Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· No Cena is good Cena
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like CM Punk and I'm all for lengthy title reigns BUT enough is enough. Punk has held the belt for nine months and yet his promise to "make things fun again" has not come to fruition. It's not fun. It's the same old, same old. His reign has been uninspiring at best and it's time to move on. I don't want Punk to drop the belt to Cena (the Nickelback of pro-wrestling) but I would like to see someone else with the belt around his waist. Sure, Punk-face/heel/whatever- isn't "afraid to say what's on his mind"- but frankly I don't give a shit anymore. Give someone else (Wade Barrett for example) a dominant heel reign and see how far he can carry it.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
But isn't he turning heel in part because his reign as a babyface has been uninspiring? (In terms of exposure for himself, level of opponents/challengers, etceteras.)

I was tempted to start a thread on this question. When was the last time a world champion in WWE actually turned either face or heel mid-reign? Feels like ages and ages to me.

So, in a way, if he continues on to Royal Rumble time, it will almost be like two reigns in one.

· Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Yeah, the WWE title program is quite yawn at the moment. Big Show is a momentum killer, Cena keeps smirking and Punk keeps whining.

Edit -
When was the last time a world champion in WWE actually turned either face or heel mid-reign? Feels like ages and ages to me.
Not mid-reign and not WWE title, But Bryan turned heel gradually after he won the WHC just last year.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
Yeah, the WWE title program is quite yawn at the moment. Big Show is a momentum killer, Cena keeps smirking and Punk keeps whining.

Edit -

Not mid-reign and not WWE title, But Bryan turned heel gradually after he won the WHC just last year.
That's a fair point. And Punk turned in mid-2009 when he dropped the WHC to Jeff Hardy (or, rather, he completed his heel turn), and then went on to win it back again at Summerslam as a full-blown heel.

Having trouble thinking of any other ones in recent years, though.

· No Cena is good Cena
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But isn't he turning heel in part because his reign as a babyface has been uninspiring? (In terms of exposure for himself, level of opponents/challengers, etceteras.)

I was tempted to start a thread on this question. When was the last time a world champion in WWE actually turned either face or heel mid-reign? Feels like ages and ages to me.

So, in a way, if he continues on to Royal Rumble time, it will almost be like two reigns in one.
It's early on but Punk's heel turn has thus far been as equally lame as his face reign. It's been half-assed beyond belief. Should I boo him? (No, I'm a fan). Should I cheer for him? (No, he gives me no reason to do so.) Should I sit back and wait to see what WWE creative has up their sleeves? (No, I've made that mistake too many times before.) AAAAARRRGHHH!!!!!

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
I fully endorse the prospect of a Barrett reign over this one by Punk, but otherwise, fuck no, leave it on Punk. Nobody else is anywhere close to deserving the title, Punk is still the best performer in the company and that's not likely to change any time soon.

· Registered
528 Posts
Have you seen what happened to AW? CM Punk can't afford to be edgy or he'll be fucked. Even as a baby face who was half the character he was a year ago he's still a far more preferable champion to the other uninteresting clowns about. I agree that Wade Barrett would be good but the problem is they just bury those up and coming guys, he'll just be fed to Cena like everyone else. Didn't that Twitter poll on RAW1000 show that Punk v Rock won the vote over Rock v Cena? Lawler and Cole's surprise was so evident the cheeky bastards. That just shows there are people who DO want to see Punk in big feuds rather than Cena. I wouldn't change the Champion I would just make Punk a lot more dominating, less whiny and more of a Tweener. He would be so awesome if he was given the license too, it's just that Vince doesn't want ANYONE else having a set of balls like Punk did, AW was made an example of, you have to shut up and do as you're told in WWE now.

· Registered
5,623 Posts
So Punk should drop the title so Cena can get his 8000th reign? Thanks, but no thanks.

Right now, Punk is by FAR the best guy to have the title. Anyone taking the title off Punk now would just demolish all the momentum he has. He should hold it until the Royal Rumble, and drop the title to The Rock.

· Registered
827 Posts
Punk will drop the title to Cena, but they will likely give him the title back at the very next PPV. The WWE has no plans to push anybody new into the WWE title scene at this point. Expect Punk, Cena, and the Rock to dominate the title over the next year.

· No Cena is good Cena
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So Punk should drop the title so Cena can get his 8000th reign? Thanks, but no thanks.
No! That's not what I'm saying at all! All I'm saying is that Punk's title reign has run it's course and it's time to give someone else a chance to carry the torch, particularly a strongly booked heel with charisma *polite cough, Wade Barrett*.

· Registered
528 Posts
Yeah because Vince McMahon would be stupid enough to release Punk when he makes WWE so much money...
What I'm saying is the likely reason Punk isn't the character he was a year ago is due to it being career suicide if he doesn't do as they say. They just wrote him as a generic baby face champion, probably because he could have usurped John Cena that way and they absolutely do not want that to happen.

· No Cena is good Cena
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Punk will drop the title to Cena, but they will likely give him the title back at the very next PPV. The WWE has no plans to push anybody new into the WWE title scene at this point. Expect Punk, Cena, and the Rock to dominate the title over the next year.
Good god man, your post is both sobering and depressing.

I fully endorse the prospect of a Barrett reign over this one by Punk, but otherwise, fuck no, leave it on Punk. Nobody else is anywhere close to deserving the title, Punk is still the best performer in the company and that's not likely to change any time soon.
I just combed through the roster and... *taps out*.

Still, I'm bored to fuck with Punk as champion and at this point I would like to see how ANY up'n'comer would handle a WWE title reign. I'm not a fan of Cody or Kofi for example, but I would love to see if either of them could rise to the occasion.

· Registered
23,227 Posts
I've been hoping for a title change since Wrestlemania. That stale motherfucker just keeps holding onto it and I'd take ANYONE over him at this point. Give it to the equally stale Cena, give it to the boring Big Show, give it to Daniel Bryan... hell, I'd rather take Santino as WWE Champion since the title has already been devalued enough.

The only hope is Cena getting a hometown victory at Night of Champions and then losing it back to Punk so this shitty reign can finally have it's days numbered and then he can go on to lose to The Rock for something refreshing and interesting at last.

· Banned
468 Posts
I don't know what's gonna change if anyone you mentioned hold the title, they will still have the same opponents as Punk, and probably get overshadowed by Cena and they will not live up to it as long as Punk considering the fact that Cena will be part of it makes it even more harder for them, and Cena will surely win it back because they don't have that much credibility to hold their own against Cena, not as much as Punk. I do want to see a new title holder but Cena is just a big obstacle. Vince will not allow it, nobody can touch Cena he's way too protective, which makes it even more harder for people to take them seriously. This thing just killed the business, people don't want to see anybody else except for Cena because he's the one who walks around with big victories and others just wish to get one on Cena.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.