Wrestling Forum banner

TNA To Focus More On Younger Talent?

2979 41
Amongst TNA Wrestling officials, there has been talk of changing the focus from “big name” veteran stars of yesteryear to the younger performers in the organization.

One source stated that the members of Fortune—AJ Styles, James Storm, Robert Roode and Kazarian—would be among the top babyfaces in the company and that “it would be interesting to see” what happens when the contracts of Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair come due. However, the source added that while creative is behind the proposition, plans could easily change.

The source feels that Impact’s ratings in the coming weeks will be the deciding factor in whether the company begins focusing on younger talents.

“The key is the ratings,” the source stated. “[Dixie Carter] panics when the ratings dip. If it moves two points, she’ll panic.”

The source explained that if Impact’s ratings fall one point as they did last week (from a 1.3 to a 1.2), the company’s creative direction stays course. However, the feeling is that Carter tends to overreact when the ratings slide down two points.

Credit to PWTorch
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
303 Posts
TNA worry way too much about their ratings. I mean, they're good enough to keep Spike TV happy, that should be all that matters for now. They have tried damn near everything and the ratings have not moved at all. If anything, TNA should switch gears and worry about increasing PPV buys, not their iMPACT! ratings.

· Banned
303 Posts
I do not think that A.J. Styles "sucks" but I do agree that he will never be a big star. Granted, "big" is subjective. I just do not think he is a main event caliber athlete. In this business, especially (maybe even exclusively) in the United States, the most important thing in being a professional wrestler is the ability to talk. That is something that all of the greats, from Ric Flair to Steve Austin, have in common. The Rock could talk. Mick Foley could talk. Hulk Hogan could talk. If you can't talk, the best you can hope for is a Chris Benoit style career where you get a "thank you" run at the top for years of being great in-ring.

You have to be able to make people buy into not only your character but your opponent and the upcoming match as well. You have to make people care. If you have the coolest spots in wrestling, it doesn't matter if no one cares about you or wants to pay to see you win/lose. Styles has no aura about him. He's just a normal looking dude, with a southern accent and occasionally makes you say "ooh" or "aw!".

Granted it is not just a problem with TNA, talking in general is a lost art. Especially with how over-scripted and over-produced wrestling has become. When everyone on your roster has wrestled everyone else on your roster and you still have 12 PPV a year, and a 2-hour TV show a week, people are going to lose interest quickly.

"Boy, can you make folks feel what you feel inside?"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.