Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TNA wouldn't be where it is today if it wasn't for the X-Division, and we can all agree that this statement is true.

However, if you look at the state it is in today, you really have to question where they are going with this. I know they are planning something special soon for the X-Division and beef it up a bit probably at Destination X, but why not just kill the division?

Brand the entire company with the tagline "It's not about weight limits it's about no limits."

Basically you have a World Title, a TV Title, Tag Team Titles, and a Knockout's Title.

Why not treat guys like Chris Sabin as equals with a guy like Kurt Angle? Wouldn't that differentiate TNA from WWE by having small guys and big guys competing on a competitive level?

It's already been proven as a great idea with the Kong-Kim feud years ago. In one corner you had an athletic high flyer and in the other you had a giant monster.

This would really give TNA an identity. TNA is a place where an guy of any size could compete and become champion.

Thoughts?

14,478 Posts
The x-division guys would never get a look-in. If guys like AJ and Joe have enough trouble to get a main event spot, then guys like Chris Sabin would never get an opportunity.

Also there should only be one underdog gimmick in the main event. TNA don't have that guy yet.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The x-division guys would never get a look-in. If guys like AJ and Joe have enough trouble to get a main event spot, then guys like Chris Sabin would never get an opportunity.

Also there should only be one underdog gimmick in the main event. TNA don't have that guy yet.

Remember when TNA completely buried AJ in favor as having RVD as champ?

It's all about booking and who TNA feels should main event. The "underdog" gimmick shouldn't be about a person's size.

If TNA is going to succeed as a company then they have to order what I like to call "3 levels of wrestlers". Main Eventers, Midcarders, and Jobbers.

Jobbers: Guys like Eric Young or OJ who just don't have "It" to become a drawing champion. These guys put over the Midcarders and Main Eventers in squash matches

Midcarders: In this class you have guys like Magnus or Crimson, new guys that have promise and skill but haven't proven themselves enough to the audience to be credible. In this class you also have guys like Jeff Jarret and Matt Morgan, veterans that have really reached their limit and sole purpose is putting new blood over but still looking strong. This division you'd have the TV Title fought over.

Main Eventers: Guys like AJ and Angle automatically go here. Wrestler's that draw money and can still wrestle are put on the poster's of PPV's and sell main events. Midcarders who prove themselves worry come in and cycle every few months to keep things fresh.

Forget about who is big and who is small... what really matters is proving to an audience that you can sell merch, ratings, and PPV events.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
TNA wouldn't be where it is today if it wasn't for the X-Division, and we can all agree that this statement is true.

However, if you look at the state it is in today, you really have to question where they are going with this. I know they are planning something special soon for the X-Division and beef it up a bit probably at Destination X, but why not just kill the division?

Brand the entire company with the tagline "It's not about weight limits it's about no limits."

Basically you have a World Title, a TV Title, Tag Team Titles, and a Knockout's Title.

Why not treat guys like Chris Sabin as equals with a guy like Kurt Angle? Wouldn't that differentiate TNA from WWE by having small guys and big guys competing on a competitive level?

It's already been proven as a great idea with the Kong-Kim feud years ago. In one corner you had an athletic high flyer and in the other you had a giant monster.

This would really give TNA an identity. TNA is a place where an guy of any size could compete and become champion.

Thoughts?
Can you honestly see TNA with their booking team really making Chris Sabin an equal to Kurt Angle because i can't see it even in my wildest dreams, the fact is that TNA needs the X Division because it was the best thing they had going and a HUGE difference maker between TNA and WWE in what we see on screen. I believe that TNA need to add to the X Division and make it great again because it was those matches that made people want to watch TNA and saw them as an alternative whereas now they are generally regarded as WWE lite.

Where TNA went wrong was when they decided to follow WWE's lead and make what was going on in the main event scene they be all and end all of the company focus point, in 2007 we began to see all of the bigger wrestlers take over and the X Division begin to get less tv time and less PPV time. Why TNA could have stayed doing what they were doing rather than copy WWE i will never know because what they were doing was what WCW always did right, in WCW they gave their Cruiserweight division tv time for matches and the main event scene was mainly promos.

The main event/mid card scene right now consists of Sting, Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, The Pope, Ken Anderson, Rob Van Dam, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Bubba Ray, D-Von, Abyss, Rob Terry, Crimson, Jeff Jarrett, Matt Morgan, Hernandez, Tommy Dreamer, Scott Steiner with Desmond Wolfe to return and Mick Foley still around but not on screen at the moment. Now compare all of that against Frankie Kazarian, Jay Lethal, Robbie E, Brian Kendrick and Amazing Red and you see that unless they do the same tv and PPV matches over and over again there is simply no depth to the X Division.

People like Bubba Ray, D-Von, Mick Foley, Tommy Dreamer, Rob Terry, Scott Steiner, Cookie, So Cal Val, Magnus, Orlando Jordan and even though i hate to say it Desmond Wolfe if he isn't going to come back serve no purpose and should be released so that TNA can have more tv time to focus on the X Division. It is pretty much booking 101 to have exciting mid card or in this case X Division matches on tv and then use promo time to build the bigger names feuds up for the PPV's, that is what worked so well for TNA through to the start of 2007 and that is what worked for WCW when they were on top in between 1996 and 1998.

We know that TNA have signed TJ Perkins who was Puma in AAA and the World X Cup as well as El Zorro so use them in the X Division, we know that there are people out there like Jack Evans who would probably love to work in TNA so why not go out there and sign him up for the X Division. We know that Jay Lethal, Doug Williams, Frankie Kazarian, Amazing Red and Brian Kendrick can all work so why not give them tv time on Impact every week to showcase their talents and the X Division, we know that people like Austin Aries and Christopher Daniels are exceptional in ring workers so get them to return.

What i am saying is TNA should know where their strengths lie and where their weaknesses are by now and it has always been extremely clear that their main strength is and always will be in the X Division as it is the one thing that sets them apart from WWE. If i was watching an episode of Impact that had Daniels/Kazarian, Lethal, Williams and Aries/Evans as well as promos to build up Styles/Anderson, Angle/Abyss and Joe/Hardy i would want to watch every week because TNA would be giving me great matches to watch from exciting X Division wrestlers as well as building up PPV matches between their biggest stars.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Book the X-Division like Heyman booked the original ECW. What I mean is ECW was great because what they did no one was doing. It wasn't just about hitting people in the head with chairs, it was different styles coming together. I think this is the lane that is pulling the people to MMA. You get to see wrestlers against boxers, etc. WWE and now TNA forces wrestlers to adapt to that same boring style night in and night out. The main reason I liked Angle vs. Joe is to see how the two styles meshed.

That being said, they should consider having the title matches contested under a different stipulation every time it's defended. Maybe its a cage match tonight. Next week submissions only. This would make the matches fresh and interesting.

·
Banned
2,661 Posts
I agree to some extent. I like the X-Division, but if they are just going to for the most part ignore it, then yea, I'd prefer to see it disbanded to (best case scenario) help beef up the tag team division, which I used to quite enjoy but it has become watered down of late.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
Please don't let TNA get rid of the X-Division, just put the focus back on it again. Make it important, get rid of the TV title cuz nobody cares about it anyways. The X title essentially functions much like the IC in WWE. Some guys are going to break through to the main event picture, Joe and AJ key examples. Others won't but they can still look strong competing for the X belt. This is the formula that got them to where they are today and I don't understand why they ever felt the need to change things so very much.

·
Number 30 in the Rumble
1,629 Posts
I agree they should get rid of the x-division, but keep the x-division guys a big part of the show.

The X division lacks good mic workers big time, which makes it difficult for them to have good feuds with each other, if they weren't stuck in their own division, they could have feuds with some of the better mic workers, it would do guys like Red to world of good to feud with the likes of Pope, Mr. Anderson, James Storm etc... it could really help them get more over. Plus the x-division guys would be able to carry some of the weaker ring workers to good matches... so you would have better matches and feuds.

When it's two cruiserweights fighting every week it get's boring, I want to see these guys up against different types of opponents, I need variety. If Rey Mysterio can compete with heavyweights and be over so can Alex Shelly, Chris Sabin etc... Plus people love an underdog, if you put any of the x-division guys in a feud with an upper card heel I'm sure the crowd would get behind them.

Plus 3 singles belts is too many, having too many belts makes them meaningless.

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
Three men's singles titles is definitely too many for a company with only one brand, and only one "main" 2 hour show per week. But they should get rid of the TV title, not the X-Division title. The X-Division actually brings something different in terms of in-ring style (usually) the differentiates TNA from WWE. The TV title on the other hand really serves no purpose.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
The X Division doesn't need to be scrapped, it just needs new talent. Would you scrap the Tag Team Championship, even though TNA only has about 4 teams at the moment?

I also don't have a problem with TNA having 3 Single's Titles when they only have 2 Hours of TV Time. I think all 3 titles serve a purpose, they just aren't being used very well.

·
Premium Member
8,582 Posts
No, TNA should just make it better. Scrapping what was once the best part of TNA is a terrible idea. It just needs the love it used to get and maybe if Hogan ever leaves it will get it again.

·
Registered
383 Posts
No, what TNA should scrap is Hogan, Bischoff and Russo.

As for the X-Division, I have no problem with a lower weight class division, as long as it's given time on TV. It's not like the TV belt gets much time, either. What you need is an X-Belt, TV Belt AND a US BELT along with the World title.

How does this play out, you ask?

IMPACT WEEK 1:

X-Division title match - 10-15 minutes
World Tag Team Titles Match - 10-15 minutes
Women's Title match - 5-10 minutes
2 feud story matches-men - 5-10 minutes each
1 feud story match - women 5 minute match
1 #1 contenders match for *Fill in title here* - 10 minutes

Total: 7 matches = 75 minutes of matches for a 90 minute show (30 minutes of commercials)

IMPACT! WEEK 2:

US Championship Title match - 15 minutes
TNA TV Title match - 15 minutes
Women's Tag title match - 10 minutes
2 storyline- men's feud - 10 minutes each
1 storyline - women's feud - 5 minutes
1 storyline - men's tag feud - 10 minutes
Setup for World title - 5 minutes

7 matches = 80 minutes of a 90 minute show (30 minutes of commercials)

IMPACT! WEEK 3:

World Title teaser match (non-title match) - 5 to 10 minutes
X-Division Title match - 15 minutes
Women's title match - 15 minutes
Men's tag title match - 15 minutes
#1 contenders match in *fill in blank here- not the same division as Week 1* - 10 minutes
1 men's feud match - 10 minutes
1 women's feud match - 5 minutes

Total 7 matches = 75-80 minutes of a 90 minute show (30 minutes of commercials)

IMPACT! Week 4:

World Championship match / setup for PPV - 15 minutes
US Belt match / set up for the PPV - 15 minutes
TV Belt match / set for PPV - 10 minutes
PPV Men's Feud match buildup (2) - 10 minutes each
Men and Women's World Tag title #1 contenders match / set up for PPV - 10 minutes each
Women's Title #1 contender's match / set up for PPV - 10 minutes

Matches: 8 = 90 minutes (no time for yappin, it's all action heading into the PPV)

At the PPVs you set it up so that your World title is defended every PPV, your TV Belt is defended every PPV, and your US / X-Belts are defended every other show. Both tag teams are defended at the PPV, and the Women's title is defended, and you have one "main event" style grudge match, possibly two to fill out your PPV Card. That's 7-8 matches a card as well, plus you might throw in an extra undercard match or something to pad things.

That's how you do it. Now, you can certainly do shorter matches to make room for more mic work, if you want. I don't. I really don't give a rat's rear to listen to Flair or Bischoff or Hogan or anyone else run off at the mouth for 5-10 minutes between matches. A 30-45 second pre-taped promo as the guys are heading down to the ring is plenty for me. But then, I'm old school.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts