Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: ...............com

Less than a year after declaring war against World Wrestling Entertainment, the professional wrestling industry's second-string quarterback Total Nonstop Action Wrestling now finds itself immersed in another battle.

This time, however, TNA is riding in the front seat, representing the bigger soldier in the war.

At least it seems that way.

Apparently TNA President Dixie Carter and her compatriots, possibly including nominees for "2010 Company Killers of the Year" Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff, have finally started listening to the complaints and criticisms of fans, critics and even homegrown stars that the company needs to develop new stars rather than relying on WWE midcard castaways.

While this may seem like good news for TNA fans—and those who so desperately want an alternative to WWE programming—this decision has begun to wreak havoc on the American independent scene.

One company, Ohio-based Absolute Intense Wrestling, isn't taking TNA's new approach laying down.

Apparently several of that promotion's top stars have been offered TNA contracts in recent weeks. The promoter, or at least the person who manages the company's Facebook page, has been launching a string of written attacks against the company for this raid, and even called the performers who have accepted the deals "sell outs."

Some people have called out the promotion on the fact it has heavily promoted four of its alumni, and those four have gone on to appear in WWE to varying degrees of success.

These men include NXT Season One contestant Michael Tarver, Daniel Bryan (who appeared at AIW shows during his "release" period from WWE), Kaval and NXT Season Four rookie Derrick Bateman.

But AIW officials had their response ready to share on Facebook. In a status comment, they posted the following (with grammar corrected):

"TNA is not advancing a career. Have you watched their product? MULTIPLE guys on our roster and staff have been offered deals in the last week, so you can understand our frustrations."

"If it was WWE, we would be in full support. That is a life-changing opportunity. TNA is just a move in a lateral direction, going from being part of a rapidly growing company to whatever TNA is—a wasteland of fedjects."

Some details remain to be seen, including who the now-TNA contracted wrestlers are, and just how much of the AIW rantings and ravings are at work. But one thing is for certain, this small Ohio promotion has brought some additional attention to itself, just in time for its final show of the year, Nightmare Before X-Mas 4.
As we know by now, TNA has signed Tommy Mercer, who was one of the main eventers in AIW. Anyways, what you guys think?

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Interesting.

It just goes to show you what indy promotions think of TNA. 15 years ago, indy wrestlers were happy once they were offered a WCW or WWE contract, one of the big two. But TNA isn't considered one of the big two by indy wrestlers and/or promoters. In fact there's no big two. It's just the big one and that's WWE.

Really, really interesting article.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
They're an indy. TNA is above that class. However, with the current structure in TNA, the point is unless you were in the WWE, there's no chance to be pushed, unless you want to go around in a shitty gimmick.

If the wrestlers want to take the risk of joining TNA, let them. It's not my fault if they have to job to Rob Terry. Perhaps that group should consider getting VIP Packages for Genesis so they can be in the front row and try to get kicked out.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
in TNA

When you're pushed you're da man.
When you're de-pushed your crediblity vanishes.

Hell the MCMGs have got the titles & push they should've gotten in 2007 and
Samoa Joe still has'nt bounced back since his lose to Sting at B4G in 2008.

·
Registered
22,862 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but why is the source listed as a bunch of .........?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
They're an indy. TNA is above that class. However, with the current structure in TNA, the point is unless you were in the WWE, there's no chance to be pushed, unless you want to go around in a shitty gimmick.

If the wrestlers want to take the risk of joining TNA, let them. It's not my fault if they have to job to Rob Terry. Perhaps that group should consider getting VIP Packages for Genesis so they can be in the front row and try to get kicked out.
Interesting.

It just goes to show you what indy promotions think of TNA. 15 years ago, indy wrestlers were happy once they were offered a WCW or WWE contract, one of the big two. But TNA isn't considered one of the big two by indy wrestlers and/or promoters. In fact there's no big two. It's just the big one and that's WWE.

Really, really interesting article.
wtf are u guys talking damn this forum is going to shit

·
Banned
2,012 Posts

·
Is a Snit Head
22,349 Posts
Danielson and Kaval are hardly AIW guys. Sure they have wrestled there but it's not like AIW did anything to really advance their careers, they are just a company on the long list of places that Danielson and Low-Ki have wrestled.

I really don't like the idea of raiding the smaller companies. Signing one or two people is ok because the company can bounce back from that but if TNA is offering contracts a bunch of the top guys they can really leave AIW in a lot of trouble. An indy company that can produce guys to work mainstream wrestling is a company that nobody should want to see fold.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
TNA is'nt seen in the same light as WWE.
There are people who still don't know TNA exist and if so only know them as a fed that features old wrestlers.
i know that but tna is miles ahead of any promotion than wwe so hearing a local promotion talk shit is funny cause 1 of there main eventer left them for more money an to be view by millions than 50 ppl

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Danielson and Kaval are hardly AIW guys. Sure they have wrestled there but it's not like AIW did anything to really advance their careers, they are just a company on the long list of places that Danielson and Low-Ki have wrestled.

I really don't like the idea of raiding the smaller companies. Signing one or two people is ok because the company can bounce back from that but if TNA is offering contracts a bunch of the top guys they can really leave AIW in a lot of trouble. An indy company that can produce guys to work mainstream wrestling is a company that nobody should want to see fold.
business is business tna didnt force them to sign contracts these guys have family an didn't join to stay local they want to make it the the big times

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
i know that but tna is miles ahead of any promotion than wwe so hearing a local promotion talk shit is funny cause 1 of there main eventer left them for more money an to be view by millions than 50 ppl
The companies' beef with TNA is with the way wrestlers are used.

If these guys are lookin for a bigger paycheak i won't fault them, but they'd be wise to look at the way young wrestlers are used if they want to advance their career.

·
Premium Member
43,690 Posts
Building new stars from young talents is a good idea. I think most people would agree with that. Are they looking in the right places? We'll just have to wait and see. Personally, they have put way too much faith in the Team 3D Academy which shelved out greats like Rob Terry, Rosie Lottalove, & "Devon" (Jessie Neal is the only half ways decent one to come out of there). And as its been stated, going straight to WWE castoffs isn't always the way to go. Pick ups like Morgan, Pope, and others who really didn't do anything significant in WWE are probably great chances at tapping into potential that wasn't realized. But guys like Sean Morley, Orlando Jordan, & The Nasty Boys probably aren't the place to look. So maybe this Indy fed that's being scouted will provide. We shall see.

What I would do is seek a working relationship with a bigger Independent federation and almost use it as a farm system to scout & develop the talents. Lets say TNA joins up with PWG (strictly hypothetical). Let PWG run things the way it always has, but TNA has the ability to scout the talents & decide who goes up to the main show.

As for the "Sell Out" Indy stars wanting to move on up to a mainstream level does NOT make them sell outs. That always bugged me when people left ECW for WCW. "You sold out!" Yeah! How dare you improve your financial situation & try to gain exposure to advance your career & possibly make a better living situation for the family that your paychecks provide for. How selfish are you douchebags?!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The companies' beef with TNA is with the way wrestlers are used.

If these guys are lookin for a bigger paycheak i won't fault them, but they'd be wise to look at the way young wrestlers are used if they want to advance their career.

But are their careers advancing in some unknown indy fed? Sure they have a point about TNA misusing certain wrestlers but at least they would be on national TV. And WWE does keep an eye on TNA and have signed guys from TNA in the past. So the argument that it's just about a paycheck sounds like an excuse from a promoter who's losing employees to a bigger company.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
But are their careers advancing in some unknown indy fed? Sure they have a point about TNA misusing certain wrestlers but at least they would be on national TV. And WWE does keep an eye on TNA and have signed guys from TNA in the past. So the argument that it's just about a paycheck sounds like an excuse from a promoter who's losing employees to a bigger company.
Of course being apart of TNA would still advance their careers and is better than being in an indy company.

Alot of people (both wrestlers & fans) are happy for an alternative to WWE, but i would'nt be to quick to jump to the new choice.
and even then i would'nt put to rest thoughts of going to the WWE.

As for the "Sell Out" Indy stars wanting to move on up to a mainstream level does NOT make them sell outs. That always bugged me when people left ECW for WCW. "You sold out!" Yeah! How dare you improve your financial situation & try to gain exposure to advance your career & possibly make a better living situation for the family that your paychecks provide for. How selfish are you douchebags?!
I was always bothered more when that'd come from members off the smaller company.

You know the wrestler's personal situation and know they don't want to wrestle for an indy company their entire career.
Put your pride aside, thank them for what they've done and wish em luck.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts