Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start a thread mainly because I am new here, and I didn't get to address someone's point in another thread. I want to be clear that I want all promotions to have credible titles, and not have world titles thrown from person to the next in less than an hour or in a few weeks.

This thread is about bringing credibility and respect back to the titles specifically in TNA. Is this at all possible at this point?

It just doesn't seem likely at this point with the current creative and writing staff. What are your thoughts? Close this thread if there will be a problem. I am not here looking for trouble. I am disgruntled fan of wrestling period.

· Registered
1,419 Posts
actually the tna title hasn't changed hands very much in the last 2 years. aj held it for 9 months straight, then hardy for 5-6 then anderson for the last 2 i believe. aj held it for so long i don't even remember who was champ before then. iirc i think it might have been angle who i think held it for quite a while.

· SAL
2,514 Posts
Titles don't have credibility. People do. One great reign from a guy who puts on good matches and convinces the crowd he cares about the title will make up for 100 crap reigns before it.

· Registered
12,980 Posts
I always hear praises about AJ reign but his title reign was lackluster mostly because he was Ric Flair Jr. and the matches wasn't up to his X division matches.

Oh yeah, I still think AJ and Joe needs to go back to the X division full time. They starting to look pathetic out there. I think they would benefit from the change.

· Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Outside of the women's tag belts and the tv title no one cares about, TNA doesn't really have much of a problem with title credibility.
I think with recent events they might. I don't want Robbie E. to hold a second X-division title, or Ink Ink to win the World Tag Team titles. Horrible booking on the part of the Russo will hurt the talent and the prestige of the titles. TNA's goal should not be making people laugh at their product, or face palm.

· Registered
348 Posts
I think with recent events they might. I don't want Robbie E. to hold a second X-division title, or Ink Ink to win the World Tag Team titles. Horrible booking on the part of the Russo will hurt the talent and the prestige of the titles. TNA's goal should not be making people laugh at their product, or face palm.
What makes you think Robbie E. or Ink Inc. are going to win the tag team titles or X Division Title respectfully?

· Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Robbie went over Jay Lethal last year, and seems to be in a current feud with Kaz. TNA also seems to be high on this Jersey Shore gimmick, so I expect someone like Russo to book him for a second title victory with a dirty win. It seems like something he likes to do.

Moore is friends with Hardy so naturally they might get a push for the titles even without the proper build up as a team as a whole.

Better X-division stars could feud with Kaz (Williams, Lethal, Daniels, etc). Hell, I think even Magnus should get a shot at least to prepare him for the future. Or they could bring in talent from ROH to work with Kaz for a while.

Maybe Robbie E would be better without the lame Shore gimmick. Who knows?

· Registered
1,419 Posts
robbie e winning the belt with all the jersey shore people interfering would seriously get him some massive heat and the guy imo is great on the mic. he's great at playing a tool you want to hate. i think he'll probably get the belt again. him feuding with kaz won't be too bad imo. after that we'll be moving into the summer and i expect the xdivision to take off again going into bound for glory. williams and lethal will probably become more relevant again building into that. hoping we see wolfe and magnus back soon too tag division really needs em atm.

· Banned
18,342 Posts
Title changed hands 2 times in 2008 (Lockdown and Bound For Glory), 3 times in 2009 (Lockdown, Slammiversary and No Surrender) and 2 times in 2010 (April 19th and Bound For Glory). That is smart and logical booking, when you look at it from credibility POV (I'm not talking about storylines, angles or wrestlers).

In 2011, we already had 2 title changes, and there will be more, I'm 100% sure.

· Registered
1,419 Posts
Title changed hands 2 times in 2008 (Lockdown and Bound For Glory), 3 times in 2009 (Lockdown, Slammiversary and No Surrender) and 2 times in 2010 (April 19th and Bound For Glory). That is smart and logical booking, when you look at it from credibility POV (I'm not talking about storylines, angles or wrestlers).

In 2011, we already had 2 title changes, and there will be more, I'm 100% sure.
bleh changed comment didn't wanna be a douche with spoilers i kinda read ahead but i'm gonna summarize 2 more title changes this year.

· Registered
251 Posts
Theres no simple solution to this problem the only way to really bring cred back to the titles is to have real champs. Stop strapping the title to a guy just because his name carries a little weight. Actually do some scouting and bring in new talent to fill out divisions and create competition on air every week. Prime example TNA has a Tv title yet it never gets defended on tv that makes no sense.It above all others should be put up week in and week out make it mean something to hold that belt. As for the X division title all they have to do is bring back what made that division soo great hardcore blaze of glory wrestling.The tag team division needs real teams to make it credible again they should hold an open tourniment double elimination style winners fight winners losers fight losers and the final team from each face off with the champs in a triple threat tornado tag title match in a cage. Then theres the womens title you want a credible division thats simple Gail Kim ,Awesome Kong Beth Pheonix, Natalya Nightheart, plus a couple they have now and wham!!! I hope this helps with your quest for answers.

· Registered
1,110 Posts
Titles don't have credibility. People do. One great reign from a guy who puts on good matches and convinces the crowd he cares about the title will make up for 100 crap reigns before it.

Although having a title change hands too often can decrease it's perceived value, to me its all about the person who holds the title. If the title holder is someone or a team I consider "weak" in other words not title material then it can lessen the title's value. Now on the other hand that same wrestler can surprise everyone and raise his game whether it be in ring or promo skills. The perfect example of this IMO, in TNA, is Madison Rayne.

· SAL
2,514 Posts
Although having a title change hands too often can decrease it's perceived value, to me its all about the person who holds the title. If the title holder is someone or a team I consider "weak" in other words not title material then it can lessen the title's value. Now on the other hand that same wrestler can surprise everyone and raise his game whether it be in ring or promo skills. The perfect example of this IMO, in TNA, is Madison Rayne.
Of course you're right. And a bad reign will hurt the effect of a title change. But any one person can make a title important again by connecting with the crowd. Mick Foley and the WWF Hardcore Title. It was literally a piece of tin. But Mankind loved it, and we loved Mankind, so we bought it. My point is that a title is nothing more than another prop a company uses to help a wrestler get over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.