Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just like one guy recently pointed out on these forums, this wasn't just Sting vs Hogan. This was WCW vs WWF/"Good vs Evil". The ending was horrible, but this moment was amazing.
And this is why if he joins WWE he no longer will be an Icon IMO.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Um, no. This was WCW v. nWo.

And I really don't see how a friggin entrance makes him an icon. If anything, he's an ICON for being the face of WCW for well over a decade.

And I really have no idea why you think he would no longer be an icon if he signed with WWE. Sounds like spiteful WWE-hate bullshit to me.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Yeah, The Crow Sting is G.O.A.T.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

And I really don't see how a friggin entrance makes him an icon. If anything, he's an ICON for being the face of WCW for well over a decade.

And I really have no idea why you think he would no longer be an icon if he signed with WWE. Sounds like spiteful WWE-hate bullshit to me.
Not hating at all. Just like I said Hogan vs Sting, at that very moment, obviously was a WCW vs WWF storyline. Sting ALWAYS represented what was good about WCW. WCW was(unfortunately) WWF's ultimate rival. Sting will destroy this magic and will become just another "Legend". Hall of Fame - Mr.T/Sting.
Again, NOTHING against WWE. I respect their history. But why should we destroy/disrespect other histories?

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Not hating at all. Just like I said Hogan vs Sting, at that very moment, obviously was a WCW vs WWF storyline. Sting ALWAYS represented what was good about WCW. WCW was(unfortunately) WWF's ultimate rival. Sting will destroy this magic and will become just another "Legend". Hall of Fame - Mr.T/Sting.
Again, NOTHING against WWE. I respect their history. But why should we destroy/disrespect other histories?
I don't see how this match had anything to do with WWE whatsoever, but okay...

It was the culmination of the epic WCW v. nWo storyline and WCW was well in-charge of the ratings (and not because of Sting I might add) when this happened. Nothing about it represented WWE in any way, shape, or form. You're delving too much into this.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Um, no. This was WCW v. nWo. with WWE.
I disagree. This was Sting vs. nWo. I say this because the WCW wrestlers were booked as retards that were constantly outsmarted by Bischoff. They couldn't even have enough sense to stand together and were looking for a saviour. That saviour was Sting, and the nWo knew it, which is one of the many reasons the nWo wanted him to join.

Sting was the only one booked smart enough to play mind games with the nWo (multiple Stings, appearing when the lights were turned off/on, rapelling from the ceiling.) The battle with Hogan was the one they wanted to see, and that was almost fucked up by Hogan's jealousy.

That being said, people make a big deal of Sting not going to WWE because at the time it was considered the big time and every wrestler strived to be there. As much as Goldberg claimed he hated HHH, He still went and worked a program with him. Because he didn't go you're left to play,"What if?" and do dream matches.

To be honest, I've felt that McMahon took it personal that Sting never joined. He didn't go because he didn't want to.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
that entrance kicked ass. great stuff. tna needs to find a way to add some epicness to their stuff much like this. it would really change things a lot.

·
Registered
340 Posts
this is another example of people being clouded by nostalgia, at the time i remember everyone on the net hating that entrance and now 13 years later it is labeled as the defining moment of Stings career. or maybe it just shows that internet fans complain about everything and only realise how good something is years after it happened?

i was never a big fan of sting tbh but he is an icon especially to wcw fans

·
Registered
320 Posts
Actually as someone that has recently watched the entire Nitro run it was about the WWF. The whole thing was an invasion storyline. Hogan would later say in the ring he set the whole thing up when he came to WCW. He wanted to get in good and then start bringing the guys that worked for the WWF to take over. This was the main reason for Savage switching sides so it was well into the NWO storyline. That's why Sting had to be the one to stand against them. He was the only person that had never worked for Vince.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually as someone that has recently watched the entire Nitro run it was about the WWF. The whole thing was an invasion storyline. Hogan would later say in the ring he set the whole thing up when he came to WCW. He wanted to get in good and then start bringing the guys that worked for the WWF to take over. This was the main reason for Savage switching sides so it was well into the NWO storyline. That's why Sting had to be the one to stand against them. He was the only person that had never worked for Vince.
Yes. Only a WCW fan will understand this.

But I'm not saying this only as a WCW fan. I love Wrestling WORLD. I don't want to live in the WWE Universe(again, no disrespect to WWE).

·
also known as a BUSTER
12,019 Posts
"This is why Hulk Hogan is an arsehole" should be the thread title. The nWo beat the shit out of everyone for months and years and Hogan wouldn't even put Sting over, despite it being best for business and despite the fact that every heel, in the known universe, put Hogan over during the height of his career. He ripped off the fans and helped start the slow and painful death of WCW.

·
Banned
8,557 Posts
Still think he's overrated.
His character post 1996 is what made Sting popular with the fans(reason why I became a Sting fan) , I always found Sting in the ring to be ok.

It also shows another example why is important to have first a great character than great wrestling skills.

Its stupid that the man was forced to wrestle this year with an injured shoulder.

Stupid Dixie Carter.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"This is why Hulk Hogan is an arsehole" should be the thread title. The nWo beat the shit out of everyone for months and years and Hogan wouldn't even put Sting over, despite it being best for business and despite the fact that every heel, in the known universe, put Hogan over during the height of his career. He ripped off the fans and helped start the slow and painful death of WCW.
I agree. I think Hogan told everyone backstage that this ending with Bret Hart was "a good idea". "We'r gonna put over Bret, brother!". In reality he just protected himself.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
His character post 1996 is what made Sting popular with the fans(reason why I became a Sting fan) , I always found Sting in the ring to be ok.

It also shows another example why is important to have first a great character than great mic skills.

Its stupid that the man was forced to wrestle this year with an injured shoulder.

Stupid Dixie Carter.
I guess its the kind of thing where you need to be around at the time to understand.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts