Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, about a year ago, my wife and I decided to buy a tiny house in a fishing village on the South West coast of South Africa. Its a small little town with about 7000 people in off-season and then 2 months of on-season there is about 30,000

I wanted to make this thread to, i dunno - make a log about how much we have changed this place + get some ideas from other tiny house people and then I guess discussing property in general, since I am in the process of buying a place to AirBnB in Cape Town

so, your own experiences in property or renovations or DIY is more than welcome - as well as comments, questions about South Africa or in general

I want to share so much as possible, so nothing is off the table

Lets begin?

This is the place when we bought it. It was a converted boathouse where people would store their summer boats. Its a whole 36 Sqm with an open deck and in here, still has a garage for a front door :D

that piece of shit garage was real fun when the town had a cricket (the bug, not the sport) plague last year

we bought it for a handy sum of around 37k USD (lol) all in - lawyer and transfer fees - the works

It has one parking, here where the small white pickup (bakkie in South Africa) stands and was generally in a serviceable state

inside there was a pretty shoddy kitchen / that started to get rot from damp - but not too bad

no dedicated space for a Fridge / no oven, no stove (fridge is standing the the living room there )

single wash basin. There was also two lofts which i'll post about later

the town is by the ocean and here is our 'harbour' :) - mostly for fishermen. Its around 40 KMs from the nearest highway. Ocean behind us, mountains before us

the wildlife just kinda roams around :)

that is it for now

I hope i have the discipline to update this - cause I don't want todo a blog, but I do want to keep record. So the 'Anything' section seems like the place XD

·
Registered
The Archbishop of Banterbury
5,768 Posts
This is badass and right up my street! I've been wanting to do something like this for years, but prices in the UK are easily at least quadruple the amount you paid.

I have always wanted to fully convert one myself and document it on YouTube, as I'm planning to do with a project car.

Honestly, I watch videos of this kind of thing all the time.

The place looks great and is a great base to work on.

·
Registered
25,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is badass and right up my street! I've been wanting to do something like this for years, but prices in the UK are easily at least quadruple the amount you paid.

I have always wanted to fully convert one myself and document it on YouTube, as I'm planning to do with a project car.

Honestly, I watch videos of this kind of thing all the time.

The place looks great and is a great base to work on.
yeah, i’ve been looking at UK places and they are expensive AF

always have been

you can do it in Spain?

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
yeah, i’ve been looking at UK places and they are expensive AF

always have been

you can do it in Spain?
Theoretically you can do it in Spain (we own an apartment here and rent it out), but the bureaucracy is terrifying and expensive.

Just as an example of the crap you have to deal with here:

Person A wants to buy a finca in a rural part of Spain (and old farmhouse with land, often not connected to water or electricity). They find said Finca and offer to purchase it for the asking price of let's say 10,000€ (entirely possible, even here in Catalunya). Person A offers to buy said property and the seller accepts.

The Spanish state then needs to determine the value of the asset, based on their own records. Said records show a discrepancy of tens of thousands of Euros more, because it once sold for more during the Franco regime and inflation determines it should be worth more, irrelevant of the fact that it's been left for sale for over a decade with no interest. Plus other taxes and paperwork.

Fine, you want to build on it or renovate it. Oh no you don't! You must apply to the town hall for planning permission. Okay! Fairly normal. Except your particular region has decided that you are not allowed to do x, y or z, which the neighbouring region are more than happy to allow. Do your research you might say. Good luck! They make it up as you go along and will make your life difficult if the person in the office doesn't like your face.

Then the bank might just hold your money for no reason, to which you'll be met with shrugs when you go in to get someone to deal with it.

Then there's if you're from outside the EU.. Thanks Brexit for that!

·
Registered
25,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Theoretically you can do it in Spain (we own an apartment here and rent it out), but the bureaucracy is terrifying and expensive.

Just as an example of the crap you have to deal with here:

Person A wants to buy a finca in a rural part of Spain (and old farmhouse with land, often not connected to water or electricity). They find said Finca and offer to purchase it for the asking price of let's say 10,000€ (entirely possible, even here in Catalunya). Person A offers to buy said property and the seller accepts.

The Spanish state then needs to determine the value of the asset, based on their own records. Said records show a discrepancy of tens of thousands of Euros more, because it once sold for more during the Franco regime and inflation determines it should be worth more, irrelevant of the fact that it's been left for sale for over a decade with no interest. Plus other taxes and paperwork.

Fine, you want to build on it or renovate it. Oh no you don't! You must apply to the town hall for planning permission. Okay! Fairly normal. Except your particular region has decided that you are not allowed to do x, y or z, which the neighbouring region are more than happy to allow. Do your research you might say. Good luck! They make it up as you go along and will make your life difficult if the person in the office doesn't like your face.

Then the bank might just hold your money for no reason, to which you'll be met with shrugs when you go in to get someone to deal with it.

Then there's if you're from outside the EU.. Thanks Brexit for that!

yyyeaaahh... that sounds eerily similar to my house in Germany - what a nightmare

so glad i sold it

Wales it is for you then mate XD

so, @Dickhead1990 - I blame you for this for mentioning video

i remembered we took some video here and there - so i dropped it on youtube

don't worry, I won't be turning into a youtuber 'like and subscribe' XD

quick tour of day 1

I've seen videos of people living in tiny houses and really small apartments, so small sometimes that i wonder how you don't get claustrophobia. It's amazing that people can live in such a tiny space and be happy
its real easy - in South Africa we all live in massive houses in the city cause its so unsafe. Our place in Pretoria is 550 SQM with 7 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms

and at some point i thought 'man... this is too much' - cause we just kept buying stuff to keep on filling it. You buy so much junk its crazy

so, we started flipping it around - move to a tinier place, have it as cosy as possible, become debt free

we're basically at the moment 1 month from being debt free largely as a result of this - it has enabled me to buy another place and the plan is to buy 5 places if all goes well in the next 5 years - all for AirBnb

when you think about it in that context, living like this is a breeze XD

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yyyeaaahh... that sounds eerily similar to my house in Germany - what a nightmare
Yeah we have a lot of rules and regulations and annoyances if you opt to own a house instead of living in some apartment building full of annoying shitty "neighbours"
Then again, the fact you live alone, surrounded by a nice garden is worth all the trouble, instead of having all the horror stories my friends and colleagues tell a bout.

·
Registered
25,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah we have a lot of rules and regulations and annoyances if you opt to own a house instead of living in some apartment building full of annoying shitty "neighbours"
Then again, the fact you live alone, surrounded by a nice garden is worth all the trouble, instead of having all the horror stories my friends and colleagues tell a bout.
well, it was double the horror for me then - cause I bought apartment buildings

4 buildings to convert into apartments - not only did i end up having to deal with government because of the planning, i also had to deal with government because it was a historical building and then I had to deal with 'shitty neighbours' cause I sold apartments to them XD XD

i just created my own problems every day

all 3 with the white arrows was mine - and one more building in the back - after you have it this big - you never want big again

luckily its all sold and i made a nice profit - so its all good in the end. Just took 10 years of tears XD

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
not only did i end up having to deal with government because of the planning, i also had to deal with government because it was a historical building and then I had to deal with 'shitty neighbours' cause I sold apartments to them XD XD
Yeah it's a mess. I know a few owners of apartment buildings in munich and while they rake in mone from renting it out, even they complain how much of a hassle it is, the government is annoying, regulations are annoying, then you have to deal with people who don't even speak german and follow no rules.
Friends at work also complain about that, living in apartment buildings it's like "constant noise", "cops are there all the time", "stuff is broken, nobody cares", "building full of notices from renters to stop acting like wild animals",
A person on a 1860 Munich fanforum even told stories how he sold an apartment building he owned, because he was sick and tired of dealing with both the regulations (the current one especially, the russian war) and the inhabitants, he just flat out sold it, he is bound to leave europe for good with the money he made.
But as a home owner or landlord you just get fucked in the EU and currently even more so.

·
Mrs. Randy Orton
Queen Cobra
20,081 Posts
they don’t expect you to live… they expect you to Die!

(Which bond movie was that again? XD)
“No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die”

Goldfinger, the greatest Bond movie of all time.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Yeah it's a mess. I know a few owners of apartment buildings in munich and while they rake in mone from renting it out, even they complain how much of a hassle it is, the government is annoying, regulations are annoying, then you have to deal with people who don't even speak german and follow no rules.
Friends at work also complain about that, living in apartment buildings it's like "constant noise", "cops are there all the time", "stuff is broken, nobody cares", "building full of notices from renters to stop acting like wild animals",
A person on a 1860 Munich fanforum even told stories how he sold an apartment building he owned, because he was sick and tired of dealing with both the regulations (the current one especially, the russian war) and the inhabitants, he just flat out sold it, he is bound to leave europe for good with the money he made.
But as a home owner or landlord you just get fucked in the EU and currently even more so.
It's not an EU thing, it's just countries like Germany, France and Spain get off on bureaucracy. You won't have half of the issues in places like Poland. Even the UK was better for landlords as EU citizens. Since then, they're trying to tax landlords silly amounts. I get that it's causing housing problems, but many landlords are what are known as accidental landlords, I.e. They've inherited property or they had property left empty as they've been forced to relocate or met a partner with a house.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts

so glad i sold it

Wales it is for you then mate XD

so, @Dickhead1990 - I blame you for this for mentioning video

i remembered we took some video here and there - so i dropped it on youtube

don't worry, I won't be turning into a youtuber 'like and subscribe' XD

quick tour of day 1

its real easy - in South Africa we all live in massive houses in the city cause its so unsafe. Our place in Pretoria is 550 SQM with 7 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms

and at some point i thought 'man... this is too much' - cause we just kept buying stuff to keep on filling it. You buy so much junk its crazy

so, we started flipping it around - move to a tinier place, have it as cosy as possible, become debt free

we're basically at the moment 1 month from being debt free largely as a result of this - it has enabled me to buy another place and the plan is to buy 5 places if all goes well in the next 5 years - all for AirBnb

when you think about it in that context, living like this is a breeze XD
Just got around to watching that video. That's a very good and livable space already. The bathroom is ready as is in my opinion, assuming that ventilation is good.

I would resurface the kitchen area, which can be done quite cheaply as a DIY job. You might even get away with restoring a Facebook marketplace find, like a lot of the van life people do. A bit of chalky paint here and there and it's good. Maybe an undercounter fridge freezer and a washing machine to go in the bathroom?

What are your plan for the garage door? Remove and replace with brickwork or just build a partitioning wall?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I dunno, I don't know anything about this or what doing any of this would entail, but I'd get rid of that wrap around kitchen thing pronto because it serves next to no purpose and looks cramped for an already small spot and divides the room. Extend the cabinets an extra 2-4 feet down the wall and book end it with a mini fridge and a microwave/toaster oven/hotplate or whatever.

Or If you wanted to be a real lunatic you could rip out the sink and get some weird shit like this.

Buy a dining room table like this.

Some chairs like

A TV on the wall the front gate is on on so you can see it from pretty much anywhere. A comfy loveseat under the steps to the small room, a singles comfy chair for a friend, coffee table for refreshments and a fresh coat of paint in a coastal breezy blue so it feels open. Decorate appropriately.

Maybe some durable but nice looking laminate flooring to match the railings, some cheap, durable, but lively looking rugs for warmth. Throw pillows for extra comfy.

I dunno, if it's an airbnb for couples or a couple, women will generally go wild for "chic" furniture even if they have no intention of ever actually using it; If they're only in town for a couple days chances are they're eating out anyways. Some cute paintings that evoke the locale, some fancy looking chairs and a bowl of fruit when they arrive and they be like..

·
Registered
25,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got around to watching that video. That's a very good and livable space already. The bathroom is ready as is in my opinion, assuming that ventilation is good.

I would resurface the kitchen area, which can be done quite cheaply as a DIY job. You might even get away with restoring a Facebook marketplace find, like a lot of the van life people do. A bit of chalky paint here and there and it's good. Maybe an undercounter fridge freezer and a washing machine to go in the bathroom?

What are your plan for the garage door? Remove and replace with brickwork or just build a partitioning wall?
plan for the garage door is either wall + wood door combo or Aluminium frame with frosted glass

since side door will be changed too, i know which way my head is at. :)

All this flexing and I'm still living in a 79 qm2 apartment.

Smh.

isn't that bigger than my tiny house?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts