Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Banned
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except for Toronto, they’re basically not selling any tickets. Actually scary. Look:

VERY small arena in Washington which they’ve gone before and sold out. Upper decck has barely sold any tickets.

Show coming up in 3 weeks in Cincinatti. Upper deck closed. Hard cam side also closed. Only three sections have sold out in the lower deck.

I don’t have the map here. But hard cam closes again and heavy blue means plenty of tickets available. Not good.

Hard cam again closed and barely any tickets sold even on the floor.

This is actually pretty scary stuff for the company. WWE shows are doing extremely well right now. Not the case at all for AEW.

Attachments

·
rasslin
13,450 Posts
Maybe you sell more tickets but you also incur a lot more cost. So would the profit margin be higher?
They could've charged people 500 bucks in Toronto and it woulda been sold out. So I imagine they'd have a good profit. I feel like AEW is probably bigger in UK and Canada than most people think.

At least for the first few tours, they'll get a good return and by then the USA cities will be up for coming back to another show.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
They could've charged people 500 bucks in Toronto and it woulda been sold out. So I imagine they'd have a good profit. I feel like AEW is probably bigger in UK and Canada than most people think.

At least for the first few tours, they'll get a good return and by then the USA cities will be up for coming back to another show.
Smark stuff is always huge in Canada and especially the UK. Look at all the big smark YouTubers from COOLTAHOLIC to WRESSSLELAYMIA and WOTCOLTZA, they're all from the UK and they all love them some AYEDOBBYA.

I generally blame the UK wrestling culture for ruining the world, but that's a different conversation.

·
Baby It's Violence
12,113 Posts
If these areas are still unsold the day of then yes it's an issue. However, they should start running new areas, like the fact it took them 3 years to go over and do a real West Coast tour is surprising, especially considering even NJPW have had a bunch of successful shows over there. You can only go to the same areas so many times before the interest isn't as strong.

It's interesting though that they've had some of their best ratings for the last 5 weeks in some time and we're oddly pivoting to ticket sales.

·
Registered
263 Posts
AEW is slowly cooling off attendance wise, they may have to rent even smaller buildings in the future and have crowds like 90's ECW did.

Yoy for tv is down, so is demo yoy.

All Out buys were down from last year.

Was to be expected, smark fans and wrestling hipsters are mostly fickle and flip/floppy and they're unstable and very contradictory fanbase.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Does AEW usually sell out fast, or is this slow rate typical for them? If the latter, then this detail is a non-issue
I’m sure others have followed this more closely then me but from my memory they sold out fast a lot in the earlier days and first months back touring after the COVID shutdown … but mostly those were scalpers buying up the seats. (There has been speculation that TK himself may have been doing that to create a facade of higher demand than was really there, plus making money reselling them on the secondary market at a higher price due to the scarcity he created … not sure if true but British boxing promoter Eddie Hearn was known to do that for big shows so it’s not unheard of).

Then there came a point where scalpers were getting stuck with tickets because demand wasn’t actually there. They were eating them. So they stopped buying them up and we see a different pattern.

On the whole, their big PPVs and other big shows seem to do well. Their weekly stuff isn’t doing bad but they are booking smaller arenas and blocking off a lot of seating so the scale is smaller — if you “almost” sell out with 5,700 seats in a 10K seat arena, that says something. I believe All Out didn’t even sell out in Chicago with Punk headlining.

I think there are a lot of moving parts — running the same markets too often rather than branching out to create new ‘hot spots’ of demand, not as much build-up to what’s coming, I remember we used to see a lot of posts about this or that roster member being in a town doing press like a week ahead to drum up interest but I haven’t seen that (other than big shows like All Out or Grand Slam) in a while (maybe they still are but you don’t hear about it). And for some stuff we just don’t know what’s coming — main events announced a week or two before, for instance.

Personally, I think there’s a need for TK to hire a competent social media team and a real marketing agency to do the job of hyping shows and getting the word out and creating demand. Heck, the website still has Mox as champ and Punk as No. 1 contender (from Aug. 31) and is not updated regularly. Too much of it is just Tony tweeting and … that’s about it.

Word Life
4,173 Posts
Except for Toronto, they’re basically not selling any tickets. Actually scary. Look:

View attachment 134353

VERY small arena in Washington which they’ve gone before and sold out. Upper decck has barely sold any tickets.

View attachment 134354

Show coming up in 3 weeks in Cincinatti. Upper deck closed. Hard cam side also closed. Only three sections have sold out in the lower deck.

View attachment 134355

I don’t have the map here. But hard cam closes again and heavy blue means plenty of tickets available. Not good.

View attachment 134357
Hard cam again closed and barely any tickets sold even on the floor.

This is actually pretty scary stuff for the company. WWE shows are doing extremely well right now. Not the case at all for AEW.
It's almost as if doing disrespectful garbage like releasing a shirt like this

will kill business, the reason the WWE is doing so well is they are mostly family friendly. Also no CM Punk/Elite has also killed interest, also sponsoring a dead brand like ROH is killing people's interest. I don't even have it in me to watch live anymore after Moxley became champion again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Poor sales, no masking or denying it.

Also, I agree with the comment above about going to new arenas and different states. If you're going to lose money due to declining sales in stale markets then you absolutely have to try new markets and give the slow moving ones a break.

You'll make more money in the new markets and the slower moving ones will have a nice bounce and uprise in ticket movement due to a rest period.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts