Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyones thoughts on this legend? Ive only recently been watching his work, mostly his run in the 70s, his tag matches with brother Dory and his 2 out fo 3 falls with Jumbo Tsuruta, and theres still plenty more that I need to see, but its safe to say Funk is versatile and doesnt get rated as highly as he should for his technical in ring skills

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
Never seen much of Terry Funk.

The only matches I've seen from him was his Dumpster Match with Foley against N.A.O., vs. Flair in the I Quit Match, w/Tommy Dreamer & Beulah vs. Edge, Mick Foley, & Lita and the infamous Barbed Wire match.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Anyone who hasnt seen enough of Terry Funk's work in his prime is seriously missing out on some of the finest wrestling in history. Old school, stiff as fuck, insane wrestling. He could brawl, get technical, talk up a storm. When you wrestled him you had to fight back or else that lunatic was gonna annihilate you.

Clash of The Champions 9, Ric Flair vs Terry Funk. I Quit. That, is, wrestling.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Anyone who hasnt seen enough of Terry Funk's work in his prime is seriously missing out on some of the finest wrestling in history. Old school, stiff as fuck, insane wrestling. He could brawl, get technical, talk up a storm. When you wrestled him you had to fight back or else that lunatic was gonna annihilate you.

This. He's a bona fide legend, kicked ass in several different decades, left his mark in all of the 'big 3'.

·
Registered
319 Posts

^^ And that's PAST his prime.

·
Registered
813 Posts
In my opinion, Dory Jr. was a much better technical wrestler than Terry, but the fact that Terry was more versatile is what made him a legend. One of the greatest things about Terry is that he crossed generations... NWA and the territories, WCW, WWF, ECW - he did it all, and he changed his game from when he was wrestling the Briscos to the New Age Outlaws to the Pitbulls. That's the mark of a champ.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my opinion, Dory Jr. was a much better technical wrestler than Terry, but the fact that Terry was more versatile is what made him a legend. One of the greatest things about Terry is that he crossed generations... NWA and the territories, WCW, WWF, ECW - he did it all, and he changed his game from when he was wrestling the Briscos to the New Age Outlaws to the Pitbulls. That's the mark of a champ.
Yea Dory seems underrated these day, his matches with Jack Brisco and Giant Baba were great wrestling contests. He had a realy good one against Terry in 1981

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Terry Funk vs Ric Flair. I Quit Match. Its better than sex.

Terry Funk was one crazy SOB, but he could go like no tomorrow and beat the living the hell out of you.
This.

And...

This!

5-stars. All the way.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Terry Funk in one word is a Legend.

In the first Years of his Career he was a great Tag Team Wrestler with Dory and had many Classics, when he went Single i thought he was way more interesting then Dory, but Dory was the better Tecnicial Wrestler, but Terry Funk had the Fans in his Hand, he could make them do what he wanted. Like the time they Faces the Briscoes, he refused to shake their Hands, i think Dory did and all of a Sudden Terry runs to the Briscoes everybody thinks he is gonna attack but gives a handshake,andthe People went nuts. I am not that big of a Fan of Hardcore so i haven't seen too much of his Japan Massacres and stuff, but he was convincing, and i mean he is a old man but now but when he gets in the Ring he still seems legit Crazy and like he could take anybody, and when he Returned to WWF i think 97 they kinda started something with Austin at the Rumble with promos, but they never made a Feud out of it which could have been great. There is so much that i can't talk about all his stuff but if you see Terry Funk in a Match you know you are gonna see something differentm there is no one like Terry Funk.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
I've seen 150+ Terry Funk matches, and that guy was one tough son of a bitch. I would describe him as 'Stiff Technician'. When you watch him, you think you watch a real fight, not something that is scripted.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Two words, Fuckin' Awesome. I've never seen a Terry Funk match that I didn't enjoy and since I'm not really a fan of hardcore wrestling (and many of his better known matches over the last few years fall into that category) that's impressive.

One of my favourite memories of him from the last decade or so was him giving David Flair 4 or 5 piledrivers through tables while screaming for Ric to come out and face him.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts