Wrestling Forum banner

This Wrestlemania is shaping up to be like Wrestlemania 21

1411 Views 17 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Mr. Blonde
WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS. IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO STILL DON'T HAVE A SHITS CLUE AS TO WHAT SOME OF THE MATCHES ARE GOING TO BE OR THE POSSIBLE OUT COMES AND DON'T WANT TO KNOW, THEN GTFO OF THIS THREAD. Thank you :)

Yes I'm serious. I think judging by the way the card is, it looks like this years Wrestlemania, in terms of matches and events that are to happen at the event, is going to be almost similar in every way to Wrestlemania 21. How so? Well lets look at what it looks like is going to be the card for this years event (although there could be more matches that could still be added)

WWE Championship match: John Cena vs The Miz (c)

World Heavyweight Championship Match: Alberto Del Rio vs Edge (c) OR Alberto Del Rio vs Christian vs Edge (c) (due to the events that occurred at EC)
Streak vs Career: Triple H vs Undertaker
Randy Orton vs Cm Punk
Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes
Big Show vs Wade Barrett
Layla vs Michelle McCool

R Truth vs the Milwaukee natives (lol jk)
MITB ladder match
Michael Cole vs Jerry Lawler

Now for those of you that remember Wrestlemania 21, the story of that event was pretty much this. The main events didn't deliver to the least bit, where as most of the under and upper mid card matches delivered extremely well. It looks like in this case, Taker vs HHH is going to be like Angle vs Michaels (although it obviously won't be as good), Orton vs Punk is going to be like Orton vs Taker, Mysterio vs Rhodes is going to be like Mysterio vs Eddie, MITB is going to be like MITB (in the words of Del Rio himself, you already know that), Show vs Barrett is going to pretty much be like the stupid sumo match, and Lawler vs Cole is going to be like Hogan saving Eugine (it will barely even be a match is what I'm saying)and as for Layla vs McCool, it will be like Hemme vs Stratus (and I think it'll be better than Stratus vs hemme.)

Now for the main events. Both look like they're going to end up like the way Wrestlemania 21's main events ended up like. We're going to have two new world champions. One of the main events (Del Rio vs Edge) features a new comer who's main eventing his first ever wrestlemania to take on a veteran who's familiar with the main event scene (just like Boretista vs HHH) and the other one features someone who's in his first world title reign taking on an extremely popular and hungry opponent (Miz vs Cena, only difference here is that Cena is now a six time world champion and Miz isn't as over as JBL was during his title reign, which makes it even less likely that he will win).

Thoughts?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
176 Posts
I can see where you're going with this, however I do see some differences. The big difference between 21 and 27 is how the card looks on paper because as it stands, 21 still has a stronger card on paper. Now this can change if they manage to create some proper build up for 27. The other issue I have with 27's card is that some of the feuds do not feel compelling to see at the moment(particularly the title matches). But I still where you are going with this.

· Registered
977 Posts
cena a six time champion huh?

i think you are missing one vital component to this years mania. THE ROCK

this will be a WM like no other. Comparing it to another is just a bit silly now isnt it? :flip

· Registered
2,111 Posts
Edge v ADR should deliver a pretty good match (better than HHH/Tista) and Cena v Miz will be on par with Cena v JBL, if you include the rock as guest ref this makes for a big main event (bigger than Cena v JBL)

· Ho!
20,568 Posts
Edge/Del Rio will probably be a better match than Batista/Triple H... which was mediocre at best... it will especially be better if Del Rio's in ring ability is as good as people have been saying.

Cena/Miz will probably be a better match than Cena/JBL, because Cena/JBL was pretty damn bad, and it will be hard to get worse than that. Plus Miz is maybe a slight bit better in the ring than JBL, and Cena is much better now than he was then, so it could make for a good match. Plus the two have history.

And the undercard will probably deliver well as well. This actually looks like it could be a solid WM. WM21 looked like it would be a great Mania on paper, and it was good, but not great. Hopefully WM27 can exceed expectations.

· Banned
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cena a six time champion huh?

i think you are missing one vital component to this years mania. THE ROCK

this will be a WM like no other. Comparing it to another is just a bit silly now isnt it? :flip
So just because the Rock is there that means it will be like no other wrestlemania? Have you forgotten all of the other Wrestlemania's that the Rock has been a part of? Also, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan were both a big part of Wrestlemania 21, so technically I'm not missing any vital component. The Rock is just the host. That's it. Unless he does a run in for one of the matches I don't see him having that big of a role to the point where people will be talking so much about it after the event.

· Dragon Slayer
6,638 Posts
Cena is a 9 time champion not 6. Cena's WM 27 match will without question be better than his WM 21 match. Edge and ADR doesn't have nearly the starpower or the story that Trips and Batista had so I doubt it will compare.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
I'm really not seeing the comparison. First of all, even though HHH/Batista was not a great match, it was great for the storyline, and it was the perfect culmination to the greatest buildup to a WM main event ever. The seeds were planted for this match six months earlier and they built to it perfectly. They were also evenly matched and it created a new superstar in Batista.

While JBL/Cena had little buildup and was not a good match, JBL was at least built up as champion for nine months, which made people desperate for someone to end his reign. Everyone also knew that Cena was the next big thing and his challenging JBL was another changing of the guard. They also had very contrasting characters, so it worked.

HBK/Angle was a "dream" match and had been building for months, and Orton/UT was the first time (second, if you count HHH at WM X7) anyone really questioned if UT could lose at WM.

On paper and in execution, WM 21 looked, and was, good.

Now, take away The Rock. What do you have? Miz has been champion since November, which I guess is a long time nowadays, Cena hasn't been champion since June, which I guess is also a long time, the build began after EC, and they're not evenly matched at all.

Edge/ADR is the most random WHC title match at a WM ever, it literally looks like the main event of a SD (same can be said for the WWE title match). The storyline has yet to begin, but I doubt they're going to get me excited for Edge in another WHC match at WM against someone who debuted in the company in, what, August? I love ADR, but it's too damn soon.

And HHH/UT is cool, yes, but it's been done and stinks of WWE's lack of star power and roster depth. They have no dream matches left.

· Registered
484 Posts
I agree. I forget how the Big Show was going prior to that event but having a sumo match at Mania just seemed like a way to get cheap laughs for showing Big Show in a nappy. Terrible.

· Banned
9,640 Posts
Nice try but it's just not a good analysis or comparison at all. Just about everything your trying to tell us being equal or similar in resemblance to Wrestlemania 21 anybody could easily see being different or much different. They are different and in the end if you make this thread again people will look back on both Wrestlemanias and probably be split down the line or this one will be even better.

· Banned
13,614 Posts
The diffrence is with the main events Batista and Cena were Faces going up agianst heels while Miz and Delrio are heels going up against faces. The thing is i only see 1 of them winning not both. WWE wont have 2 heels win championship matches at WM. I can see Miz retaining since he already has the belt. Heels have retained world titles before at WM but never have won them. So thats why i see Miz winning insted if Del Rio

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.