Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was full behind him winning the belt at Wrestlemania, I was pretty dissapointed the match was 18 seconds, but whatever. And I have to say for the first title reign as a babyface of someone who is probably gonna be the face of the company within the next 7 years, this is pretty lackluster. By no means is it necesarily his fault, for the most part his matches have delivered. An alright mic. worker, but its almost like they didn't have the long term planned for his character. I hope this title reign picks up. I mean they won't even let the heel get any heat. Its 4 weeks of Sheamus dominating then the big pay off at the Ppv is just him winning.But I digress, I hope the big pay off for this title reign is a future feud between him, and Barret. What do you think of this reign?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Re: Thoughts on Sheamus's title reign

I don't feel like he's a Champion really. Doesn't feel like it.... Just seems like he's a place-holder for the title. It seems like he's a wrestler just carrying it around as a prop, not really acting or coming off like a true Champion IMO.

·
Registered
963 Posts

I think it is due to the fact that, besides Orton or maybe Bryan, there has been no one who has been a threat to his reign. We haven't seen a feud that showed Sheamus on the losing side. He has plowed through the entire Smackdown roster and until he has a legitimate challenge, he will hold the belt for a long time. As for Barrett I hope they do some sort of comeback angle with him, because before he got injured he didn't look so good.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,781 Posts

I was full behind him winning the belt at Wrestlemania, I was pretty dissapointed the match was 18 seconds, but whatever. And I have to say for the first title reign as a babyface of someone who is probably gonna be the face of the company within the next 7 years, this is pretty lackluster. By no means is it necesarily his fault, for the most part his matches have delivered. An alright mic. worker, but its almost like they didn't have the long term planned for his character. I hope this title reign picks up. I mean they won't even let the heel get any heat. Its 4 weeks of Sheamus dominating then the big pay off at the Ppv is just him winning.But I digress, I hope the big pay off for this title reign is a future feud between him, and Barret. What do you think of this reign?
Bad booked feuds, people getting injured, folks getting suspended, and peeps filling in spots on the fly. I must say, Sheamus's luck has been GOD awful, not to mention DB vs Sheamus could have stolen the show at MANIA. But it was the opener and it was 18 seconds. Let's not forget Sheamus is watered down version of what he was last Summer that made him an epic face. I don't don't think he will be the face of the comp, just a major star.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I don't feel like he's a Champion really. Doesn't feel like it.... Just seems like he's a place-holder for the title. It seems like he's a wrestler just carrying it around as a prop, not really acting or coming off like a true Champion IMO.
Ya I can agree with that. Maybe not a transitional champ, but I understand what your saying.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Bad booked feuds, people getting injured, folks getting suspended, and peeps filling in spots on the fly. I must say, Sheamus's luck has been GOD awful, not to mention DB vs Sheamus could have stolen the show at MANIA. But it was the opener and it was 18 seconds. Let's not forget Sheamus is watered down version of what he was last Summer that made him an epic face. I don't don't think he will be the face of the comp, just a major star.
Ya definently alot of bad luck, and bad booking. It also aggravates me a little when he goes around, and is like "ill kick your arse." I think they planned on him being the future. If they wanted the future they shoulda just kept Chris Masters Hoorah.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I think it is due to the fact that, besides Orton or maybe Bryan, there has been no one who has been a threat to his reign. We haven't seen a feud that showed Sheamus on the losing side. He has plowed through the entire Smackdown roster and until he has a legitimate challenge, he will hold the belt for a long time. As for Barrett I hope they do some sort of comeback angle with him, because before he got injured he didn't look so good.
Well they have to make someone look like a threat to his reign. They can't just have Sheamus beat everyones ass, then its pointless. And yeah I definently agree with the Barret idea. Maybe win MITB.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,781 Posts

I enjoyed Masters tbh, I maybe underrated him a little, but he was talented no doubt. But I think he got some strikes against him that led to his downfall. Same with MVP.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ya Chris Masters was the bomb. I wish Caylen Croft was back also, The dudebusters rocked!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

Sheamus is one of the best wrestlers today.Every time,he give us awesome matches.The only problem for him is the booking.
He wins the WHC in a patetic way and he have no rivalry,ne enemy

·
Banned
9,951 Posts

I just don't feel it. He's not good enough for this role.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Its not really he isn't good enough IMO, they just aren't building him right.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts

Chris Masters? lol I can't believe I actually would prefer him to hold the belt instead of current WHC holder.

But I'm sure of something with this reign, when it ends we are going to throw a party here.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts

Shoulda just had Christian be the top face instead.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts

Title reigns work best when there is a vulnerable face and a menacing heel going after the same title. There's a sense that the heel will do anything to win and the face is facing tough obstacles ahead. None of that is present in any of Sheamus' feuds.

Even this week, after Ziggler got the pin, Sheamus is chasing him out of the arena. The one moment where Ziggler could have been seen as crafty and credible, he's running away and people immediately discount him as a fluke. Because of this, the audience is completely disengaged in the title feud and since it's the only feud that seems to be sort of developed every week on Smackdown, that's a huge problem.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

sheamus is great its his booking and injuries to his opponents that have made his title reign not look so splendid

·
Boiling ramen at 1am because life is still happeni
4,206 Posts

Feh.

666 posts. Welcome to hexology, bitches.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts

Shoulda just had Christian be the top face instead.
Christian is much more beneficial as a face as he is excellent at selling and gets the importance of making sure your heel challenger looks credible and is over.

Again, to bring it back to Ziggler recently, at the fatal four way on Raw, he was selling like crazy for both Ziggler and Swagger to try to make them look credible and was really the only one who tried getting Ziggler over as a credible threat before the PPV. Even when he's been on a face run with the IC title, his opponents tend to get the majority of the attacks in to make sure that they come out looking good, regardless of the outcome.

Turning Christian face was one of the smartest moves that Smackdown made recently. His booking should mirror the booking of more top faces, but unfortunately, that isn't the case.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

It just proves that the only person in the WWE that cares about Sheamus is his workout buddy, Cripple H. It shows when they don't book him in compelling feuds or decide to do anything with his character.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.