Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The real life matches are starting to look like a video game match where you have to hit somebody with 5 finishers just to pin them. Triple H/Undertaker. Cena/Punk. Now Punk/Triple H.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
It's always exciting in big matches, example Shawn Michaels vs. Taker.... Tombstone, it's gotta be over, and Shawn kicks out. Those are moments where you freak out as a fan and jump to your feet. Always good, but I agree with you, it seems like it's happening a lot as of late.

·
Sheriff of Piltover
2,880 Posts
I personally like the build up and multi-finishers. It is a great way to build excitement and last night I was truly excited during the HHH vs Punk match. It was great. I thought Punk might have done a "warrior" when HHH pedigreed him.

·
Registered
146 Posts
They need to do this a lot LESS then they are. A finisher kickout needs to be unexpected, special, exciting, "WTF how is this match going to end?" when it's utilized. Right now Cena/Orton kick out of finishers CONSTANTLY. Every PPV they are kicking out of a finisher. Now Punk and HHH are doing it too. Miz has done it once or twice that I can think of. They are just using it way too damn much.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
Agree with OP, too many finishers with kick-outs, they've lost all impact. I'd much rather see multiple unsuccessful attempts, so that when it hits it really means something. Every once in a while would be OK but for the most part, once they hit that move, the match should essentially be over.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What bugs me more is how matches never end on a move that isn't designated a finisher, despite some guys using the finishers of others as regular moves. The times when someone hits a DDT or powerbomb and the commentators act like the match could be over when you know there's no way at all it'll end with that. It'd be nice if occasionally that did happen, it could create more suspense and make things a little more "realistic".

·
Premium Member
43,588 Posts
It does get annoying when it happens all the time. Especially since when somebody kicks out of a finisher, I know the other guy is kicking out of that guy's finisher too. Its like clock work.

I made an entire thread about this too, but I'm tired of how big moves that aren't designated finishers are always used to get a close two count. Miz's DDT for example. He never wins with it, yet I'm supposed to be shocked when somebody kicks out of it every single time. Yeah, ok.

So matches can only end with a designated finisher and with main events, you'll see multiple kick outs.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
The real life matches are starting to look like a video game match where you have to hit somebody with 5 finishers just to pin them. Triple H/Undertaker. Cena/Punk. Now Punk/Triple H.
lmao holy shit I thought I was the only one thinking that. Like when CM Punk did the 'into sharpshooter ass kick' reversal I was like lmao, people actually do that?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
No idea what the OP is on about. If anything the WWE is too conservative in this regard. They don't utilize false finishes for the purpose of drama or storytelling nearly as much as they could while still garnering the same reaction. It's not about quantity, it's about being used appropriately. As long as it's done when the match or storyline calls for it, it's fine.

I think the real underlying issue that may be bothering the OP is what TripleG mentioned, being that most of the WWE roster have a very shallow set of finishing moves to draw from. If a Triple H match calls for two false finishes, you're getting two Pedigrees because Triple H has no other established finishing move. Everyone in the WWE has plenty of signature moves, but they never garner pinfalls, rendering them completely impotent as false finishes.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Yeah happening to often. But it is exiting, last match I remember exiting with mutli finishers the very first Kane vs Taker.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts