Wrestling Forum banner

Thoughts on Jinder Mahal's wwe title run

3K views 59 replies 42 participants last post by  You're A Ghost 
#1 ·
In the year of 2017,Jinder Mahal won the wwe championship by defeating Randy Orton. A lot of people criticized his title run and referred it as a terrible idea but was it really that bad? Mahal was a decent heel and generated heat too. I don't think it was bad. He just needed to be booked a bit more properly.
Thoughts?

#55 ·
Reality is as ridiculous as the circumstances around it were, we've actually had worse World Title reigns since. Rollins 19. Strowman 20. Fiend 19 and 20. Drew McIntyre 20/21.

All I can think about at this point though is how Jinder was booked as a more credible Champ than Miz could possibly hope to be.

McIntyre marks trying to claim the worst fanbase accolade from the Rollins marks.

Miz has been Champ for 1 day and produced the first quality promo from a Main Eventer in years. Meanwhile your boy Drew sunk the ratings and produced zero worthwhile moments in 10 months as Champ.

#8 ·
Mahal's run is still streets ahead of anything else when it comes to "worst WWE title runs".

People saying that The Miz has overtaken that are absolutely insane. At least The Miz is a passable wrestler who can perform his own finisher without botching half the time. The Miz is still one of the best on the mic in the company. That hasn't changed just because he won a title when you think he shouldn't.

Let's also hold off on this all-out attack on The Miz at least untli he's held it for 24 hours. The fact is, he'll very likely loose it at Fastlane, if not at RAW tonight. There have been plenty of other people with short, transitional reigns that are way less qualified than The Miz.

Calm down and let the story play out, FFS. This is probably leading us to Drew clashing with Lashley at Mania. Can we really be so outraged over that?

#12 ·
People saying that The Miz has overtaken that are absolutely insane. At least The Miz is a passable wrestler who can perform his own finisher without botching half the time.
the move is totally dependent on the person taking to make it look good (similar to a DDT). the only time it's been legit botched is when it was done on Nakamura (and that was Nakamura's fault).

look how AJ and others have taken it and made it look legit while Orton and Nakamura made it look like shit. That isn't Jinder's fault.

and you can't blame that on Orton and Shinsuke being too big to take it when Rusev and Luke Harper made it look good

#9 ·
He's up there with Miz as the worst to ever hold the title

Reactions: McIntyre Fan
#10 ·
in terms of presentation, it was one of the better reigns of the past few years. Better than Seth's most recent reign and imo he was a more entertaining champion than Kofi for me but I'm sure many will disagree. Enjoyed his feud with Orton and AJ, I love how AJ brought out the best of him as far as work rate. I would like to see him feud with Drew.

#15 ·
I respectfully disagree. People need to stop confusing actually heat with people booing because they think that someone is awful. People were booing because they were pissed that WWE would be stupid enough to give the title to a jobber when there were so many guys that were better than him. The "any reaction is a good reaction" excuse is exactly why the company can't get people to watch their show anymore. "Oh look, the fans are pissed off, this must be working" is why the fans ultimately gave up on the company. The fans were trying to tell them that they disapproved of the product but Vince wouldn't listen so they eventually tuned out. Real heat is what Ciampa got when he turned on Gargano. The fans would boo the hell out of him but loved to boo him and wanted to see more of him. Jinder heat is fans booing because they literally didn't want to see him anymore.

#14 ·
I think his title reign is one of the most damaging decision that the WWE has made the last decade or so. The timing of it couldn't have been any worse. NXT was huge at the time and people were finally starting to get excited about the future of the company again. The system seemed to be set up perfectly. Triple H would bring in the best talent in the indies. He would introduce them to the audience and make them stars in NXT and then they would go to the main roster and be ready to go.

The Smackdown roster at the time had former NXT greats like Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens and Shinsuke Nakamura to go along with Randy Orton and AJ Styles. Plus possible up and coming talents like Chad Gable, Jason Jordan, Rusev and others. Fans were finally starting to trust the product again, mostly because NXT got them to start trusting again.

Then Vince decides not to give the title to Nakamura who was super over and coming out of NXT red hot. Not to AJ Styles who was the best wrestler on the planet at the time. Not to Kevin Owens or Sami Zayn who were both at the top of their game as well. Not even to Randy Orton who has always been a safe bet for Vince. Instead he decided to give it to Jinder Mahal, a guy who was nothing but a jobber his entire WWE career and only got the tile because they wanted to target a specific market and he got juiced up while he was gone. It was a giant slap to the face to all of the WWE fans who got invested in all of the talented guys on the roster and it made people realize that, yet again, it doesn't matter who the fans like, it doesn't matter who is having the best matches, it doesn't matter who is cutting the best promos, Vince is going to go with the guy he likes and there is nothing that fans can do about it.

This has nothing to do with Mahal. He is mediocre all around but this isn't his fault. But I truly believe giving him the title was one of the biggest mistakes the WWE ever made and drove away a ton of fans. I know it did for me. It made me finally realize, especially after all of those years of John Cena and the start of Roman Reigns, that I was no longer part of the show and my opinion didn't matter to Vince. That is the main reason that Vince can't build stars anymore, because the fans have ZERO trust left in the guy and wouldn't you know he is still pulling his crap today by giving the title to The Miz. All of the optimism that existed in 2017 is gone and that is 100% because of Vince McMahon and his inability to treat his fanbase like they matter and believing the he knows better than them.

#22 ·
It made me cancel the WWE Network. If they don’t care, why should I?

Looking back, I can understand it as a forced “soft power” kind of move. Not sure if it helped them get a better TV deal in India. I know Jinder didn’t connect as a draw to Indian fans, but long-term, having a history of pushing talent that is marketed as being Indian might have some sort of benefit. It’s traditional pro-wrestling though. As a pro-wrestler, he sucks. Good for him turning his life around though.

#23 ·
This is a really low bar for a long-reigning WWE champion, but you need to be good at something. Mahal's below average at best on the mic and horrific in the ring, relying entire on his juiced-up physique and nothing else. When people correctly say he's one of the worst champions ever, it's not an exaggeration. He really was.

#26 ·
meh.

#27 ·
Probably the most random world title reign in company history.

It managed to give Smackdown a legit heel champ for a short while, but it ultimately went nowhere and benefitted no one. I mean, it's cool Jinder can say he was WWE Champion, but that's about it.

WWE's got two world titles so they can experiment with bizarre picks for world champ once in a while. In that respect, Jinder's run pretty much falls in with that of Swagger, Khali, Henry, etc.

#28 ·
Hello as long time wrestling fan, I think it was a marketing exercise.

They did it as the WWE were opening offices in India and wanted to expand in new in a territory and gain revenue.

Jinder tittle reign was portrayed differently in India where the local commentators portrayed him as face, rather than a heal.

The same could apply if there was a Chinese wrestler who they made champion just to get extra revenue from China.

Yours

Farhan

#30 ·
well they are opening NXT India soon. despite him not being qualified to be have been world champion, there really hasn't been as big of an Indian star aside from Kahli in any promotion. who's to say he didn't open doors for those newly signed talents in the superstar spectacle ? (even though I personally was not impressed by any of them so far) they do see value in him and like him backstage. they could easily build him back up into the main event or IC/US division if they want to upon his return and he could be a viable contender

and while he didn't explode into some mega star in India during the while thing he was still well received by fans and well liked there.

#32 ·
A hilariously poorly conceived and executed attempt to break into the Indian market.

Jinder's title run had nothing to actually do with Jinder. If Tiger Ali Sing was on the roster he would have been given the push, and that sums up the whole problem.

WWe didn't push Jinder because they saw something in him or the fans were clamoring for a run, they did it because they had an Indian tour coming up and Jinder was the first Indian (even though he's actually Canadian) they saw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.