Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the ratings normally were every week for TNA during the Fox Sports Net era? Just thought that it'd be interesting to know. :)

·
Premium Member
44,184 Posts
I thought Dusty's booking was terrible. Over gimmicky, lame characters, some of the worst finishes I've ever seen (Monty vs. Trytan at DX05 beats out any bad finishes I've ever seen except for maybe Hogan/Vader from Uncensored 95).

I imagine the ratings on FSN couldn't have possibly been that high. Impact was usually a lead in for things like fishing or shooting gallery or something lame like that. I don't imagine FSN having a wide variety of viewers.

·
Premium Member
44,184 Posts
I thought Dusty's booking was terrible. Over gimmicky, lame characters, some of the worst finishes I've ever seen QUOTE]

How is that any different from now? :p
I'm not saying it is. What I am saying is that I don't understand how 2005 is considered some kind of golden age when Dusty had the book for the first half of the year and the show was awful.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I remember the timeslot changing a few times on FSN, at least in Southern California. At first it was on Fridays at 3PM, then they added a 2AM replay I think. Then it was 4PM Fridays with a replay at 5PM for part of 2005. I'll never forget rushing home from school on Fridays to catch Impact, good times (I didn't get DVR until fall 2005).

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I went out my way to watch TNA 3am in the mornings,set my alarm so I can wake up. That when I was "EMOTIONALLY" invested in the product and it all started with Dusty with a little help from Russo early on but you can tell Russo did not have a big influence and was on the way out of town.

You guys can pick out the bad stuff like Trytan(who had great promos leading to his debut btw) but the bad stuff was minimum. It was a lot of great stuff like Kid kash vs. Styles Impact match, Daniels/Styles feud, Daniels/Primetime feud, XXX/AMW feud, seeing Garza upset Hall,it was a lot of cool stuff and the ppvs was really good. It was a simple time in TNA.

I always prefer 1 hour wrestling shows. I just think the need to have weekly 2 hour shows is over done. I don't care how big your roster is, you can sell a ppv better. Fans at home just not interested in watching Raw or Impact for two hours each week. WWE AM is a great show because it was a 1 hour version of Raw. Speaking of which, WWE AM get the same ratings as Impact.

·
Squared Circle Gimmick
5,371 Posts
I'm not saying it is. What I am saying is that I don't understand how 2005 is considered some kind of golden age when Dusty had the book for the first half of the year and the show was awful.
It is... Not perfect, but better then in the past.

With that said, I don't recall Booking to ever be perfect in the history of pro wrestling so......

·
Squared Circle Gimmick
5,371 Posts
I went out my way to watch TNA 3am in the mornings,set my alarm so I can wake up. That when I was "EMOTIONALLY" invested in the product and it all started with Dusty with a little help from Russo early on but you can tell Russo did not have a big influence and was on the way out of town.

You guys can pick out the bad stuff like Trytan(who had great promos leading to his debut btw) but the bad stuff was minimum. It was a lot of great stuff like Kid kash vs. Styles Impact match, Daniels/Styles feud, Daniels/Primetime feud, XXX/AMW feud, seeing Garza upset Hall,it was a lot of cool stuff and the ppvs was really good. It was a simple time in TNA.

I always prefer 1 hour wrestling shows. I just think the need to have weekly 2 hour shows is over done. I don't care how big your roster is, you can sell a ppv better. Fans at home just not interested in watching Raw or Impact for two hours each week. WWE AM is a great show because it was a 1 hour version of Raw. Speaking of which, WWE AM get the same ratings as Impact.
I like one hour Wrestling programs as well. However, today standers, is for your main wrestling show to be 2 hours.

The only way we can get a 1 hour show again, that people care about, is certain Indy promotions growing balls and trying to become something...

or just a new promotion altogether.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I completley agree with you. Dusty's booking was way off, I mean didn't Monty Brown turn heel and become Jarrett's lackey under his term?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Speaking of ratings. How comes TNA hit it's most consistent patch of 1.3s for Impact during the first half of 2009? When the MEM was basically the whole focus of the show, along with the Sting v Foley fued?

I am asking this question because pretty much everyone here including myself thought TNA was boring at that time (except the Sting v Foley fued which I enjoyed), yet it got a good consistent amount of 1.3s... not that it's anything much better than the ratings this year though.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Dusty booked 4 critically acclaimed PPVs and one average PPV - Destination X 2005.His negatives were doing too many gimmick matches on one card,as well the Tryan character and the Monty Brown heel turn.

I prefer him to Russo.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
but impact back then was a must watch, for sure we would get atleast one increadible xdivision match, and yeah at time we would get finishings that didnt make much since but we wouldnt care, because we had just finish watching the best hour of wrestling that was on tv back then, and the ppvs were also increadible, because the x division was for sure to be present, i would tape this shows on my vcr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I enjoyed the FSN run; From about October of 04 till January 05 I watched it and enjoyed it tnen I got back into WWE as they were starting that 05 hot run on Raw but then following the ECW PPV the show seemed to fall off and I got back into TNA.

All in all I enjoyed the FSN product then more then I do now; You had good X Division action, a solid tag team division, a better balance of fresh faces and big stars.

You had some big stars like Hall, Nash, Hardy, Jarrett, Raven, Page but you also had fresh talent getting lots of TV time like Monty Brown, AMW, Daniels, Team Canada, AJ Styles.

Personally I didn't love the format with 10 minute time limits and draws being decided by judges and an overuse of squash matches.

I also thought the scrolling at the bottom of the screen and the fox box at the top of the screen was annoying but all in all in terms of content it was a much more enjoyable show.

Dusty made some mistakes but what you have to remember is that not every decision was Dusty Rhodes as he was being heavily edited by the Jarrett's.

The thing I find funny is for whatever mistakes Dusty Rhodes made he was booted from creative within six months and yet Russo has been making constant mistakes since 2006 and has remained with creative for years.

Another thing I found funny is as soon as Dusty left TNA, Dusty was snapped up by WWE and joined their creative team and had a positive influence on the Smackdown brand from the Summer of 05 till about early 07.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Russo wasn't head booker when most 1.3s were around in 2009.
I Know Dutch mantell was, but he is not really any better than Russo now is he? I mean under his tenure we had retarded shit like MEM pretty much owning TNA, BP and the fake Sarah Palin, Brother Ray and Brother Devon being booked in a PPV main event etc...

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I Know Dutch mantell was, but he is not really any better than Russo now is he? I mean under his tenure we had retarded shit like MEM pretty much owning TNA, BP and the fake Sarah Palin, Brother Ray and Brother Devon being booked in a PPV main event etc...
The head booker was actually Jeff Jarrett.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
The head booker was actually Jeff Jarrett.
There was never any evidence of this and this was never really reported on this is just my opinion but in Jeff's father's Memphis promotion, Jerry Jarrett had a system in place where Jerry Lawler would book 6 months of television and he and Bill Dundee would book 6 months so no one got burned out and this system worked for years.

I always believed since Russo, Jarrett, and Mantell took over creative that a similar system had been put in place and if you actually look at the TNA shows from 06 to the summer of 09 there's a pattern from about Bound For Glory to Against All Odds the shows have alot more entertainment base (Russo style booking) and from Against All Odds to Bound For Glory the shows took on a more wrestling style approach.

Look at October 07 till March 08 you had The Shark Boy Skits, The AJ turn, The Tomko turn, Angle pimping out his wife.

And from Febuary 08 to October 08 you had the Joe-Angle build, The World X Cup, Joe vs. Kazarian on TV, the phasing out of Black Reign and Rellik.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I think they flipped flop back and forth like Sullivan/Russo did in WCW. Russo was Dixie boy and Mantell was JJ boy, but since JJ power has been phased out it's been all Russo. The period of Octobe-December 2009 they let the wrestlers booked themselves mostly(Russo was too busy working with Bischoff planning the January 4th show,that's on record)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts