Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
but the heat he got wasn't just people booing the booking. It was a mix of both that and the ones reacting to the anti American cheap heat stuff. there were "USA" chants etc. as I said, so the anti American gimmick was still part of his heat, as was just the undeserving aspect. and people legitamely despised the character regardless of if it was booking or go away heat or however you describe it, the hate he was getting helped get AJ more over at the time in his career as a babyface. I'd even go as far to say that Jinder vs. AJ was the better match between that and AJ vs. Nakamura due to AJ winning the title, making history of winning in the UK, and the fact that AJ vs. Nakamura simply didn't live up to the hype at Wrestlemania. the angle was built around low blows and Nakamura's newfound heel character, while AJ vs. Jinder was a classic 80's style David vs. Goliath match which resulted in AJ having a memorable title victory.
Sure there was some cheap USA stuff. That's kind of like the "you suck" chant during Angles entrance, it is so ingrained people can't help it lol.

I do agree that Styles vs Nakamura was not what it could have been. I think a lot of that had to do with Nakamura losing a ton of his momentum by losing to Jinder. They didn't build up Jinder at all, so it felt like Nakamura couldn't beat a jobber.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I didn't mind it in the least, but I liked JBLs run as well. I like to be sports entertained and Jinder's reign was sports entertaining.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sure there was some cheap USA stuff. That's kind of like the "you suck" chant during Angles entrance, it is so ingrained people can't help it lol.

I do agree that Styles vs Nakamura was not what it could have been. I think a lot of that had to do with Nakamura losing a ton of his momentum by losing to Jinder. They didn't build up Jinder at all, so it felt like Nakamura couldn't beat a jobber.
I just don't think the match or the feud itself was as great as people were expecting it to be. Nakamura also wasn't as captivating to people as a heel and I didn't think it was the right direction for him. in short, AJ vs. Jinder exceeded expectations while AJ vs. Nakamrua did not live up to the expectations people set. Whether that was because it was in a WWE ring and not in NJPW I suppose is something to consider as well but I personally think the Aj vs. Jinder was a better feud than vs. Nakamura.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
One of the worst World/WWE champions of all time.

Comparing his reign to JBL's is just wrong. Bradshaw might also have gone from midcard jobber to WWE champion practically overnight but at least he turned out to be an outstanding mic worker and had a memorable blood feud with Eddie Guerrero. JBL was a phenomenal heel. Not to mention his character took a 180 turn.

Mahal was boring before winning the title and continued being boring after winning it. He sunk back to complete irrelevance after losing the title.

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
He carried himself fairly well and tried his best to present himself as credible so I'll give him that. However, some of those PPV matches he had defending the title against Orton and Nakamura were pretty awful.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
One of the worst World/WWE champions of all time.

Comparing his reign to JBL's is just wrong. Bradshaw might also have gone from midcard jobber to WWE champion practically overnight but at least he turned out to be an outstanding mic worker and had a memorable blood feud with Eddie Guerrero. JBL was a phenomenal heel. Not to mention his character took a 180 turn.

Mahal was boring before winning the title and continued being boring after winning it. He sunk back to complete irrelevance after losing the title.
I agree that JBL's character evolved and he was a great mic worker but his reign as champion turned lots of people away from the WWE at the time, just like people claim Jinder's did in 2017. JBL was not a draw as champion and could be described as a commercial failure. Lesnar vs. Taker at No Mercy in 2003 had an attendance of 275,000. The following year, JBL vs. Taker at No Mercy 2004 did 183,000 (this is according to WhatCulture's statistics). I do agree that JBL is an all around better performer and more experienced than Mahal.. I don't think he is as marketable and he suffered from the same meteoric rise Jinder did going from a low card wrestler to a main event talent almost overnight.

as far as you saying Jinder was boring before his reign and continued being boring, that's subjective but it's unfair to say he didn't evolve as a wrestler and character. I do not think he is a remarkable talent but he improve did in all categories (look, ring, mic) and was a solid champion. the only thing missing was the lack of build and the lack of experience of rushing him into the main event and expecting him to give main event level performances when he clearly wasn't ready.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
One of the worst ever. He’s not capable of a good match because he only has about 2 moves. The Punjabi Prison match was awful. Then he did the racist promos against Nakamura which were cringe worthy. At least the Miz can put on a good match every so often. Jinder is beyond awful.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I’m in the minority, I realize, but I loved his championship reign. He was a cowardly heel who looked like a million bucks. He reminded me of Rick Rude in another universe who would’ve had a memorable championship run.

People are too serious about this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm with you, I enjoyed his run very much. He was definitely the odd man out but it was cool to see. I took him way more serious than say, the Miz..

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
the move is totally dependent on the person taking to make it look good (similar to a DDT). the only time it's been legit botched is when it was done on Nakamura (and that was Nakamura's fault).

look how AJ and others have taken it and made it look legit while Orton and Nakamura made it look like shit. That isn't Jinder's fault.
It's just a move that should not be a finisher. Bobby Lashley made it look decent when he attacked McIntyre last Sunday, but still.

Mahal is not main eventer material. His character is Evil Foreigner #57. He's an average performer in all departments, having a good physique being the only thing most people would highlight about him. Outside of trying to use Mahal in order to increase the fanbase in the big Indian market, there's no point in Mahal being anything more than a lowcarder, midcarder at best. That's pretty much obvious.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Forgettable, garbage and should’ve never happened. What’s worse is that they demoted horribly after his reign. How low can you be if you’re seen chasing after the 24/7 title. They don’t even use him in a serious manner anymore, it’s like what was the point in even making him champion.

They did elevate him well and put the effort to present him well with entrances, ceremonies etc, but the reigns lasted longer than it should’ve.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I just don't think the match or the feud itself was as great as people were expecting it to be. Nakamura also wasn't as captivating to people as a heel and I didn't think it was the right direction for him. in short, AJ vs. Jinder exceeded expectations while AJ vs. Nakamrua did not live up to the expectations people set. Whether that was because it was in a WWE ring and not in NJPW I suppose is something to consider as well but I personally think the Aj vs. Jinder was a better feud than vs. Nakamura.
The main roster, mostly Vince McMahon, just didn't know how to book someone like Nakamura. The guy was over huge in NXT by just being himself and being charismatic and wrestling his strong style. He came to the main roster and his first feud was with Ziggler where Ziggler basically pointed out everything not cool about him. He called him a Michael Jackson rip-off, and the company started referring to him as "the artist" and they clearly limited his strong style in the ring. By the time he lost to Jinder, it was clear to Nakamura fans that they just weren't going to let him be what he was in NXT because Vince always feels the need to make things his own instead of letting talent be himself.

Jinder was way more up Vince's ally. Vince loves guys that don't force him to think outside the box. Jinder was big and muscular and a foreigner which is why Vince preferred him. He was perfectly generic. None of this is a knock on Jinder himself, he worked hard but at the end of the day he is average to below average on the mic and in the ring.

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,684 Posts
Reality is as ridiculous as the circumstances around it were, we've actually had worse World Title reigns since. Rollins 19. Strowman 20. Fiend 19 and 20. Drew McIntyre 20/21.

All I can think about at this point though is how Jinder was booked as a more credible Champ than Miz could possibly hope to be.

People say he was the worst ever. I think Miz has taken that honour.
McIntyre marks trying to claim the worst fanbase accolade from the Rollins marks.

Miz has been Champ for 1 day and produced the first quality promo from a Main Eventer in years. Meanwhile your boy Drew sunk the ratings and produced zero worthwhile moments in 10 months as Champ.

·
Registered
41 Posts
WWE never really wanted him to be the face of the company. The only reason why they made him champion is because they did a tour in India, his home country and wanted all the people in India to be happy and celebrate with the WWE Champion. Hence why he lost the title quick and dont think ever got the chance to win it back and wont ever win it again

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
One of the worst ever. He’s not capable of a good match because he only has about 2 moves. The Punjabi Prison match was awful. Then he did the racist promos against Nakamura which were cringe worthy. At least the Miz can put on a good match every so often. Jinder is beyond awful.
moves are not what make a match good, his match with AJ had good storytelling (something that is missing a lots of matches today).
The main roster, mostly Vince McMahon, just didn't know how to book someone like Nakamura. The guy was over huge in NXT by just being himself and being charismatic and wrestling his strong style. He came to the main roster and his first feud was with Ziggler where Ziggler basically pointed out everything not cool about him. He called him a Michael Jackson rip-off, and the company started referring to him as "the artist" and they clearly limited his strong style in the ring. By the time he lost to Jinder, it was clear to Nakamura fans that they just weren't going to let him be what he was in NXT because Vince always feels the need to make things his own instead of letting talent be himself.

Jinder was way more up Vince's ally. Vince loves guys that don't force him to think outside the box. Jinder was big and muscular and a foreigner which is why Vince preferred him. He was perfectly generic. None of this is a knock on Jinder himself, he worked hard but at the end of the day he is average to below average on the mic and in the ring.
I think they could have told a better story with him tbh but they chose the tried and true foreign heel route, which I know most people dislike but it was refreshing to me to see a modern day version of a classic 80's heel. I think he has the misfortune of being born in the wrong era of wrestling for him. Had he existed in the 80's or early 90's, he would be perfect as a rival for Hulk Hogan. that said, a jobber heel who still looks credible and weaseled his way into the main event to me was still a fun angle but they should have better prepared him for it instead of just thrusting him into the main event to sink or swim.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
WWE never really wanted him to be the face of the company. The only reason why they made him champion is because they did a tour in India, his home country and wanted all the people in India to be happy and celebrate with the WWE Champion. Hence why he lost the title quick and dont think ever got the chance to win it back and wont ever win it again
he did hold the title for six months ... and he did get a chance to win it back. can't remember the PPV but he did get a rematch with AJ. He also qualified for another world title match when he begged Vince McMahon backstage and they put him in a match with Ricochet to qualify (which he lost). can't remember exactly what that was about but I remember that on RAW

as far as "he will never win it again" ... I wouldn't go that far to say that. they'v made his character this infamous figure that will cheat his way into opportunities. it's very likely they were planning for Drew vs. Jinder at Mania but his knee injury prevented that. I doubt Jinder would have gone on to win that match, but I have no doubts that was their big plan and not being able to do it is very possible why Drew has now dropped his title.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
If Jinder had only improved his ring work to the point where he was tolerable it would have been a great run. Say what you will about JBL but he was a waaaay better wrestler than Jinder is. That being said Jinder looked good as champion. But sadly that's all he had, he just looked like a monster. You can't ride on that only at some point you have to be a good worker. He sucked in the ring. He moves very stiff and awkwardly. No grace or semblance of agility or athleticism.

·
Registered
267 Posts
in terms of presentation, it was one of the better reigns of the past few years. Better than Seth's most recent reign and imo he was a more entertaining champion than Kofi for me but I'm sure many will disagree. Enjoyed his feud with Orton and AJ, I love how AJ brought out the best of him as far as work rate. I would like to see him feud with Drew.
Yeah, I really liked his entrance. Not really a solid worker to me, though, and it was kinda fucked up the way he mocked Nakamura.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts