Wrestling Forum banner

Thoughts on MITB 2014, the future of the WWE WHC, and Brock Lesnar

1721 Views 18 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  carrotydragon
So with Money in the Bank coming up in a couple of months, it'll be interesting to see if they will just do one MITB match for a unified title match contract, or if they'll have the traditional two matches, one for each belt. That could be how the titles end up getting split once again. It could be a cool angle, if Bryan had to deal with the possibility of 2 different guys cashing in at any given time.

Also, splitting the titles may also be an option for how to give Lesnar a title at SummerSlam. I would assume that they have big plans for Lesnar in the future, otherwise his victory over Undertaker would be useless. In my opinion, anything less than a major title win, and preferably a title defense at WM31, would be a disappointment. We know that they can't really give him the unified title for a long period of time since he's gone for months at a time. But you could give him the World Heavyweight Championship, let him take it with him when he leaves, and in the meantime you'd still have the WWE Champion on TV every week.

So it could play out like this:

Two guys win MITB contracts in June. The winner of the WWE Championship contract successfully cashes in and wins the belt from Bryan sometime in July. Then have Bryan vs Lesnar at SummerSlam for the World Heavyweight Championship, with Lesnar winning the belt. Lesnar could then take his customary time off, maybe come back and defend the title a couple of times, say at Survivor Series and Royal Rumble. Then he could defend it at WM31, and perhaps lose it to some up-and-comer like Reigns or maybe even back to Bryan in a rematch.

Thoughts?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5,223 Posts
Re: Thoughts on MITB 2014, the future of the WWEWHC, and Brock Lesnar...

So with Money in the Bank coming up in a couple of months, it'll be interesting to see if they will just do one MITB match for a unified title match contract, or if they'll have the traditional two matches, one for each belt. That could be how the titles end up getting split once again. It could be a cool angle, if Bryan had to deal with the possibility of 2 different guys cashing in at any given time.
They've been very clear that it's one championship now. The WWE World Heavyweight Championship. It's going to be just like it was at WrestleMania all those years ago.

Besides, having two briefcases floating around for the years they did two MITBs always made the looming threat of a MITB cash-in less special. It was better when it was just one match that someone from either brand could win at WrestleMania.

· Registered
161 Posts

I can't see anyone bar Wyatt winning MITB right now. The guy is unbelievably hot. Part of me thinks it might be Roman Reigns but until they split The Shield, I'm not sure I see that happening yet. I think they might give him the IC Title first.

· Registered
3,475 Posts

The mark in me wants Damien Sandow to win it and redeem his loss last year. But seeing as how things are going, they'll make Cesaro win it

· Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

They've been very clear that it's one championship now. The WWE World Heavyweight Championship. It's going to be just like it was at WrestleMania all those years ago.
If that's true, they need to get rid of one of the belts. Having the champion carry around two belts gives the impression that they are 2 separate championships. While it does look cool to see your favorite WWE superstar walking around with all that gold, there is really no reason to keep both belts if they are really just one championship. So, unless they liquidate one of them soon, it stands to reason that they want to keep the idea open that they could be split up at some point in the future.

· Registered
5,223 Posts

If that's true, they need to get rid of one of the belts. Having the champion carry around two belts gives the impression that they are 2 separate championships. While it does look cool to see your favorite WWE superstar walking around with all that gold, there is really no reason to keep both belts if they are really just one championship. So, unless they liquidate one of them soon, it stands to reason that they want to keep the idea open that they could be split up at some point in the future.
In 2009, they merged the WWE and World Tag Titles into one and it took them 2 years of the champions carrying two sets of belts before they introduced the current design in 2011. They have time.

Carrying around two belts is not an indication that they're keeping the belts separate. They've been unified into one title now. That's like saying that they were going to split the WWF and WCW Titles again because Jericho carried them around for months.

They're still in the process of changing the WWE logo and I think that's the main hold up. The belt design/creation process takes a while, and if they're looking to redesign the belt to merge the WHC and WWE Title designs, I would imagine it takes a few drafts of planning before finalizing the design and physically creating the belt.

According to Stephanie recently, the plan is by SummerSlam to have the new WWE Logo on everything. By SummerSlam, I would expect to see a new one.

Besides, I agree that carrying around two belts is a great visual.

· Registered
4,801 Posts

I can't see anyone bar Wyatt winning MITB right now. The guy is unbelievably hot. Part of me thinks it might be Roman Reigns but until they split The Shield, I'm not sure I see that happening yet. I think they might give him the IC Title first.
Bray shouldn't even be in the MITB match. His ticket is already punched with Bryan once Cena hands him off.

In all likelihood, with Barrett moved to the IC and Sheamus to the US, that leaves Cesaro as being the most likely to win it.

I'm sure Heyman will have him use it and go over Bryan at a PPV in the slimiest way possible, with Bryan winning it back the next day in the mandatory rematch on Raw. That then preserves Heyman's streak of minting Champs as manager, while starting the counter of titles on Cesaro while also incrementing Bryan's title counter. I expect Cesaro-Cena, after he drops Bray and the Wyatts in Bryan's lap.

Its also possible that it could go Bryan -> Cesaro -> Bray -> Bryan. In that way Bray can screw Cesaro to provide fodder for any future feud, Bryan doesn't have to lose to Bray, and all 3 guys can get their title counter incremented.

· The Middle Rope
2,473 Posts

Based on the fact Dee-Bry is still carrying around 2 physical belts it leads me to believe that they will once again split the belts and MITB seems to be the perfect way to do it.

· Registered
4,801 Posts

Based on the fact Dee-Bry is still carrying around 2 physical belts it leads me to believe that they will once again split the belts and MITB seems to be the perfect way to do it.
I don't see it happening any time soon unless they decide to go another way with their booking strategy. With the current setup, having them unified so they're pushing one guy as The Man is a lot better than not.

I do wish it was one belt, instead of two, though.

· Midcard Minivan
6,885 Posts

I'd be happy with this. MITB will be the first PPV I've attended so I'm hoping something big like that happens.

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts

Whoever wins the MITB will lose the cash in, unless it's Roman Reigns. I don't see them giving him the case though since he's the next Orton, he'll win it clean at WrestleMania. As for Brock, he wins the title at the Royal Rumble.

· Registered
2,242 Posts
Too early for Reigns. Cesaro is the most likely candidate ATM becuase the other front runners already have mid-card titles (Barrett and Sheamus) and Cesaro is too talented to be floundering around. Wyatt might get a shot at it if his momentum contunies to rise at it's current rate, but I don't see him getting anywhere near the title untill he breaks away from the Family.

If Cena wins it, then all is truly lost

· Registered
313 Posts
I'd actually like to see Ziggler win the MitB again. Last time he held the case for so long many even got used to calling him Mr. money in the Bank. Plus it'd be a good way for WWE to throw Ziggy back into action after his concussions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.