Wrestling Forum banner

This Years Wrestlemania's PPV Buy-Rate?

4184 Views 36 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  rafichamp
What do you guys think this years Wrestlemania will do in terms of PPV-Buy-Rate? Last year did around 900,000 buys. But for some reason I think this years will reach 1m. What about you guys?

Can they do over 1m with the current predicted Wrestlemania Card? If not who do they need as a guest host to do so?

Discuss

**It seems that The Rock is back! I am sure you guys will have a change in numbers
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
I didn't buy last years Wrestlemania, but i will get this years one, not because of the card or any recent storylines... I want to watch it for old times sake, i rememember getting really excited for Wrestlemania 16/17/18 etc, those were the days...
As this post helps to illuminate, I think for all of the (over)analysis of the strength of a given Wrestlemania's card/celebrity power, a lot of people tend to buy this one event based on fairly emotional reasons. Two years ago, the card sucked save for HBK/Undertaker (and yes, Orton/Trips was a very hot feud and that helped, too) but it still did pretty well on its own terms primarily because WWE hyped it to high heaven as the "25th Anniversary of Wrestlemania" and a lot of casuals were attracted to the hype. I was talking with a casual fan last night at a grocery store who literally said they'd be buying this year's Wrestlemania because he wants to see how the Georgia Dome looks for a Wrestlemania.

Obviously, these can be considered "outlier" buys to some degree, but if you bundle a bunch of "outlier" buys together, they probably make some kind of impact. Hype. Hot, soap opera-like feuds that attract casuals. An interesting location/venue. A guest host? Etceteras.

Last year's card was stacked from bottom to top and underperformed based on the strength of its card.

I do think Orton/Cena would be the worst option, though. Even casuals are tired of it, much less the smart mark audience of which the Boston crowd was representative at The Royal Rumble. Orton's still not nearly at Cena's level. This isn't the time for their Wrestlemania one-on-one encounter (which I'm quite certain will happen before either guy retires).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.