Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attendance for this past week's TNA Wrestling live event tour was dubbed "horrible," especially considering that World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Hardy headlined the cards. Thursday in Sedalia, MO drew 600, Friday in Springfield, MO drew 300, and Saturday in West Plains, MO drew 500.
http://nodq.com/tna/290826015.shtml

Sounds like disappointing figures, I've been to an Indy show at the bloody unsw roundhouse (not a real venue) with higher attendance than that.

I'm suspect the blame may lay in poor advertisement or perhaps just the poor nature of the show, just goes to prove that no matter how great your wrestlers are booking matters.

·
The Dynasty
473 Posts
Doesn't surprise me any. They really need to focus on areas that they'll get a better draw out of or maybe do some advertising. I went to their Woodstock, VA show because my friend told me about it, otherwise I wouldn't have known.

Also! This reminds me of what Kevin Nash said about Hardy and RVD... He said they should stop calling themselves rock stars since they can't get more then a thousand people into an arena. Smart guy eh?

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
Attendance for this past week's TNA Wrestling live event tour was dubbed "horrible," especially considering that World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Hardy headlined the cards. Thursday in Sedalia, MO drew 600, Friday in Springfield, MO drew 300, and Saturday in West Plains, MO drew 500.
http://nodq.com/tna/290826015.shtml

Sounds like disappointing figures, I've been to an Indy show at the bloody unsw roundhouse (not a real venue) with higher attendance than that.

I'm suspect the blame may lay in poor advertisement or perhaps just the poor nature of the show, just goes to prove that no matter how great your wrestlers are booking matters.
"I went to the Sedalia, MO TNA show last night, October 28, and figured I would send along the results of what happened.

Before the show, Don West had an $80 deal, which included a VIP Backstage Pass meet and greet and photo op with Jeff Hardy, a die-cast Jeff Hardy truck he designed for Hermie Sadler, an 8x10 of Jeff Jarrett, Velvet Sky, Madison Rayne, Jeff Hardy, and the Motor City Machine Guns. Also included a change to go backstage during the intermission to meet MORE TNA stars, and finally also included an in-ring photo after the show which ended up being with Matt Morgan.

The show started with JB wanting to give out backstage passes. A member of TNA staff came to ringside and said no, he could not give them away. He said he was giving them anyways. Magnus then came to the ring and took the passes from JB. After talking for a few moments Eric Young came out and proposed a match that if Eric won, JB would hand out the backstage passes, if Magnus won, he could not.

Eric Young d. Magnus

AJ Styles & Kaz d. Ink Inc.

Madison Rayne d. Velvet Sky

Motor City Machine Guns d. Generation Me

Intermission

Jeff Jarrett d. Brian Kendrick

Matt Morgan d. Jeff Hardy

All in all it was a GREAT show. It was my first live TNA event, and I can honestly say it was probably the funnest show I've been to. WWE shows are great.. but TNA is so much about the fans and all about fan interaction, and id definitely made the night fantastic and THE BEST live wrestling experience I've had. Also Don West had some crazy deals, and the big deal of the night being the $80 set, which only 40 were allowed to be sold. And he was also selling a brand new TNA shirt with the brown bag special. All in all, AWESOME experience"

Credit: http://www.pwinsider.com/article/52261/1028-tna-results-from-sedalia-mo.html?p=1

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I've said this before and I'll say this again TNA's house show business model is just poor.

Overall TNA's house show experiences are awesome overall shows and fan treatment are top notch, the problem is TNA is not really advertising them, and they pick poor markets.

If I'm TNA I make a list and research what I feel are the top 10-25 live event markets (chicago, Philly, NYC) and schedule my live events around those markets.

Next advertise the shit out of your house shows on TV, TNA now has three hours of TV on Spike TV; Give Don West an old school event center type segment where he plugs the shit out of upcoming live events. Ticket Availability, location, line up everything. Let the wrestlers cut short promos on their upcoming live event matches to build them up, also include footage from the live events and comments from the audience about the overall positive experience include footage of West pimping merchandise.

This shit isn't hard, you don't want to pay money for serious advertising at least use your TV and top salesman to get the word out.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
I've said this before and I'll say this again TNA's house show business model is just poor.

Overall TNA's house show experiences are awesome overall shows and fan treatment are top notch, the problem is TNA is not really advertising them, and they pick poor markets.

If I'm TNA I make a list and research what I feel are the top 10-25 live event markets (chicago, Philly, NYC) and schedule my live events around those markets.

Next advertise the shit out of your house shows on TV, TNA now has three hours of TV on Spike TV; Give Don West an old school event center type segment where he plugs the shit out of upcoming live events. Ticket Availability, location, line up everything. Let the wrestlers cut short promos on their upcoming live event matches to build them up, also include footage from the live events and comments from the audience about the overall positive experience include footage of West pimping merchandise.

This shit isn't hard, you don't want to pay money for serious advertising at least use your TV and top salesman to get the word out.
But Bischoff and Hogan neeedzz teh RATINGZ!!!! RAAAAAAAATINGSSZ!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
I remember the days of Michael Hayes plugging the hell out of WWE shows. Every single tv show had a segment with Michael Hayes/Doc Hendrix promoting upcoming events or ppvs.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I remember the days of Michael Hayes plugging the hell out of WWE shows. Every single tv show had a segment with Michael Hayes/Doc Hendrix promoting upcoming events or ppvs.
Ah the good old days of the Slam Jam segment where Michael Hayes would in the beginning always be playing the WrestleMania Arcade game, for as cool as Michael Hayes is (Freebirds baby) I can't see him ever playing any video game let alone an arcade game.

Personally I preferred the event center with Sean Mooney in production with guys editing footage behind him along with Gene Okerlund's PPV report and update segments.

·
Phantom Thief
17,450 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but.. did you just suggest that wrestlers talk about HOUSE SHOWS on TV? West doing it is a great idea, but WRESTLERS? CAN YOU IMAGINE?

Team 3d: So remember to check out us and rhino vs generation me and kiyoshi in a six man elimination tables match
Fans: But how can we, here in Orlando, check it out?
Team 3d: Um... you can't....

Anyway, I remember the one I went to being awesome. The main event was the MEM vs Suicide, Styles, Joe and Daniels, with a run-in from Jeff Jarret, who was giving away some T-Shirts.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but.. did you just suggest that wrestlers talk about HOUSE SHOWS on TV? West doing it is a great idea, but WRESTLERS? CAN YOU IMAGINE?

Team 3d: So remember to check out us and rhino vs generation me and kiyoshi in a six man elimination tables match

Anyway, I remember the one I went to being awesome. The main event was the MEM vs Suicide, Styles, Joe and Daniels, with a run-in from Jeff Jarret, who was giving away some T-Shirts.
I was thinking along the lines of an old event center or slam jam or report type segment where you'd have a Mean Gene type pimp the date and the location in a office type setting then pitch it to a promo a wrestler has cut backstage talking up the house show and his opponent.

Like say AJ Styles is cutting a promo on Jay Lethal about their upcoming match in St. louis.

AJ cuts a short promo on Jay Lethal maybe works in the date and location and that's it then it's back to Don West pimping the house shows.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Some of these towns are literally in the middle of nowhere - like West Plains for example LOL! No wonder TNA got such a shite attendance over in those towns.

Take a look for yoself in google maps - West plains does not even lie near an Interstate. The People who book the house shows must have really rubbish Geography skills (Americans eh?), they should know TNA is just not big enough at this moment in the states to pop a good attendance in random towns over by the mid-west.

However, I guess sampling the product in unkown territories could help TNA in the long run, but we'll have to wait and see if their plan works.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts

Did you just start watching wrestling? Wrestlers and companies have done this for YEARS. WWE has done it for years. Sometimes with just promos that are shown in local markets.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Urgh, people, it's simple - TNA isnt a big enough company to be able to go around the company drawing strong numbers. House shows are more trouble then theyre worth. They should just cancel them like Hogan and Bischoff wanted to do originally.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Urgh, people, it's simple - TNA isnt a big enough company to be able to go around the company drawing strong numbers. House shows are more trouble then theyre worth. They should just cancel them like Hogan and Bischoff wanted to do originally.
I find this hard to believe when you got JEFF HARDY on your roster who is the 2nd biggest draw next to John Cena. Why can't TNA just advertise more? WHY? I mean they have 3 hours of television now I see no excuse why they can't just spend at least 5 MINUTES on TV to advertise their shows. And I understand it costs alot of money to advertise but Dixies gotta understand that you gotta spend money to make money. Period. TNAs lack of advertising is one of the main reasons this company can't draw for shit and for some reason nobody in the company seems to get it.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
They hardly ever come to Dallas. Dallas has a rich wrestling history and sells out RAW (and Nitro when it was around) every time it comes to town (and RAW these days rarely sells out). Not sure why TNA doesnt hit up the SMU campus.

Maybe TNA picks these small towns because it costs little to rent the venue. Still, hitting hotbeds like NYC, Philly, Chicago, Dallas, etc...would be a smart move for TNA.

·
Banned
386 Posts
TNAs lack of advertising is one of the main reasons this company can't draw for shit and for some reason nobody in the company seems to get it.
Why advertise a shitty product? Whenever they do something to bump their rating up to 1.6 it falls to a 1.1 or 1.2 within a week.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
maybe they should start going to cities with a little bit bigger of a population......i mean if they are in MO. cant they have a show in St. Louis.....i mean going to a city with more the 50k people might help them out a little more....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts