Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of his match vs Sting it suggested he was turning heel.
BUT I think it is a bad decision to do that. Not because I think Magnus might not be a good heel cuz I think he can be a great arrogant heel but cuz he is needed as a face more.

Which major 'Babyface' have TNA created recently? They haven't. TNA have likes of Hardy BUT don't have their own created babyface star.
Storm? He was half assed pushed and that's the issue.

One of the reasons TNA haven't established stars is because they don't go the whole way with them.
WWE keep solidifying a star and pushing him/her as a face/heel until they are pegged as a recognised face/heel of the company and then kept like that. You don't see Cena/Punk drop to midcard.
Storm was pushed but then dropped
Roode got established as the top heel BUT when he lost his title he was dropped to the mid card and tag team until recently with his fued vs Angle.
Aries was mega hot, he won the title but after losing it what has he actually done? Not much.
TNA need to go the whole way with Magnus as a face so when viewers see Magnus they know its that 'good guy' instead of a wrestler who fans or casual fans can't invest into.

Push him as the top face with a new revitalised TV title along with likes of Storm, Anderson, Daniels, Gunner, EY

He is marketable.
Establish him as the top face for a year or so and when he does turn it will be shocking. As TNA have face/heel turns like its part of the seasons, it has no shock value.

If TNA still had Crimson those two could've been the top face/heels with both being either one of the roles.

New top faces/heels TNA should establish
Face - Magnus, EY, TJ Perkins
Heels - EC3, Gunner, Kenny King

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
114 Posts
Agree, i think he would be a great heel........but DOWN THE ROAD and not right now.

He needs to just keep having hell of good matches, and made to look like strong and get over big as a face then turn later.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I would like to go ahead and disagree.
why does it matter who TNA has created themselves? they had Bobby Roode (who they created) back when he was champion and they still couldn't promote him good enough. IMO Roode is much more talented than Magnus, so if they couldn't promote Roode right how the hell can they promote Magnus enough, especially as a face.
I think Magnus as a heel has much more potential to be a star. he could be right there with Roode. I also think just being British makes him easier to be a heel, anti American for a show that is primary for America.

James Storm is someone I'd like to see get back into singles and the main event scene. push him as a top face and I think he has more potential than what Magnus could do as a face.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
People within the WWE bubble have said that Vince's one method of success talent wise is to have one massive baby face and constantly push him as him against the world.

And it's worked, Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, John Cena. For TNA, Magnus could be there top guy and they could do this with him. He's a good looking baby face who can work a match and work a mic. He currently has all 3 things that make a wrestler great so he definitely shouldn't turn heel. He needs to come out on Impact this Thursday and say "Sting, I was immature at the end of our Bound For Glory match and I'm sorry" then the two hug.

In reality, they're probably going to turn him heel though.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I think Magnus should be a heel. Yeah, it's good to create a major babyface... but they can't do it right now. What will elevate Magnus to the next level is a rivalry against Sting, it's a feud against AJ Styles for the title, he had nothing to do as a face and put him as a heel is a better thing to do.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I wouldn't consider Steve Austin a babyface. he seemed like more a heel or a tweener if anything.
didn't different era's involved different things? Hogan in the 80's and Cena in the last what 8 to 10 years? wasn't the Attitude era more with heels in charge more? Austin? Triple H?

·
Banned
6,087 Posts
When TNA had him ignore Sting I thought "these guys can't do anything right". Magnus was good as a young upstart face that people cheer, a sort of a big naive ultra positive guy. This was refreshing since we don't see guys like that nowadays. He even did the whole "clap his hands" thing wich I thought did not exist anymore in wrestling. I even think it was mistake for him to a join like MEM since in a group you have to act pompous and be somewhat edgy.

Magnus' act was the ideal case of a guy that needed a feud with experienced heels that would never let up and as such put him ever. That is why "pairing" him with EGO was perfect, I thought. This was a case of TNA finally doing something right. Cause you have guys knowing all the tricks in the book going after a young hot naive face. Not even a month later and somehow everything has gone to his head and he plays "too good" for a legend like Sting? I'm not saying this could not have happened down the line but right now it felt rushed. TNA writers have the attention spans of toddlers. Let him own his craft as a young babyface coming into his own first.

All in all we have guys that always turn stuff into a big cynical thing. Magnus HAD to do this to Sting, right? Why not have them just shake hands? And turn this into a big positive. (I even think the match was badly booked throughout. It told a lame story. Then Magnus does this and it all of it is bittersweet, living a bad taste in your mouth)

·
HOPE
13,221 Posts
It looks like it'll be one of those cases where they pull the trigger on a turn too soon, but it's kind of expected. We see that many turns these days that they rarely make an actual impact. It's a shame, because they've built him up as a star for a while now, but they haven't actually finished the job. Turning him heel before they do finish the job really doesn't benefit anybody.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I totally agree. I've been watching TNA since 2005 and I can say that my only BIG problem with them is their turning people (especially heel) for no reason. Often a guy seems to be getting over slowly, but TNA lacks patients and turns them heel. My other problem is they seem to push a guy to the moon, only to take them off of TV for 3-6 months after. This makes it very hard to invest in a wrestler as a fan. It's gotten to the point that I don't watch TNA like I used to.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
TNA sometimes definitely pushes someone, but then you don't see them for awhile. they even did it with Magnus before. at least I think that's what it was. back when Magnus and Joe were a team, but then they were split and feuding against each other. Magnus was really good then, as a heel.
but then Aces and Eights happened, and Magnus was storyline injured by them.
then when Magnus was brought back it was a show in the UK, where it likely made more sense to use him then as a face being in his home country where he would naturally be cheered.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I'd allow Magnus to get over as a baby face first but the face/heel balance is very uneven, I'd have it something like this and stick to it for a while.

Baby face

AJ Styles as TOP face, Kurt Angle, Sting, Samoa Joe, James Storm, Magnus, Jeff Hardy, Chris Sabin

Heel

Austin Aries as TOP heel, Bobby Roode, Christopher Daniels, Bully Ray, Ken Anderson, Kenny King, Frankie Kazarian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts