Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
None but ourselves
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I wax poetic about the same shit everybody else is: Mods, do with this what you will - I just want to express and have a few people read it.

The bigger picture
: I know many will be thinking "omg fans are so butthurt about their guy not winning, let them push Roman and get over it" and that's a fair perspective but thankfully it doesn't seem to be the majority; those people are looking at the spark and not the gas leak.

The gas has been filling the areans for almost ten years now, slowly but surely, John Cena's rejection began just a few years after his coronation and if you'd have told those Hammerstein Ballroom fans in 2006 that their sentiments would become the norm for a huge portion of WWE's fanbase yet the promotion would stubbornly stick to The John Cena Show for another eight years at least, well they'd probably pass out...or riot, maybe both.

CM Punk was the hero the "WWE Universe" deserved but not the one they needed (am I using that right? I've never understood that quote if I'm being honest). Daniel Bryan, though, he united man woman and child like no other had been able to and so now finally the elusive torch must be passed...? Even though many (most?) of us rejected Cena, we had no good answer to the question "If not him then who?"; well now we did and that's when the veneer was shattered (torn apart then, roll with it) - WWE finally had a popular babyface with universal appeal who had all the skills and qualificatios but...yeah "not so much" as the smug language abusers say, they weren't going with it.

Daniel Bryan represented change but more importantly he represented the people, both in his on screen role as an overlooked unlikely hero and in real life as a working class American Dream who could move mountains. The stubborn, stagnant, out of touch corporate behemoth WWE was that mountain and when they saw Bryan they saw an ant and laughed, they thought crushing him..after giving the fans just enough to shut them up ala Zack Ryder..would be easy because they were the machine and he's just a little, little person. Bryan didn't rage, he didn't vent sarcastically on social media, he didn't become bitter, he just kept on doing the best he could and accepted his plight. If it had been intentional, it would never have worked, that's the power of non resistence.

Because he didn't resist and because the audience knew he deserved better, WE resisted for him. THAT is the secret to Bryan's power - he's become a conduit for the tens and hundreds of thousands of passionate fans who are just now realising that THEIR strength collectively is greater than any McMahon made construction.

Last year it was Batista, this year it is Roman Reigns. To understand the passion you have to see the bigger picture - Reigns is a developmental level talent being prematurely positioned as the heir apparent to Cena's empire; this would be fine if he were the people's choice but much like the polarising John Cena, he isn't. WWE has paid lip service to the fans for years now, telling us how everything they do is to entertain us and that they'd just love to hear our thoughts on every single match by using the hashtag...#CancelWWENetwork ? The illusion of a democracy, an illusion they decided to construct, is broken and this generation's connected fans are thus disillusioned.

Just as governments underestimate their citizens, WWE has gravely underestimated the intelligence and the will of its audience. From eliminating Bryan early from the Rumble to give fans time to 'get over it' to trotting Roman's cousin The Rock out in a failed attempt to diffuse the unrest, we see the game they're playing and will call their bluff every time. Yes Daniel Bryan already received his day in the sun but it wasn't supposed to be some Cinderella story, some miracle granted to a needy child for but one day, it was supposed to be the start of something different; Reigns represents another decade of more of the same, of token fan appreciation and then back to "they'll get what they're given and like what I tell them to like, dammit!".

A government must exist to serve its people or revolution is inevitable just as a business must exist to serve its customers or its eventual failure is likewise inevitable. Fortunately for Vince McMahon, the unyielding fanbase he's cultivated for generations does not want to see the empire fall, unfortunately for Vince he is now the one who stands in the way of his own prosperity. It is his will versus the will of the people, unfortunately for him pro wrestling events don't work so well when the people won't stop chanting "bullshit" and "we want refunds".

"But they still support the product!" - well this former Network subscriber does not and neither do the people who cancelled their subscriptions in such volumes that the infrastructure collapsed and the worldwide trending #CancelWWENetwork made mainstream news. Might want to consider putting smiles on those faces, Vince.

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
I thought I might just skip an episode or two and call it a day. But to each their own.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This pretty much sums it up. People think that we are just wining because "our guy" didn't win. No. We are smart enough to know that Roman is supposed to be the next Cena. How blind can they be? Bryan is what the customer wants! This rumble is different than any other, this one showed where the WWE plans to go in the future. A lot of fans were smart enough to see that.

·
tombstone blues
14,292 Posts
it'll be just another pro wrestling wiki / bleacherreport article of an event in the slow decline of wwe as vince got closer to his threescore and ten. but it'll be a decently big article.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Yeah, however, I know from experience that long posts are rarely read entirely.(I did, from one long poster to another).

Let's say we have the Bryan moment. Let it last a while, maybe even a year. In that time they can really develop Roman Reigns into what they want, a credible main event star. Of course that will take some work, but I believe they can do it:

1. He needs Cardio. Have DDP Work him over and while doing that:

2. Have him teach Reigns the "ropes". Have him learn some more moves..Hell, maybe even give him the "Diamond Cutter" and then:

3. Give him over to ring technicians. Have him learn Hip tosses and the like, Anything that a big man can do. Russian leg sweeps,etc. Fill him up with holds. and then:

4. Have him go over promos until he can actually do them. Give him a manager. Give him a run as heel with Bray Wyatt as his manager.

Then turn him on Wyatt after being manipulated into doing the dirty work and bam, he's a face that fans can get behind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.