Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wrestlemania 22 (2006) I remember it well.

The roster was thinning, Austin, Rock, Brock were all gone and Angle & Taker were on the way out.
Cena was pushed and the PG era was upon us, then,

HHH taps out to John Cena at WM22 and i thought - "Fuck this shit, im out'

and i pretty much switched off watching Raw on a regular basis,
tuned in every year a few weeks before 'mania to see what was going on,
same old shit, super cena overcoming the odds, not selling, not being funny, being incredibly annoying etc etc

Then the CM punk shoot, im back in and i've really enjoyed the last 12 months,
it really looked like they were going to develop the Cena character,
he lost to Punk, he was nt in the title picture, the Rock was getting the better of him,
Kane was asking him to 'embrace hate', he lost to the Rock, he lost to Tensai,
Piper, Edge, were questioning him, he was scared of Brock,
all this screamed, change.

What happened?

Nothing, reset, super Cena gets a beatdown for 15 mins, wins, back to goofy Cena the next night as if nothing has happened,
and to top it all, he's now in a main event match at the next PPV with the boss fpalm

I cant take it, if this is the script for this year, a big FU to anyone over the age of 13 then FU WWE,
Its so dissapointing to think of the direction the WWE could be in after ER to the one we are now in.

Even the Cena marks must surely be bored with this crap?

So ... Time to switch off? (Again)

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
To each his own. I don't think anybody can give you a good reason to watch or not watch, really. Cena's been that face of the company since 2005, and since he didn't turn heel against The Rock, I don't see him changing his role anytime soon.

If you're going to stop watching WWE again due to Cena's Superman character, then I say just stop watching Raw. Were it not for the weekly Rebounds, SmackDown would act like Cena dosen't even exist these days.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
i remember that time when HHH tapped out and Cena officialy became the man... Wow, I hated it. But i have to admit that i didn't switch off because of the reunion of DX (which quickly became crap) and the rebirth of ecw.

I switched off by 2009 after Mania. Oh god this year was horrible. HHH winning at Mania in one of the worst main event ever, then batista having a 24 hour long reign and then Orton/Cena feud... This kind feud is everything i hate in wwe today. No story, no emotion, no promos. Just attacks, attacks and stupid gimmick matches. I didn't switch off permanantly like you but i miss a lot of raws during this time.

I will not switch off today, because i love cm punk reign, D Bryan is fucking entertaining and we're going to see new wrestlers coming and after having seen them on fcw, damn, thay can deliver.

But I understand, bro.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
I switched off by 2009 after Mania. Oh god this year was horrible. HHH winning at Mania in one of the worst main event ever, then batista having a 24 hour long reign and then Orton/Cena feud... This kind feud is everything i hate in wwe today. No story, no emotion, no promos. Just attacks, attacks and stupid gimmick matches. I didn't switch off permanantly like you but i miss a lot of raws during this time.
Nobody can blame you for switching off in 2009. That was one of the worst years in Raw history. Definately the worst year since WWE went PG.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Totally agree with everything you said, however I wont be switching off. I just wont be watching Cena's tv time with much enthusiasm or concentration.

Im neither a Cena mark nor a Cena hater, I do quite like him but a character change/tweek is long overdue.

its boring, repetitive, annoying and he needs to change. Yes he sells loads of merch to the kids, and yes he's the face, but come on, enough is enough surely.

But rather than turning off i'll be concentrating on the forthcoming Punk/Bryan feud. that should be epic!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Time to switch off for me the only thing that kept me interested this past year was Punks shoot, The Rock but most of all Cena's character development but now it's clear that after beating Lesner, there is no longer any development.
HHH vs Lesner does not interest me because Lesner lost to Cena so I dont even see him as a threat anymore.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
To each his own. I don't think anybody can give you a good reason to watch or not watch, really. Cena's been that face of the company since 2005, and since he didn't turn heel against The Rock, I don't see him changing his role anytime soon.

If you're going to stop watching WWE again due to Cena's Superman character, then I say just stop watching Raw. Were it not for the weekly Rebounds, SmackDown would act like Cena dosen't even exist these days.
Smackdown sucks though. I have to agree that this stuff with Cena is kind of getting old now. I actually don't hate Cena like the majority of the people on here, but he keeps making me think he's going to do something different and never really does. We just have to accept we're watching a role model for kids when Cena is on, but the problem is that he is stealing the main event spot constantly and I may seem biased here because I'm a Punk mark, but shouldn't he be in the main event spot because he's the WWE champion? I can understand rock vs cena being the main event of wrestlemania and lesnar vs cena being the main event of ER, but I'm not feeling good about this johnny vs cena feud right now. I know it's going to be the main story on Raw in the coming weeks and I have a feeling it's just going to be Cena getting his ass kicked every night (maybe get the upperhand for one night) and then overcome the odds at over the limit. This should be secondary compared to Punk and Bryan who are amazingly over at the moment, but it won't be. So my answer to your question OP, I'd give it a couple weeks and wait and see what happens storyline wise. If you're just simply tired of Cena's same old crap though, I can tell you right now that will never change and that you should probably stop watching. I was convinced after money in the bank last year when I thought for sure Punk was going to lose and leave, that I was going to stop watching. Luckily he didn't lose nor leave though and made the show interesting for me to watch again.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I stopped watching at around the same, a bit earlier for the exact same reasons . I returned after rock returned and now I am beginning to get bored again. Judging by the ratings and buys it seems that many have abandoned the wwe during Cena's reign of terror.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
I actually think the WWE has been quite good this year compared to previous years, and on a roll with PPV's. Lesnar's character is interesting, and there are already big talents from FCW debuting.

·
Wog Piece of Shit
1,125 Posts
As long he is away from the title you can just stop watching his segments/matches if you really wanted. I liked Johnny L banking him Raw and I look forward to watching Johnny in action at OTL. But if it's that bad for you, just don't watch when Cena is on, it's not that much of the show really.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
theres some good things happening now (d bry, brock) and ppvs have been good this year, every ppv has had some greatness in it.

so i dont think its such a good time to turn off, your gonna miss some good stuff. but maybe just skim through the show like i am doing, and try not to have ANY hopes for john cena. just enjoy the moments where he gets booed out of town, humbled by rock and beat the fuck out of by brock lesnar.

·
Premium Member
44,440 Posts
Trust me, I have a lot of problems with the current Monday Night Raw Product. ALOT of problems, but right now, its practically heavenly compared to what its been. I don't know if I could survive another run like in 2009. Now that was hell.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Trust me, I have a lot of problems with the current Monday Night Raw Product. ALOT of problems, but right now, its practically heavenly compared to what its been. I don't know if I could survive another run like in 2009. Now that was hell.
i agreed but still don't know how raw in 2009 had great ratings
i liked 2009 till mania mostly for orton vs hhh feud but after mania it was not that good

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I stopped watching at around the same time,i still watched the ppvs but i wasnt a hardcore fan,completely stopped watching when supercena was born so yeah im thinking the same thing

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
I still pay attention to the product but really wish they'd do something big (IE A Cena heel turn) to get me into watching every week again.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The only interest that i have remotely had in Cena over the last few months, is the prospect of a character change. Now that's out of the window, i'll be skipping through Cena's segments again.

Lesnar, Punk and Bryan are the only real reasons i'm watching now. If it wasn't for those 3, i'd probably be doing the same as the op and fucking off. I've actually started watching a bit of TNA, which to be fair is equally as difficult at times.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts