Wrestling Forum banner

Title Matches Opening Shows,ugh

1176 10
Am i the only one who is a little miffed at the fact that shows have a midcard title opening the show

The WWe Ic and Tag titles specifically tend to p me off, i figured that the secondary belt would be in the middle and the tag titles in the top three,

having any title match open the show is a bit disgracing, the belts are suppose to be the end goals for wrestlers careers

one of the great things about the earlier tna ppvs and WAW shows is that the title matches go on last, really makes them feel important

lets say for example the tag title match from WM 22, Kane/Show vs Carlito/Masters doesnt really scream big money(then again neither did NAO vs Foley/Funk from WM14 but it at least it went on 3rd to last and Santinov/Nexus was right before the main event) but the match itself was the right quality for an opener and the show as a whole being so entertaining that it didnt matter as much. STILL the tag team titles shouldn't be so low on the show to begin with

Undercard titles are somewhat okay i guess, big exception i can think of is the wcw cruisweight title. The cruiserweights were a legitimate reason to watch WCW back then, so much so that you didnt mind the Cruiserweight title opener tradition becasue that meant you were usually guarunteed at least one good to great match right off the bat

problem is when tna envelloped that tradition the first match of the show was often the best of the night and their was little point to watching the rest

a personal exception of mine in this regard is the tag title match from WM26, maybe its the mishmash of personalities in that match that deserves the usual push down the Mania card or the bell time but i dont know, maybe you know
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Celestial Messiah
39,109 Posts
Sometimes the title match needs to start out the show. Whether its a fast paced match, AKA an IC or US title or Tag match. Or if you have three big matches, and limited time, so like in the Rumble or Chamber you have to start out with it.

The key problem is structuring the show so the crowd wont get burnt out or bored.

· Registered
861 Posts
A title match opening a show can be amazing. Remember Jericho vs. Triple H? SUre, there won't ever be anything like that again as there's no one in the company at either of their level but the point still stands. I hate the mentality that a great early match is a detriment to a show. If anything it should push the main eventers to stop coasting and try new stuff.

And the tag titles almost seem like a punishment at this point. They have meaning, it's just not a positive one.

· Registered
2,838 Posts
I couldn't care less, tbh. Especially on raw- I watch that as a whole show, not a series of competitons. It would be a little weird on a ppv, because they are still structured like a series of matches, but kicking off a ppv with an IC match has been pretty common for at least the last decade- they want to get the crowd going.

· Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,281 Posts
IC title matches usually kicked off PPVs dateing back to about 96-97,nothing wrong with it atall

· Registered
185 Posts
The WWE/WHC being defended first is quite frustrating, because you already know the outcome before the match as especially on a non PPV show, no title is going to be changed.

· #JeterFarewellTour
1,335 Posts
It has long been said that the most important match of the night, apart from the Main Event, is the opener. It sets the pace for the night and hopefully gets the crowd emotionally invested for the rest of the night. So no, I really don't have a problem with a mid-card title opening the show. Sometimes can be the best matches of the night.

· Banned
6,761 Posts
What a ridiculous thing to bitch about. However, if I had to add my two cents, which I will then I am going to say that the first match of the show should be a number one contender's match for either tag title, or mid card title of the show. If booked properly a title match can be a great way to start off the show.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.