Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was this section of these forums that made me start thinking about wrestling i watched as a young kid from the late 80's and early 90's and then i came across one of my favorite feuds from The New Generation Era in Shawn Michaels/Curt Hennig. It was basically a feud that came from absolutely nowhere as Shawn Michaels was feuding with Tatanka over the Intercontinental title whilst Curt Hennig was feuding with Lex Luger who had been brought in by Bobby Heenan to take Curt Hennig out.

At WrestleMania 9 after Lex Luger had beat Curt Hennig by using his "loaded" forearm Curt Hennig went backstage and carried on the fight with Lex Luger which saw Shawn Michaels become involved and attack Curt Hennig thus starting the Shawn Michaels/Curt Hennig feud. Now on paper this should have been brilliant because both men were great in ring workers but also could work the mic and the storyline of who was the greatest Intercontinental champion ever was being used but for some reason the feud wasn't as big as it could and should have been.

There were some great moments like the fight they had in Las Vegas where they brawled outside the arena and damaged Howard Finkel's brand new Cadillac and Curt Hennig coming out during Shawn Michaels/Marty Jannetty on Raw and helping Marty Jannetty win the Intercontinental title. The actual match was probably the best match of the year as well but then should have been expected because of their abilities but the weak finish which was designed more to start Curt Hennig/Diesel took a lot away from the match and the feud ended abruptly due to Shawn Michaels being suspended and Curt Hennig being injured.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
It was a good feud, but I thought the match at Summerslam 1993 was a MAJOR letdown. The match they had on the 'Road to Wrestlemania VII' was much better.

Like how they kind of revived the feud in 1996.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
It was fun. As a kid those were two of my favs. I remember watching the SS match and being disappointed that it ended the way it did.

I also like feuds that pull in satellite characters, and this one pulled in Jannetty. The Jannetty/Michaels matches were phenomenal too. During the feud Perfect actually helped Jannetty win the very trophy he himself was chasing (the IC championship).

Diesel also became important because Michaels was feuding with several people at one time.

It was fun.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
I really liked their feud, was one of the best things about the WWE midcard in the spring of 1993. Shame the feud was over so quickly.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I always wanted Mr. Perfect to feud with Randy Savage in 1993. Their friendship in 1992 seemed so precarious, and would've led to a fantastic rivarly between the two in 1993.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always wanted Mr. Perfect to feud with Randy Savage in 1993. Their friendship in 1992 seemed so precarious, and would've led to a fantastic rivarly between the two in 1993.
In 1993 a feud between Randy Savage and Curt Hennig would have been main event material anywhere in the world and it's such a shame WWE simply decided that Randy Savage needed to move into the background and be a full time commentator through virtually all of 1993 bar the very end. It's also a major shame that Shawn Michaels was suspended following Summerslam and Curt Hennig started having his back problems again because over the course of 1993 i believe Michaels/Hennig would have only got better and produced some of the greatest matches of that whole era.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts