Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
I disagree, to a certain extent. I agree in that the general downward trend of the whole graph isn't what they're going for. That said, WWE cannot possibly expect to compete with MMA. At all. They're two very different crowds. That once each year (around Wrestlemania) WWE not only competes with but even out-draws MMA is a huge accomplishment, and I'm sure they're probably pleased with that part of the graph.

Throw in the miserably failing economy (so people are less willing to spend $40 on a three hour wrestling show) and I'd say WWE is holding pretty strong. The only really worrisome part I would think, at all, is the downward slide of the weekly ratings, but part of that can also be chalked up to the economy, as families are axing cable.

·
kazooing my way to awesomeness
161 Posts
I think the fact that most kids don't have access to pay per view is a big reason why the buy rates are so low. You need a credit or debit card and parents that are willing to buy it (I don't know many parents that would willingly pay out their own pocket to watch wrestling on a tv.)As the main market is currently aimed at young children it's going to adversely affect the buy rate. They obviously try to recuperate that money by hoping the kids buy a lot of merchandise like t shirts, figures, belts etc, which quite clearly they do. As the product is aimed at kids, more mature fans such as myself (im in my late 20's) don't think much to the current product and don't want to spend cash buying a pay per view that in their mind, will be average at best. Then you take into account that you can stream a pay per view for free over the internet, something you couldn't do 10 years ago and voila, lower buy rates.

With the way the WWE is geared up at the minute, they're making insane amounts of money through merchandise and thats because the kids are eating it up and while they do, I don't think they will be too worried at lower buy rates. As for MMA, again, it's more adult based so you have people with credit cards and full time jobs that have easy access to pay per view, not to mention you can watch WWE a number of times a week whilst MMA only comes up every so often.

·
Super Moderator
19,327 Posts
If the trend keeps up it'll force WWE to do something to change that and that should be a good thing for all the fans.

·
Registered
559 Posts
another thing is well by me anyways, every place with a good tv inside, bars applebees fridays ext. buy ufc whenever its on. only place that does that with wwe that i know of not sure if they still do is buffalo wild wings

·
Registered
184 Posts
If the trend keeps up it'll force WWE to do something to change that and that should be a good thing for all the fans.
Exactly....They have completely remodeled themselves many times before, and if need be I have faith they can do it again. Everything will ebb and flow in popularity however. Right now UFC is on top of the world, but eventually that crowd will get bored, and lose interest. Look at any fad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts