Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread, someone said TNA should be a 21st Century Wrestling Company. What does that mean exactly? I have been thinking about that and I have a few ideas.

1) Marketing. Lets face it, you don't need a marketing degree to see that TNA's marketing is nearly non-exsistant. How does on market nowadays and how can TNA do it. Its all internet and viral marketing.
And before anyone says it, not Twitter. Twitter is not a viable marketing tool, its a toy like Myspace was and will vanish into the fads of the past. What I mean is viral marketing. For example, there was a movie early this year called the Devil Inside. Its sucked ass. But I got to number 1 in its first week. Why? Its all thanks to viral marketing. Banners and ads for that movie were everywhere and they got attention. Yes the actually product sucked, but it got attention.
In the scope of wrestling was ROH Final Battle 2010. Now this is personal experiance, but I saw vids and banners of that on this site and Youtube. I had never watched ROH outside of a few matches, but I was interested. It was a good show.
TNA getting themselves on websites and heavy use of video ads( and done well), they could get at least a few curious to give them a look and maybe get a bite.

2) Media. This goes into marketing, but is broad enough to warrent its own spot. Again, this doesn't include Twitter, but a website that has some use, Youtube. Youtube has grown from a fun little fad to a powerful media tool that everyone has a use for. Even more remarkable is that many a inspiring movie maker has used it to make it big, abeit in a smaller way than Hollywood.
Rooster Teeth, Channel Awesome, Cinemassacre and others have become actual companies because of the use of Youtube. Additionally we have smaller producers, such as the makers of Marble Hornets(who became a web hit, had a bunch of imitators and are getting a DVD release) are getting decent attention.
So TNA, a big company, should be able to use it well? But how? Well, Impact is only 2 hours. Not always enough time a lot of stuff. Have and extend fueds on to the web. WWE I believe has already done it in a fashion, TNA could do it, but in a different way. Have "extended online" segements that show what happened outside of whats on tv, show what we didn't have time to show you.
Additionally, TNA could take what many of these small popular producers have done and make great use of them. They could have mini-movies in the fashion of Marble Hornets or the Joker Blogs ad create fueds, explain backstorys or hype debuting wrestlers.
Another site to use if Blip. Many of the above mentioned companies have moved thier videos there and it has helped them greatly. Longer videos and money from ads would be a big deal to the company good enough to take advantage.

3) Culture. Wait, what do I mean by culture? Well, what is going on in entertainment and media today? Well there is one area, TV culture. What is that? Right now its stuff like Jersey Shore and Kardashians. Sickening isn't it. Its all hype and flashiness and 3D effects. Empty and hollow. TNA has tried to get it and WWE is tring to get it, but should they want it?
There is another culture out there, the Internet Culture. Its memes and cynical anaylsis and tropes. Its taking the past and looking at it differently. Its looking at the present and for the most part, not wearing blindfolds. Its the modern counter-culture in a way.
So why should TNA go for it? Better question, why not? Internet is clashing with TV, both in viewing and cultural importance. Studios will use the net, but don't like it getting more pull than them. Net producers don't mind TV, but feel that they have failed and that they(net producers) can do better. Its a type of culture war.
TNA should do it because, well, not many are. Most shows on TV are embrassing the TV/Hollywood Culture (WWE included). What is TNA went for Internet Culture? Well all I can do is guess, but Id say it would open a new audience. The net heads would see some of what they've experanced on the vastness on the web being used on a wrestling show and think "What are they doing? Hey I get that referance. Hey these little videos are interesting"
Ok, perhaps Im just thinking outload with that one. But maybe not. It would make TNA stand out over most of whats on TV, including WWE.

4) Writting. Lets take you back to a simpler time. In wrestling, faces were larger than life heroes, heels were dastardly snakes. Fueds were simple battles of good vs evil. However, it started to get a little boring. Then ECW came along and along with the blood and fire, it changed the dynamic of characters. Faces were not clean cut and pure, heels less cartoonish and more evil. WWE later took this concept and popularized it. It was the Attitude Era and it was the most popular time in the industry.
Years later, while not as extreme, many of those character types are still around (more in TNA than WWE). However, they, much like thier more idealized predacessors, have become boring. What can be done? What hasn't been done? Well there is one thing, something that has become more popular in fiction: The Deconstruction. Wrestling has some many different characters that have been engrained into the wrestling culture, what better way to take those further than to decontruct them. It would bring a little realism (though not with all the characters, but most) to the product, but still maintain kayfabe. It would allow TNA to play around with concepts that have never really been done before in the industry.
Not to be all deconstruction, there are a mirrad of character architypes that have never been done that could intergrate into stories (In an hour I could find five on TV tropes to use) All it takes is to think outside the box.

I could come up with more, but its late and Ive been typing for a while on this. While this is just my view, its one that I feel that could work if done right

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
5) Respect for youth.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
TNA is a 21st century wrestling company with a 20th century mentality. Let's look at the facts:

TNA thought bringing in Hulk Hogan would put them OTT.
TNA use to start Impact with pyro on their stage and in the ring
TNA's ppv entrance setup use to look like Nitro's
TNA was DYING to get on Monday nights to 'compete' with WWE
TNA has been running a power struggle angle since its inception
TNA has 12 PPVs per month
TNA currently employs the use of stage, big screen, and ramp for their entrances

These are all 90's staples and NOT someone with a pulse on the wrestling landscape in the 21st century will do. Remember, TNA (by admission from a lot of the people who started the company) was to find the 'lost' WCW fans. Not to create new fans...but to find the 'lost' ones.

Using social media is easier said then done. I think the use of social media for TNA is very elementary and could be used more advantageous in just little aspects. Remember the Jericho video from a few years ago where he was being a dick to fans in Canada? People didn't know if it was a work or shoot and even the dirt sheets didn't know...THAT is a GOOD example of using social media to wrestling's benefit. Even local news picked it up. Now it could have been legit..who knows? Tara and Brooke walking around in parking lot being recorded with an iphone and then attacked by Sarita and Rosita (who are using forearm smashing and putting the boots to them wrestling style) is NOT believable and fails to work with social media in a productive way. The Jericho stuff came off as WWE being with the times and understanding everything. The Tara stuff comes off as TNA TRYING to get with the times, but still not understanding how. Things like the Jericho thing should not be done ALL THE TIME. But rarely.

There are other things that I can get into, but I will later if people care.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've always thought it would be a good idea for TNA (or any company besides WWE, simply because they have their niche) to go WAAAY outside the box on anything that's been done before. What do I mean by that? Become a wrestling organization based on competition on the global scale. Like UFC for example, they do have fighters under contract, but not a set roster per-say. The reason for that is because they are always looking for the best and brightest stars to fight and win the most prestigious title in the MMA world.

What would bring TNA more glory and prestige than setting it up in that manner? I'll focus on the Main Event scene to make it simpler. To bring this style in, obviously Robert Roode would be the title holder, and those trying to get to him would be aiming for the title. No tournaments (Casuals and TV viewers get bored with that, IMO), but heated battles between the best of the heavyweight scene all trying to reach his title. Roode would remain inactive at this time of course. Hold shows in Japan, Mexico, England... everywhere. Lose the roster and make it seem like a revolving door policy for those qualified (to be determine by Career Success, Title Reigns, Marketability).

As I said earlier have heated battles (actual wrestling, no sports entertainment BS) between guys like James Storm and some hard ass japanese guy, or Kurt Angle versus another world class tech wrestler or something. After working their way up the chains (with mini feuds along the way) it finally culminates at a Super Show where Roode finally comes out from behind the shadows to meet his challenger. To add, feuds would be deep, and meaningful. No "you stole my girlfriend" shit or nothing silly. Promos would be UFC style.

Same goes with all the titles. I think it is an amazing idea, one that could really revive wrestling and bring it back to a global market. This formula would enhance anyone involved as they are all sold as being the best. Not to mention it would be a huge victory on TNA's side over WWE because WWE is too deeply rooted in their own history to make such a drastic change. Surely, it would create giant revenues, and with that they could sign guys like CM Punk and Bryan Danielson (he's not Daniel Bryan to me).

It would be the perfect way to turn TNA into a wrestling goliath and in turn finally roll around the next era of wrestling.

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
I am out the loop when it comes to pro wrestling casual fans.

From what I've seen, casual fans:
1. Casuals usually only order one ppv from their favorite company. Mania with WWE and BFG for TNA. Even Summerslam,Royal Rumble,etc. has downgraded. I think if the other ppvs were cheaper like $10-15, more people would order.

2. People go to wrestling shows to see an event not a wrestling show. Half of the people you see in the arenas at WWE shows probably don't watch WWE. They just go for the atmosphere. Luckily, it works in WWE favor because it means more FAMILIES going to their shows and buying merchandise. Sadly, TNA doesn't have this luxury. TNA stays in Orlando and when they are on the road, its 6 matches and that's it. TNA have basebrawl and the annual UK tour, which are both successful "events" but WWE have events every week. UFC shows are EVENTS. I think TNA need to start making those house shows look like events. Going to a WWE show or NWA show in the 80's were events because you know you would get either outlandish guys(Hogan,Savage,etc.) or a Ric Flair clinic.

3. Everything seems to be fast pace. You have to strike when the iron is hot, look at Brock vs. Cena. It's either now or never.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
TNA is a 21st century wrestling company with a 20th century mentality. Let's look at the facts:

TNA use to start Impact with pyro on their stage and in the ring
TNA's ppv entrance setup use to look like Nitro's
TNA currently employs the use of stage, big screen, and ramp for their entrances

These are all 90's staples and NOT someone with a pulse on the wrestling landscape in the 21st century will do. Remember, TNA (by admission from a lot of the people who started the company) was to find the 'lost' WCW fans. Not to create new fans...but to find the 'lost' ones.
What, are they supposed to enter through the crowd?

·
Registered
249 Posts
You Talk about how Twitter is useless, but this so called website "Blip" ... alot of people haven't heard of unlike, Twitter. Just look at the traffic:

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You Talk about how Twitter is useless, but this so called website "Blip" ... alot of people haven't heard of unlike, Twitter. Just look at the traffic:
First, were did this come from. Second, I already looked it up. Blip gets 300 million views a month.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
What, are they supposed to enter through the crowd?
Glad to see you missed the point. No, they shouldn't come through the crowd, but how about a stage that...well...I don't know...DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THE ONE PRO WRESTLING HAS BEEN USING SINCE 1997. It has even gotten so bad that at one point CHIKARA, CZW, ROH, and other indie promotions had a mini setup that resembles WWE.

Secondly...Twitter is useless. How has it benefited TNA? Making sure people Tweet during the show is one of the dumbest things a pro wrestling promoter can do...some consider it advertising...but its about how effective it is and at the end of the day its not. Great! Austin Aries in one of the trending topics in North America. No what? Have ratings gone up? No. Buyrates? No. Live gates? No. But don't worry everyone...that's not important...as long as Austin Aries is trending!! Its pointless pimping and WWE has none conned TNA (and the rest of the wrestling world) that trending on Twitter actually means something...it does not.

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
Glad to see you missed the point. No, they shouldn't come through the crowd, but how about a stage that...well...I don't know...DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THE ONE PRO WRESTLING HAS BEEN USING SINCE 1997. It has even gotten so bad that at one point CHIKARA, CZW, ROH, and other indie promotions had a mini setup that resembles WWE.

Secondly...Twitter is useless. How has it benefited TNA? Making sure people Tweet during the show is one of the dumbest things a pro wrestling promoter can do...some consider it advertising...but its about how effective it is and at the end of the day its not. Great! Austin Aries in one of the trending topics in North America. No what? Have ratings gone up? No. Buyrates? No. Live gates? No. But don't worry everyone...that's not important...as long as Austin Aries is trending!! Its pointless pimping and WWE has none conned TNA (and the rest of the wrestling world) that trending on Twitter actually means something...it does not.
Yeah, the whole titantron thing was old 10 years ago. It hasn't change since. I think TNA don't really need one since the shows are taped and nothing really happens backstage. I am a firm believer that everything should happen in front of a live audience. Russo killed WCW and their pockets with those stupid backstage skits, the Edge/Kane/Paul Bearer feud would have not been so dumb if they kept everything in front of a live audience, as well as Big Show killing Kurt Angle,Katie Vick,etc. titantrons are responsible for a lot of crap.

Twitter,Youtube,Facebook,etc. is kind of pointless to a company like TNA since 1. They are on a national platform everyweek on primetime tv. 2. They have their own website. If I was a company, I would rather for you to go to my website, so I can try to sell you some merchandise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts