Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TNA News: Mick Foley says he's unlikely to re-sign with TNA once his contract expires, expresses frustration with the chain of command structure and aspects of the television product (video available)
Dec 1, 2010 - 12:08 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Jason Powell

TNA star Mick Foley was the subject of a special Geek Week Live interview on Tuesday. Foley indicated during the interview that he's not planning to re-sign with TNA when his contract expires next year. "I love the idea of having a part-time job that pays well," Foley said. "TNA has been a real blessing in that sense. I would rather be motivated, but it's still nice in this economy to have a job like that.

"That will expire in eight or nine months. The chances of that relationship continuing are probably not that good. Once you have Hulk Hogan as the face of your company, there's no need for me. And one of the challenges they have on their show, and I understand completely, is there's only so much room for the non-wrestling talker every week, and I had a lot of time to do that for a year and a half.

"I don't know if wrestling is going to play a role at all. Who knows? Part of my life will always be involved in wrestling. I don't see myself at the Motor City Comic Con or doing many indys." Foley added that he expects to get the WWE Hall of Fame call at some point.

Foley expressed disappointment with the company for not airing the footage of his appearance at the Jon Stewart "Rally For Sanity." He felt it would have made the company and himself appear relevant. "I've been beating myself up and it's frustrating because I can't seem to get the decision makers in TNA to realize that it is a big deal to show me in front of 250,000 fans at the Jon Stewart rally and to show the reaction of the crowd," Foley said.

Foley also vented about his frustration with the TNA chain of command structure. "What I'm getting when I ask these questions is a lot of what WCW was," Foley said. "With WWE, we knew that's who you talk to, and so it's very frustrating. I will eventually throw up my hands and just say, 'Okay, I'll walk to the mailbox every two weeks.' I'll do that or I'll go on the show and do something I don't believe in, but you saw the difference (during his match with Ric Flair because he was emotionally invested)."

Foley said he can't wrestle often because he's getting hurt too easily and "it's not worth the extra tenth of a rating point." He continued to vent about the company cutting packages on his various appearances, as well as a video package on his feud with Ric Flair that was supposed to air prior to their latest match. He was complimentary of Jeff Hardy's heel turn, yet was also critical of doing too many turns out of nowhere.

Foley said his main complaint about TNA has been that they don't allow the wrestlers to wrestle more. He said he likes the idea of TNA Reaction being the talking show that airs after Impact. He also said he feels there's a place for occasional squash matches in pro wrestling today. You can watch the full interview at GeekWeek.com.

Powell's POV: A fun interview. Foley was very open regarding his frustration with aspects of TNA, but he came across as being more honest with is takes than bitter. Host Jeff Katz has a pro wrestling background, and his co-host Rich Marincic follows the industry as well, so they know the business and lead Foley through a long conversation regarding a number of interesting topics.

Source: .................

·
8,232 Posts
Good read. Not surprising one bit that one of the smartest men in the business is frustrated with TNA. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in WWE much sooner than later.

This right here proves how low the morale backstage must be if even Foley is expressing distaste.

"What I'm getting when I ask these questions is a lot of what WCW was," Foley said. "With WWE, we knew that's who you talk to, and so it's very frustrating."
DING.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Mick has grown on me late, didn't care for him in his prime. I can definitely understand TNA being too small for all the "big names" to contribute. I wish they had aired Mick at Rally for Sanity but I have seen Mick on DS/Colbert a few times in last year and he has never uttered the words TNA, just worn the shirt.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Foley doesn't bring enough to warrant a large salary for part time. Also as Jeff Jarrett, the founder of TNA, says there is no place to politics in wrestling (Rally for Sanity).

In the words of Hulk Hogan, if you can't draw we don't need you.

·
Usertitle ist hier
11,699 Posts
So, are the A-Listers going to claim the reports are all false and TNA is not a mess?

Only in the last few months, Foley said he was 100% re-sign with TNA and that he loved being with the company. Now it's changed and he's probably not going to re-sign and has made his feelings public.

But of course, he's old and bitter and is probably lying, right?

14,478 Posts
inb4foleyfan1

but seriously, TNA would be dumb not to re-sign him. While his best days in the ring are long gone, he is a great veteran that would be a great help backstage.

·
Banned
315 Posts
Please crawl off and die, Mick Foley.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Well according to Foley, a TNA man himself, everything we speculated or have read is true abut TNA. Somehow I still think someone people on here won't believe it.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Either he's feeling pushed aside by the Hogan/Bischoff show or he's missing uncle Vince.Then again,he mentioned the laughable lack of well executed wrestling on Impact.Maybe he's finally realised his good friend Vince Russo can't book for shit,unless he has McMahon to hold his hand!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Can't disagree to him at all I guess. He's pretty much useless now since he isn't doing much talking anymore which was his main point for beeing in TNA. As for TNA beeing directionless and unorganized, I guess that's pretty much a given. Regarding wrestling however, I think they are actually fine, if they would strip one match per week and use that time to make the remaining matches a bit longer it would look more balenced though. 5-10 minutes for 4-5 matches sounds fair and doable.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't know if this is a factor, but it seems to me Foley has been singing a different tune about TNA ever since WWE plugged his book. These problems have existed for awhile and Foley still came off like a company guy in interviews.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Foley hit the nail on the head about many things.
Id personally rather have Foley than Hogan anyday but i dont
know if TNA feels that way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow that's a lot of TNA bashing, I bet he does leave soon. He could join Terry Funk for some ROH angle that would be entertaining, or WWE could probably think up better things for him to do then TNA ever could.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Be a shame for him to go but i agree theres only so much room for non wrestling talent.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts