Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tna can't afford actual celebrities, I mean if Rampage Jackson and Tito Ortiz or anyone else tna could afford couldn't help maybe its time to think outside the box

im sure James Rolfe, Doug Walker, The Grumps, Smosh, Yahtzee, Ray Johnson, Mike Buckley, The Clip Critics, Ashens and the like can't be that expensive as spokesmen,

the internet may be a bit of a problem for tna but since tna won't take extra steps to disassociate from it, cough Bitchoff cough, why not embrace it?

since its 2013 I don't need to explain my reasoning, unless directly questioned

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
TNA won't gain shit from "actual celebrities" (unless it's the rock) and they certainly won't get over with pseudo internet guys.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I've never heard of any of them. if known guys like Tito and Ramapge aren't going to help, no chance these unknown people will do anything.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
holy shit ray william johnson trying to be funny without jump cuts and stolen videos would be the greatest thing of all time

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
TNA doesn't want to be an alternative to WWE or to any wrestling company of the late 90's. As much as everyone talks about social media (touts, twitter, facebook, myspace, etc. ) they are pretty far removed from using these youtube celebrities to offer something different.

Why? Because TNA doesn't want to be an alternative and live in the 21st century.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
So your idea is to take this product that is already niche (Wrestling) and try and hook people who have a much smaller niche audience (YouTube bloggers/comedians etc)

If TNA wants to use celebrities they need to use celebrities that are fans and are A-List or B-List. David Arquette was a good choice for WCW because he was willing to wrestle and be involved in angles. Of course they fucked it up by giving him the World Title but TNA needs a celebrity who can fight a non wrestler at PPV or something so the newspapers write "Such and such fights Dixie Carter at TNA PPV"

YouTube "celebrities" wouldn't work.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
At least Arquette had some relevance to the product being in a wrestling movie (and as mentioned, he was willing to actually compete and work multiple dates). You want them to get people who know nothing about wrestling to show up for 15 minutes, pretend like they know what they're doing, have an actual wrestler come out, get embarrassed, and then collect a payday larger than half the roster combined in one night? And not to mention you want pretty much the scum of the earth, Internet celebrities, who make more money filming themselves at home than TNA could ever hope to pay? Unless there are wrestling fans in that bunch (which I highly doubt), it were serve to be an embarrassment for every party involved.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This is the most stupid idea I've ever seen. TNA/Wrestling doesn't need guest stars, and WWE have blinded everyone (including TNA) who thinks there is a place for them.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
This is the most stupid idea I've ever seen. TNA/Wrestling doesn't need guest stars, and WWE have blinded everyone (including TNA) who thinks there is a place for them.
History proves you wrong. Whenever WWE got MEGA COVERAGE it was because someone from 'the outside' (that you LOATH) got involved. WM14 was HUGE because of the involvement of Tyson. If you want to pretend that is not the case then be my guess. Rodman and Leno mainevented a WCW PPV that did BIGBUYS...again.I know that doesn't fit your argument and will be swept under the rug.

I am not saying that TNA should go crazy with people from Youtube and have them doing guest spots every week. But there are some guys who do good material. Why not have someone who gives their hilarious opinion on current events give their recap on the month of TV wrestling. Why not have VSauce (who is famous for their What If) videos do a What If special edition TNA video. Why not have a youtube singer who has 2 million views do a theme song for one of the wrestlers? TNA can have a social media tie in that does not involve namedropping facebook, Twitter, Instragram, talking about followers etc. They can be create with it.

Again...TNA needs to move into the 21st century and INTERGRATE with technology and the new standard.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,620 Posts
You want internet guys. How about the angry ginger kid. Get Bully Rey to powerbomb him threw a table.

·
Comin' at you like a double-fisted kangaroo
21,054 Posts
So your idea is instead of using C & D-list celebrities that no one cares about, use people from youtube who are even less famous. Hell, why not just use someone from here.

"Ladies and gentlemen, your special guest referee, Kane506!"

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
People are still lost and I see the same backwards thinking in this lead that has lead TNA to its current state. I guess I am the only one who knows its 2013.
No, it's not about TNA not going with the times.

Look at this for an example. Lets say they pay Ray William Johnson 5 grand and another grand for a flight to wherever so he can come out and say "What's happening forum? I LOVE TNA!" you pay him to talk about it on YouTube how many non wrestling fans do you think are going to tune in and watch TNA just because he was there?

How many bodybuilding fans are now fans of TNA because of Phil Heath? None. You need someone who is a big enough star so that the mainstream press is going to pick it up. Hypothetically lets say TNA hires Alec Baldwin and he's down for everything and he'll give you 8 appearances for 20,000. Alec "wrestles" a couple of matches and maybe enters a feud with Dixie who would pick that up? Maybe not the National news but TMZ would probably pick it up. Gossip magazines would pick it up maybe the "Celebrity" section of the newspaper and then you have people realize "Hey, TNA? I thought only WWE existed"

Hypothetically if you did the exact same thing with RWJ the only people who would care are his subscribers and a few people who know the name. TMZ isn't going to cover RWJ, Newspapers aren't and neither are the magazines. That is the difference.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I'm all in favor of having James Rolfe appear on Impact just to give a Angry Video Game Nerd style swear filled rant about how bad Garrett Bischoff and Wes Brisco are.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Rampage, Tito, and even Hogan brought no ratings. Why not try wrestling?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts