Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think WWE has finally figured out how they should be running their PPVs.

Now, don't jump into conclusion and start arguing, just hear me out.

Here's the card that took place last night.

Daniel Bryan vs. Ted DiBiase for US Championship
John Morrison vs. Sheamus
Kaval vs. Dolph Ziggler for IC Championship
Team Mysterio vs. Team Del Rio
Natalya vs. LayCool + Return of the Glamazon
Kane vs. Edge
Nexus vs. Santino & Kozlov
Orton vs. Barrett w/ Cena ref.

Obviously the main focus of the PPV was on John Cena.
But what I was most impressed about in last couple of PPVs, has been the undercard matches.

I'm not trying to mark Daniel Bryan and Kaval in a biased stand point, but I
have to praise these two and their opponents DiBiase and Ziggler.

These guys have brought some meaning back to US and IC titles. Legitimate
midcard guys with bright future competing with a feud. That's what US title
and IC titles were supposed to be defended, instead of a guy wearing it for
6-7 months and never defending it.

I enjoyed JoMo vs. Sheamus a lot as well. A bit surprised to see a clean victory
for JoMo, but it certainly looks like the guy is finally in line for a big push.

Edge vs. Kane was dull, I would careless about Divas title match, I'm glad
Natalya won and loved to see Beth back, WWE championship ending was a little too
simple, but I'm sure Cena will be hired back by Raw GM tonight.

This is how a PPV is supposed to be built.

Great undercard matches, a divas match with something meaningful in it, and 2
major championships. (Did you realize that EVERY championships were defended last night?)

I'm not going to say Survivor Series is a big hit, but it certainly gets a solid
B from my view.

·
STRONGER THAN A BEAR, FASTER THAN A BUCK!
2,092 Posts
I completely agree apart from the Cena finish which I thought was piss poor simply because they could have done so much more from it.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I think WWE has finally figured out how they should be running their PPVs.

Now, don't jump into conclusion and start arguing, just hear me out.

Here's the card that took place last night.

Kaval vs. Dolph Ziggler for IC Championship
Team Mysterio vs. Team Del Rio
Natalya vs. LayCool + Return of the Glamazon
Kane vs. Edge
Nexus vs. Santino & Kozlov
Orton vs. Barrett w/ Cena ref.

Obviously the main focus of the PPV was on John Cena.
But what I was most impressed about in last couple of PPVs, has been the undercard matches.

I'm not trying to mark Daniel Bryan and Kaval in a biased stand point, but I
have to praise these two and their opponents DiBiase and Ziggler.

These guys have brought some meaning back to US and IC titles. Legitimate
midcard guys with bright future competing with a feud. That's what US title
and IC titles were supposed to be defended, instead of a guy wearing it for
6-7 months and never defending it.

I enjoyed JoMo vs. Sheamus a lot as well. A bit surprised to see a clean victory
for JoMo, but it certainly looks like the guy is finally in line for a big push.

Natalya won and loved to see Beth back, WWE championship ending was a little too

This is how a PPV is supposed to be built.

Great undercard matches, a divas match with something meaningful in it, and 2
major championships. (Did you realize that EVERY championships were defended last night?)

I'm not going to say Survivor Series is a big hit, but it certainly gets a solid
B from my view.
totally agree... honestly it wasnt the best ppv ever, and it wasnt the ppv of the year

but damn THIS IS WHAT A PPV SHOULD BE, none of the matches (other than the tag title and divas title match) felt like they were tv matches, they gave their feuds meaning and also shwoed why they're fighting

·
It All Ends.
1,028 Posts
Honestly, I really enjoyed this PPV for the undercard alone - as you said, the IC and US Title matches were fabulous, as were Morrison/Sheamus and Team Mysterio/Team Del Rio. The Diva's match was also very good. The build to the Orton/Barrett gave it an epic feel, and that was the perfect way to do it. No-one knew what was going to happen, and that was the beauty of it. Everyone was buzzing about it on here, and rightly so. Well played, Creative. All of that was what a PPV should be, especially one of the 'big four.'

Where it stopped being how a PPV is 'supposed to be' is when we get to the idea of tuning into a free RAW the next night to get the real answers. People paid for the show, because that's what a show as big as Survivor Series should do. Answer questions. Give us a pay-off; and the amazing feud and storyline deserved a worthy pay-off. You don't buy a show to see them build up RAW.

Like I said, I was so impressed and happy with the show until that ending, because it was underwhelming and unexciting - for me, personally. That's when it stopped being what a PPV 'should be.'

·
Registered
545 Posts
I really liked the first hour, 3 good matches. I missed the SS match and only came back for the end of the Divas title( will DL the SS match today, still don't know which team won)

The ending of the Orton/Barret match did suck. Unless Cena is gone for at least 6 months I will feel screwed.

Overall 8.5/10 Solid PPV

·
Registered
87 Posts
I thought it was a solid ppv and agree that it was well structured. Although there wasn't any great matches, there was several good ones(Bryan/Dibiase,Morrison/Sheamus, Elimination match). I also liked how they gave the midcard some love for once.

My problem with it was neither main event, Orton/Barrett especially, was really special. It seemed more like a raw main event than a ppv main event.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
As far as "what a PPV is supposed to be," here's a perfect example:

SummerSlam 2009 - An exciting opener, good midcard matches, a couple of co-main events (Cena/Orton, DX/Legacy), and an unpredictable, exciting main event (Punk/Hardy).

A PPV should be a rich experience, with a hot opener, a sampling of the best elements of the roster, and a good main event.

Survivor Series was very enjoyable, but I think it's because so many ppvs have sucked this year that we don't know any better (Elimination Chamber, Extreme Rules, Over the Limit, Fatal Four-Way, SummerSlam).

Survivor Series was not such a rich sampling.

-Bryan/DiBiase was made at the last minute, and the winner was obvious.
-Morrison/Sheamus, while a good match, made me feel bad for Sheamus.
-Ziggler/Kaval was made the SD before, after they had a match, and was kind of awkward.
-Team Rey/Team Del Rio had zero build.
-The divas title match was 3 minutes long.
-Edge/Kane was dull and had a bad ending.
-Orton/Barrett was boring, and the entire match revolved around what the ref would do.

To me, this reminded me a lot of a TNA ppv: matches made at the last minute, with a lot of great work-rate, but little to get behind emotionally, and two fairly stupid endings to the main events.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only part they could've done better besides the ending of main event,
is a more structured build-up for the undercard.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I give Survivor Series a 9/10.

The only match I found "un-entertaining" was Edge/Kane. Very bland, uninteresting, and had minimal high points IMO. However, every other match was great, with Kaval/Ziggler taking the MOTN, and probably top 10 match of the year thus far.

Best PPV in 2010 besides WM26.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I don't know that the build to SS was done right but in terms of overall quality of the PPV I'd say it was very good. Edge/Kane was terrible and had a stupid finish that could have just as easily ended in a DQ to accomplish the same thing but I can't really argue about anything else other than Del Rio's team losing although it made sense from a recent booking standpoint. There were 3 excellent undercard matches, Orton/Barrett was great storytelling, and the landscape of the company is changed for the time being. Some people have expectations that are unbelievably realistic in regard to how things should play out.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I thought the PPV was great, and had the amount of matches it shoudl have had. It had three quality undercard matches all coming in qucik succession, a great traditional survivor series match, a women's match with an actual point and a great storyline driven finale. All I fault is Edge/Kane.

If they decided upon having some of the undercard matches (Dibiase/Bryan and Ziggler/Kaval) a couple of weeks before the PPV, and actually gave the matches some build it could have been even better. I think that's the key, they can had two great ring workers go out and give performance after performance but without a storyline it doesn't mean as much and the interest isn't as high.

Still though, with build, PPVs liket his will always be great and even better that this one.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
the first half of a PPV is how the first half of a PPV should be. they really couldn't have done it much better.

but the second half was massively flawed, and that's NOT how a PPV should be.

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts
overall structure was poor, should have spread the good matches over the PPV. i mean it wasn't hard to figure out which matches would be the better. would have made the PPV seem better.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
To add to your comment on the midcard guys, as one guy said last night in the SS thread, the 2011 midcard is looking to shape up pretty damn good. It'll be like 2002-2004 all over again.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
It kicked off pretty nicely but the second half of it lowered its quality a bit.

Edge vs. Kane was kinda meh and the ending was bad, couldn't they just have eneded in a DQ or something like that?

The Tag Team match was terrible, why was it so late into the show? I was seriously expecting something to happen.

And the nof course, Barrett vs. Orton. Not only the match was mediocre for PPV main event standards but it had a bad finish. I mean, even if they weren't goign to turn Cena heel they could've at least come up with something morebold and creative.

·
Feed Me More
634 Posts
I enjoyed JoMo vs. Sheamus a lot as well. A bit surprised to see a clean victory for JoMo, but it certainly looks like the guy is finally in line for a big push.

WWE always do that with Jomo. Remember when he beat CM Punk twice and his match against Jeff Hardy for the tile and everyone thought he was getting a mega push, and then suddenly he was back as a mid card? Don't count your chickens is all I'm saying.

As for the clean victory. I'm not surpised at all. JoMo beating Sheamus was an obvious message to the kids; stand up to your bullies. JoMO had to win to show the kids that they can overcome their bullies.

I skipped through Edge vs Kane. Was never looking forward to it in the first place to be honest. Smackdown in a nutshell is very dull. It's a shame because they have the stars to produce great storylines.

Natalya with Beth was an epic moment. Congrats Natalya. Finally, a divas champion I can be proud of.

I don't know what's to become of Cena. I'll just have to wait and see.

·
Ho!
17,500 Posts
Kaval vs. Dolph Ziggler for IC Championship- A great start to a ppv, but then what else did you expect from a Daniel Bryan match?

Team Mysterio vs. Team Del Rio- I actually found this match pretty boring, and while it was decent, there have been much better eliination tag matches this year.

Natalya vs. LayCool + Return of the Glamazon- Bleh

Kane vs. Edge- This was a solid match, albeit boring but solid non the less. Wish Edge had captured the title, but instead WWE went with a pretty stupid ending. Whatever, did love the aftermatch though.

Nexus vs. Santino & Kozlov- meh

Orton vs. Barrett w/ Cena ref.- Boring, tbh a poor main event match. Hell, just an overall very bland main event. The whole Cena stuff was the only thing that was interesting but even I think they didn't play it up as much as they could. Disappointing match, but I guess it goes to show Barrett and Orton just don't mesh well in the ring. Individually they are both solid, but together... well hopefully never again (or at least for a long while).

As others have said, the first half of the PPV was much better than the second half.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Everything was great until two shitty, boring and anti-climatic main events. Mid card is great in WWE.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts