Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone who said that after BFG...
apology please?

you probably said Hardy can't be a heel as well.
apologize again!

No product is perfect but I think everything except ratings have improved.
I would now like to see them perform Impact in a better area, and I would love to attend a house show I have never been to one.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I don't know why but somehow i thought the OP was talking about Matt Hardy at first. :lmao

I don't think i need to apologize for those things (i never said TNA was like WCW even though in reality it's perhaps partly true). Needs more time to finally judge how good Jeff is as a heel.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff Hardy is a good heel. I'll admit that.

But TNA is still worse than WCW ever was.
Obviously it went out of business, but I thought it was the best wrestling show I have seen, in its prime.

I was trying to say where do people get off comparing TNA to WCW, just because Hogan went heel?

·
Registered
701 Posts
But TNA is still worse than WCW ever was.
Ah, cool it with the hyperbole. Speaking as someone who grew up with bad NWA/WCW, I can easily say TNA hasn't reached Shockmaster/Dungeon of Doom/WCW 2000 levels of awful. Of course, it hasn't even had the chance to try to have the awful impact of the worst of WCW.

But is TNA a clone of WCW? Of course! And not the good 1989 or 1995-96 runs but nowhere near the 1990-91 and post '96 era.

I know I sound like a parrot but because someone derives joy for TNA does not make it good. The lack of buyrates, ratings, merch sales, et. al. prove that out. I'm a champion for finding the underdog and rooting it on but wrestling is driven by catering to the mainstream wrestling fan and the smark equally. TNA can't do either.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Obviously it went out of business, but I thought it was the best wrestling show I have seen, in its prime.

I was trying to say where do people get off comparing TNA to WCW, just because Hogan went heel?
It feels like WCW. Then again at certain points in time, like the late 80s early 90s WCW was the just greatest show in history. And in 1996 to 1997 it was pretty damn awesome.

Problem is, TNA has inherited all of WCW's flaws but none of the strengths. The bloated roster, the over the hill guys, misuse of young talent, Hogan, Russo etc. WCW was about being different than WWF. Better wrestling. Interesting main event. Good tag teams. Epic cruiserweight division. Multicultural wrestling. TNA has none of those things.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ah, cool it with the hyperbole. Speaking as someone who grew up with bad NWA/WCW, I can easily say TNA hasn't reached Shockmaster/Dungeon of Doom/WCW 2000 levels of awful. Of course, it hasn't even had the chance to try to have the awful impact of the worst of WCW.

But is TNA a clone of WCW? Of course! And not the good 1989 or 1995-96 runs but nowhere near the 1990-91 and post '96 era.

I know I sound like a parrot but because someone derives joy for TNA does not make it good. The lack of buyrates, ratings, merch sales, et. al. prove that out. I'm a champion for finding the underdog and rooting it on but wrestling is driven by catering to the mainstream wrestling fan and the smark equally. TNA can't do either.
You nailed it to a T brother.

Anyway I really dont understand why people go out of their way to increase their post count by creating threads like this on a regular basis...I mean this is like the nth time we have had a thread like this in the TNA forum.So before people go around criticizing TNA they should take a look at the TNA forum which is just as crazy as Russo's fetish for matches with special stipulations if not more.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I prefer TNA over WWE these days because TNA are actually trying to put out a more mature themed product and the actual wrestling quality is a lot better especially since Shawn Michaels retired at WrestleMania 26 but saying i prefer TNA over WWE these days doesn't really mean that much because both companies are not exactly knocking it out of the park on a regular basis. Right now outside of Cena/Barrett there isn't anything going on in WWE that i care about or really bother watching but that one storyline is still more than TNA has because they messed up their one big storyline at their biggest PPV of the year.

Going into Bound For Glory i think TNA had a serious chance at establishing a monster heel in Mr Anderson who has shown in pieces that he can be a truly despised heel but if TNA creative could actually string together a storyline or a truly great swerve then they should have turned Mr Anderson heel. How it should have gone is for Jeff Hardy to hit Kurt Angle and it look like he had turned and have him hug Hulk Hogan but then Eric Bischoff hand the other crutch to Mr Anderson and then have him hit Jeff Hardy with it and win the title in a double swerve and which would have been better and a hell of a lot more solid in the long term for TNA.

TNA right now is not even as good as WCW was in 1995 and 1996 or 1999 and 2000 if i am completely honest although WWE right now outside of Cena/Barrett is the worst i have seen since 1995 and that is really saying something but because of who they are and the fact that WWE has the biggest star in the industry in John Cena they still get average ratings due in the most part to John Cena. TNA have no one who can draw and the people who are running the show in Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo rely on shocks and swerves to pull in ratings rather than solid storylines, i don't think that TNA even know what they are going to do more than a few weeks in advance and most of what is seen is done on the fly and that will see the company continue to go backwards.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hardy is a good heel .He plays a much more compelling heel than a face ,I think the majority of people agree with this.

But your not getting a apology from people who said it was like WCW because it is ,there's no denying this.There was wrestlers who where washed up in wcw at the time that are on the Tna roster these days ,so that says somethingI feel Tna hasn't reached the low that WCW reached ,but if they don't turn things around they could.I personally think the product is decent the moment ,has it's ups and down but it does draw multiple comparsions to WCW ,it's absurd to deny.

Some of the comparsions :

*Paying heafty wages to wrestlers past their prime or "stars" which they think will draw /increase ratings.
*Giving away PPV quality matches on their weekly Tv shows with no build as a cheap way to draw ratings.
*Hogan's ,Bischoff's and Russo's involvement is quintesential of a comparsion to WCW.
*The disregard of younger more talented wrestlers .
*They both have/had overpacked rosters.
*And of course like WCW ,once Russo is in charge you get the multiple swerves ,illogical booking that almost appears as it is a last minute throw together thing .Seen as Russo as a quick fix solution and not thinking of future storylines /booking.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I've never really felt that the WCW-TNA comparison was fair for the simple reason that at one time WCW drew big money, WCW drew Huge ratings, WCW drew huge crowds in major arenas around the United States, and at one time WCW outperformed WWE.

That's something TNA has never done and will never do.

Sure WCW shit the bed in the end due to poor business decisions but give credit where credit is due they were the only company to nearly defeat the great Vince McMahon and almost succeeded.

Let's review Ted Turner actually bought NWA towards the end of 1988; So let's say WCW was founded in 1989, about 8 years later Monday Nitro was three hours long, they had essembled maybe one of the greatest rosters of all time, and turned Goldberg into a mega star.

What exactly has TNA accomplished in 8 years?

·
Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
12,954 Posts
I still think Hardy can't play a good heel and the similarities to WCW are there so I don't owe anyone an apology.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
TNA wishes it could be WCW again, and that's the sad part.

·
Squared Circle Gimmick
5,371 Posts
I don't think it's WCW again.

TNA's current storylines are just not that good & really hard to get behind.

Russo needs to move to another position in the company and let someone else get a shot at creative.

But... that's up to Dixie.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
You're right it isn't WCW again because the NWO angle was much better when it started. Otherwise it's more or less the same angle and they didn't even do a whole lot to differentiate it from the beginning as for you asking for an apology... why? Were your feelings hurt or something?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
WCW, when it "died," was still a very, very huge company. Their final Nitro drew in the 3s in ratings and they were still a rock solid 2.5 in the ratings on Monday Nights. WCW Thunder was drawing in the upper 1s/lower 2s, the same as Smackdown. They were mismanaged, sure, but people act like they were drawing .9s or something.

TNA would literally have to triple its audience to reach where WCW and where WWE is today. I am a diehard TNA fan but I think it is pretty stupid when people say "its WCW all over again." If it were WCW all over again, TNA officials would be doing cartwheels because they would be in a heated war with the WWE right now.

They arent.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
No one means that the ratings are WCW all over again they mean the same incompetent managment and terrible booking.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts