Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this being discussed on another board and thought I'd bring it here. What were your thoughts on him?

I liked the guy, thought he was a good monster heel but had a forgetable run as being the top guy. His build up when he first debuted in 1992-1993 was quite good but once he became champ he lost a lot of his aura to me.

Was wondering what you guys thought of him.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts
"he's fat"

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Incredibly underrated and one of the greatest WWF champions of the 1990s. No I'm not kidding.

He wasn't just the "sumo guy" in roster, he was much more. Big Yoko does not get enough credit for what he gave in that ring even to this day. Every star has to have his major foil, and if you followed Yoko's career enough, you'd see just how many guys were put over in the business at the time because of him and because of the hard work he gave; everyone he wrestled he was 3 times their size but he made them look great while still looking formidable himself.

Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, Lex Luger, Randy Savage, the names go on and on and he not only could hang with them; he made himself look like the monster dominator against them that he was.

His push should be a textbook example in the wrestling business of how you push a big man. He's one of the last few monsters I can think of that truly looked and felt "monster", in the same vein as Andre, Earthquake, 90s Vader and AE era Kane. You knew your Babyface opponent was going to have to pull out all the stops to beat him. RIP to him.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,178 Posts
Absolutely loved the Yoko/Owen tag team.

I used to love watching Yokozuna squash jobbers on Superstars.

You really don't see big guys like him anymore.

Mostly because they're shat on. Which is a growing problem within modern wrestling.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Often gets overlooked as a good wrestler due to his size, however to be able to hit his finisher and not actually hurt someone is very skillful. Throw Earthquake into that mix also. These 2 really knew how to use the fact that they were big guys for dramatic effect. Slowly getting closer and closer to falling before finally crashing to the mat. Simple things, but make a big difference.

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
16,548 Posts
I loved Yokozuna personally. He was a very entertaining foreign heel WWE Champion. Perfect one too in 1993-1994. He ran though Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan, found a way to get past Lex Lugar and his awesome match with Undertaker at Royal Rumble match. He insulted America and though Japan was a better country. Decent look, was fast for a big man and had one of the greatest managers of all time, Mr. Fuji. I loved how he squashed Virgil at the Survivor Series 1992. I loved his tag run with Owen Hart. Hated his face run in 96.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
He was alright. I would have preferred if Bret had programs with Hennig, Razor or Bam Bam instead of guys like Backlund and Lawler. Lawler was cool and all but the program didn't help Bret's cause as he only had a few more years left in him to be a full fledged face. The yoko deal was a cluster fuck due to Hogan's involvement.

Reactions: M.V.W.

·
Premium Member
44,042 Posts
His reign is historic in a way as Yokozuna was the first real long term heel champion in WWE history. It was the first time Vince actually ran with somebody as a heel champion for an extended period, and it led to a great payoff at WrestleMania X.

I liked Yoko as a big man worker. Earlier in his run, he was a big guy that had surprising quickness and flexibility. And he could have good matches with the likes of Bret, Taker, and even Luger (I enjoyed their Summerslam match, stupid finish aside). I also really enjoyed his tag team run with Owen.

It is a shame he didn't take better care of himself and just kept getting bigger and bigger because he probably could have had a longer run.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Hated the big chickenshit monster heel

What I was more fascinated with was the match he had with Andre the Giant as Kokina in Mexico where Andre made Yoko look "small"

Reactions: TripleG and M.V.W.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I thought he was a great monster heel who seemed unbeatable for a while. The bodyslam challenge that they did on the aircraft carrier with him was great setting up the Luger feud.

Reactions: M.V.W.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
His push should be a textbook example in the wrestling business of how you push a big man. He's one of the last few monsters I can think of that truly looked and felt "monster", in the same vein as Andre, Earthquake, 90s Vader and AE era Kane. You knew your Babyface opponent was going to have to pull out all the stops to beat him. RIP to him.
I don't really agree with this. For starters, just to clarify, I was never really a fan of Yokozuna, primarily because I felt that he was pushed too quickly into the main event and secondly because I found his matches really boring. Plus, his 'monster booking' wasn't particularly good as he rarely won without some sort of fluke or outside help:he only won the Rumble because Savage stupidly thought he could pin him (so the whole ending looked like a fluke), he only beat Bret at WMIX because Fuji interfered and threw salt in Bret's eyes, he only beat Hogan because of the shady cameraman shooting a ball of fire into Hogan's face, he retained against Luger by DQ countout, he needed Adam Bomb, Jeff Jarrett, The Headshrinkers and Diesel to help him defeat the Undertaker, and at Wrestlemania X he retained against Luger by shenanigans and then dropped the championship to Bret. His big-man status was never really that beneficial to him, as it obviously couldn't get the job done. A decent monster heel doesn't need all of the outside help that Yoko got to beat guys who were often a quarter of his size. Throughout all of his PPV matches during that championship run he was booked like a fluke champion who couldn't get the job done without outside help. That would be fine for a different type of heel, but as so-called 'monster heel' it just made him look like a flabby bitch. The only people I ever remember him beating while he was champion were jabronis and local losers like PJ Walker and Scott Taylor, or dickheads like Jim Duggan.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
He was a very good monster heel, and I mostly liked his WWF title run. Just a shame he put on too much weight and an even bigger shame that he passed away too soon.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts