the future.

· Registered
374 Posts
TNA worry way too much about their ratings. I mean, they're good enough to keep Spike TV happy, that should be all that matters for now. They have tried damn near everything and the ratings have not moved at all. If anything, TNA should switch gears and worry about increasing PPV buys, not their iMPACT! ratings.
Exactly. As long as Spike are content with the numbers TNA are putting up - which they generally appear to have been - then there's no point having reshuffles time & time again.

I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker, but Paul Heyman had it right when he spoke of TNA needing to develop its brand. That's more important that going up 0.2 in the ratings or whatnot.

TNA needs to work on its image. This will draw more people into sampling the product & if some like it, then the ratings will go up; if some don't like it, nothing changes. The important thing is TNA won't lose its core audience by increasing brand awareness - it might, however, lose its core audience by continually switching its goals, objectives & booking philosophies.

· Registered
626 Posts
They need to figure a way to push both.

When Hogan came in, all the storylines got ridiculous, they are turns every other week, people don't show up for 2-3 weeks at a time & then come back as huge threats before disappearing again, guys like Robbie E. get squashed then he squashes other guys and we're supposed to take him as a title contender? It's a mess.

TNA has gained fans. No doubt. The problem is, they lost a lot of their original fans. I know at least four people that have stopped watching since Febrary because the product sucks. I was a huge TNA mark back when Christian was there. And even after.

Pathetic that you go from having Daniels vs AJ and Wolfe vs. Angle in the main events to the crap Hogan's era has spit out at us.

· Banned
8,864 Posts
I thought that's what the company was built on. I thought this was suppose to happen 8 years ago. Oh.
Yeah and thats why the first ever TNA champ was former WWF midcarder Ken Shamrock, lol.

They need to figure a way to push both.

When Hogan came in, all the storylines got ridiculous, they are turns every other week, people don't show up for 2-3 weeks at a time & then come back as huge threats before disappearing again, guys like Robbie E. get squashed then he squashes other guys and we're supposed to take him as a title contender? It's a mess.

TNA has gained fans. No doubt. The problem is, they lost a lot of their original fans. I know at least four people that have stopped watching since Febrary because the product sucks. I was a huge TNA mark back when Christian was there. And even after.

Pathetic that you go from having Daniels vs AJ and Wolfe vs. Angle in the main events to the crap Hogan's era has spit out at us.
They wanted to get rid of the smarks, the problem was that TNA aims to the smark, and that was a huge problem from the beginning...

· Registered
2,220 Posts
The real question here is where is this young talent going to come from? In order to focus on young talent they have to have young talent in the first place.
Your a moron......aj styles, kaz, robert roode, james storm, matt morgan, the pope, samoa joe, chris sabin, alex shelley, magnus, jay lethal, amazing red,, doug williams, mr anderson, crimson, hernandez, generation me, brian kendrick....is that enough????

All of these guys should be the focus and the backbone of the company not the flairs , hogan, bischoff, jarrett, matt hardy, rvd, sting, team 3d, scott steiner, etc...

· Registered
2,653 Posts
Looking at the veterans...
Hulk Hogan- Completely useless.
Ric Flair- Gloryhound, cockblocks Fortune.
Eric Bischoff- Gloryhound, cockblocks Immortal.
Kurt Angle- Please don't ever retire.
Bully Ray- Maybe the best heel in TNA right IMO.
Jeff Jarrett- The second best heel and pretty solid in the ring.
Scott Steiner- Hey the guys hilarious and he's way over, it's not like he's in the title picture.
RVD- Seems to have lost his passion, at least don't main event him.
Sting- Loved him all my life, but at this point with his injuries...just leave him at home.

· Registered
251 Posts
Your a moron......aj styles, kaz, robert roode, james storm, matt morgan, the pope, samoa joe, chris sabin, alex shelley, magnus, jay lethal, amazing red,, doug williams, mr anderson, crimson, hernandez, generation me, brian kendrick....is that enough????

All of these guys should be the focus and the backbone of the company not the flairs , hogan, bischoff, jarrett, matt hardy, rvd, sting, team 3d, scott steiner, etc...
First off Blow me. Secondly the guys you named have pretty much been there from the start so I dont feel as though you can still call them young talent.

· Registered
3,671 Posts
Most of the TNA originals suck. They been pushing these guys for years and wrestling fans don't give a shit. TNA marks and TNA won't admit it.
Guys like AJ Styles will never be big star. TNA has horrible judgement when it comes to who to push so it's better that they take ex-WWE guys like Anderson, Jeff, and Pope. At least Vince saw something in them and hired them.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.