Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,a while ago the WWE made a dvd about this company that was named "The triumph and tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling".
When they hear WCCW most people these days imagine the Von Erich family and the awful incidents that one by one took the life out of the family.The one that remains to this day and is still alive is Kevin Von Erich.He even got to induct himself and his brothers in to their Hall of Fame in 2009.
But WCCW wasn't all Von Erich,they had numerous talents debut there or reach a new level in their careers in that company.Undertaker made his debut match there as Texas Red in 1986 against Bruiser Brody.He was managed by Percy Pringle(Paul Bearer) even back than.
Eventually there were lots of great talent that wrestled there and created memories from the Sportatorium in Dallas,Texas.

You can talk about feuds that you liked,talent that you liked and just share your memories and/or thoughts of WCCW.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Well,a while ago the WWE made a dvd about this company that was named "The triumph and tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling".
When they hear WCCW most people these days imagine the Von Erich family and the awful incidents that one by one took the life out of the family.The one that remains to this day and is still alive is Kevin Von Erich.He even got to induct himself and his brothers in to their Hall of Fame in 2009.
But WCCW wasn't all Von Erich,they had numerous talents debut there or reach a new level in their careers in that company.Undertaker made his debut match there as Texas Red in 1986 against Bruiser Brody.He was managed by Percy Pringle(Paul Bearer) even back than.
Eventually there were lots of great talent that wrestled there and created memories from the Sportatorium in Dallas,Texas.

You can talk about feuds that you liked,talent that you liked and just share your memories and/or thoughts of WCCW.
Undertaker also worked with Brody at one-time as Red River Jack. Brody was actually the masked man after losing a loser-leaves-Texas match against the One Man Gang, and Gary Hart was beside himself trying to prove that Brody was Jack. So Undertaker showed up next to Brody as Red River Jack.

One of the best underrated confrontations was between Brody and Blackjack Mulligan. One of Brody's greatest lines was, "Mulligan, you're not really from Texas. You're from Hoboken, New Jersey and got stranded here." Classic.

Of course, you can't mention World Class without the feud between the Freebirds and the Von Erichs. One of my favorite early wrestling memories was Michael Hayes dressed up as Santa Claus. Santa runs to the ring and celebrates with, then sucker-punches Kevin Von Erich.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Freebirds rocked. I was a fan of Iceman King Parsons, Gentleman Chris Adams, Steve Simpson, the Von Erichs, The Missing Link, Bruiser Brody, The Fantastics, The Rock n' Roll RPM's, John Tatum and many others. One o the great things about WCCW is that many of us got our first glimpse at guys like Cactus Jack, The Ultimate Warrior, Jake Roberts, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin etc.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
WCCW was epic. And the Von Erichs had talent coming out of their asses. Great promotion. But eventually, after all that tragedy, you just, give up. And thats what killed them. It just became too heavy for the fans.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WCCW was epic. And the Von Erichs had talent coming out of their asses. Great promotion. But eventually, after all that tragedy, you just, give up. And thats what killed them. It just became too heavy for the fans.
Yeah,the entire company's talent pool was quite deep.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I grew up in Dallas, Texas so I got to watch wccw every week. It was awesome back then. One Man Gang vs Kerry Von Erich fued was one of my faves. I bought the dvd too cause it brought back so many memories, although it didn't have alot of the good matches on it that I remembered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I remember watching WCCW on Saturday afternoons. You always got a real mainevent on TV, unlike the AWA sunday morning shows. Kerry Von Erich vs. Ric Flair at the Cotton Bowl after David Von Erich died was fantastic and my number one memory. Followed by the Freebirds and the their confederate flag. Those guys has real heat. Unlike anything we see now days.

·
Registered
690 Posts
When I first started watching wrestling around 89 I remember espn would have wccw and cwa matches on at Noon when I had schoold days off and even though I didnt know most of them were years old I loved watching most of the feuds and matches. Even when it was on its last legs with the bottom of the barrel with Embry and Jarret it intrigured me more then wwf and wcw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts