Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So Smackdown is currently on at the moment, and although I don't want to give away any spoilers (as I know it's not aired in the US yet) I wanted to talk about this Intercontinental Championship tournament that's been taking place as well as Big E's current reign.

Honestly, I think it's nice Big E has had a title run as it's elevated his character a little in the WWE also now that he has a reign under his belt but I feel that it's not really establishing the IC belt the way that we would like to, which is why I feel it needs a change.

The tournament so far has left : (Edited as of 21st/22nd April 2014)

Rob Van Dam Vs Bad News Barrett
(Final)

Honestly, if was to choose out of preference who I'd like to see hold the title, I would say Barrett but I feel the best choice right now would be Cesaro to win this, he has been on such a solid run right now and been booked really strongly that it would make absolute the most perfect sense to have Cesaro hold this title, I think this would not only elevate Cesaro's character even more so as a major player but I think he'll bring credibility to it also, for him to lose the IC title later down the line would be a big deal to whoever took the belt from him, more so than it would for whoever takes the title from Big E, they really need to capitilise on this momentum Cesaro has right now and having Heyman at his side and the IC title in Heyman's clique, I think would be a pretty good thing, as much as I like Curtis Axel, I think Cesaro holding the title would be booked much better and as a more stronger threat, which is what the IC title needs to start moving forward now that the belts are unified.

Sheamus really doesn't need it, Barrett I feels deserves it but the timing at the moment easily says Cesaro, and Van Dam well, I dunno, he could hold it and give it some relevance but I don't feel it's needed for him either, the best choice would easily be Cesaro.

It's worth noting Del Rio's booking lately also, he was knocked out during the first round here.​

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I want it to be cesaro winning the title, it would be even better if rvd won the title and have fued with cesaro(something like former ph guy vs current) and culminating in a ladder match at ss with cesaro's win.

Btw I like this tournament thing, it gets the fans attention on the ic title and brings back some good memories.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well Big E is technically a good guy so it has to be a bad guy. Barret or cesaro...

Cesaro is my choice based on the push he's getting

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
My guess is the finals boils down to Cesaro vs Sheamus with Cesaro winning, although I would've liked to have seen Cesaro vs Swagger in the finals. I'm kind of mixed on Cesaro getting the IC title... he almost seems above it, he already gets reaction, usually these titles do more harm then good.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I definitely feel Cesaro will be the strongest threat, which is what the title needs to start off with, we need a strong talent along the lines of Cesaro or Daniel Bryan or something like that, someone who's going to mean something if the title is beaten, that they're going to be a threat and seen as someone who is hard to get the title from, with Bryan being in the main picture right now, Cesaro is the best choice I think based on his booking and the support he has from behind him, being a Heyman guy too also add's highly to the bonus.

I do also want to see Barrett win the title too, so if he was to win the tournament I would be pleased with this, it's just that Cesaro would actually make more sense if I'm honest.

If Barrett was the win the tournament though, I think the chances of Big E retaining would be higher, where as with Cesaro I think we'd be more unsure in regards to who would win the match.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess is the finals boils down to Cesaro vs Sheamus with Cesaro winning, although I would've liked to have seen Cesaro vs Swagger in the finals. I'm kind of mixed on Cesaro getting the IC title... he almost seems above it, he already gets reaction, usually these titles do more harm then good.
I think Cesaro's in a nice place for it, I know how come people feel in regards to the IC title's relevance (understandable due to recent years) but it is still the most prestige title in the company now after the main title, which now it's unified is growing back to what it once was, that step up title before the main title picture, which I think Cesaro is incredibly capable of, him having the IC title would not only bring back this relevance a little more, it would certify Cesaro's way to the top a bit more, which is what he needs and would be great for, it pretty much works favourable for both Cesaro and the IC title itself.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I think Cesaro's in a nice place for it, I know how come people feel in regards to the IC title's relevance (understandable due to recent years) but it is still the most prestige title in the company now after the main title, which now it's unified is growing back to what it once was, that step up title before the main title picture, which I think Cesaro is incredibly capable of, him having the IC title would not only bring back this relevance a little more, it would certify Cesaro's way to the top a bit more, which is what he needs and would be great for, it pretty much works favourable for both Cesaro and the IC title itself.
Yah, I do agree that it still has some prestiege, I do think this could end up just leading to the same Miz/Kofi Kingston feuds he had with the US title. As long as we see him mix it up and feud with upper tier opponents, I think it could be good though, I'm curious to see how it plays out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd like to see Swagger cost Cesaro the final match against Barrett. Swagger/Cesaro and Barret/Big E at Extreme Rules then. Definitely not Seamus though. I'd be happy with any of the other three. But not Seamus. I

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, Sheamus doesn't seem to need it and I don't see where Sheamus can go to be honest, I think the guy needs to be repackaged which I thought was possibly going to happen when he was out for a while and people were seeing him without the beard and what not.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Yeah, Sheamus doesn't seem to need it and I don't see where Sheamus can go to be honest, I think the guy needs to be repackaged which I thought was possibly going to happen when he was out for a while and people were seeing him without the beard and what not.
Part of me wouldn't be surprised if they just keep Sheamus in that Sin Cara type of role, where he just squashes mid carders and from time to time feuds with upper mid carders and beats them, but he's kept away from any big storyline and the titles. From what I've heard he's actually in the top 5 for merch sellers (or possibly top 10)... I think it boils down to, his character is stale, but I don't think anything big would come from a heel turn, the biggest thing would be him getting fed to Cena or Daniel Bryan. It's a weird situation with Sheamus lol... the guy IMO is actually really good in the ring, but it just seems like people are indifferent to him.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I completely agree with this. I'm not sure what Sheamus' thing is meant to be at the minute other than being a stereotypical Irish guy that says "fella" all the time. I don't know what they could repackage him as but i think he certainly needs something. I just can't take an enormous pale, ginger that looks like he can't go outside with a baseball cap and sunglasses seriously.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sheamus would bring credibility to the title, he is booked as strong as hulk hogan was and is a former champion.
Right now he wouldn't, his character is completely bland at the moment with little interest on a whole, I like Sheamus but he seems stuck in a rut at the moment.

He is booked nothing like how Hulk Hogan was, Hogan was John Cena back in the day, won everything, on the cover of everything, always holding the title, in fact seemed to have the title much more than John Cena did, during his run I don't really remember him not holding the title the majority of the time.

I completely agree with this. I'm not sure what Sheamus' thing is meant to be at the minute other than being a stereotypical Irish guy that says "fella" all the time. I don't know what they could repackage him as but i think he certainly needs something. I just can't take an enormous pale, ginger that looks like he can't go outside with a baseball cap and sunglasses seriously.
Yeah, he could just have a complete new look and gimmick and come back with aggression, I have no doubts Sheamus could pull this off, he works well in the ring and he can bring that aggression, just right now he just seems 'there' so to speak, even when he came back from his time off apart from the initial pop, it doesn't seem to have made any difference, it's as though he was never gone really which isn't a good sign really as he there was no excitement or character investment on his return.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, he could just have a complete new look and gimmick and come back with aggression, I have no doubts Sheamus could pull this off, he works well in the ring and he can bring that aggression, just right now he just seems 'there' so to speak, even when he came back from his time off apart from the initial pop, it doesn't seem to have made any difference, it's as though he was never gone really which isn't a good sign really as he there was no excitement or character investment on his return.
Yeah, i know exactly where you're coming from. He came back, looked fairly strong in the Rumble, making the final 4, then was kind of just one of the "other guys" in the EC. Since then he's kinda just been on TV not really doing anything. Like he's just there for the sake of being there. I think some sort of aggressive heel type gimmick would really help him out...maybe a spray tan wouldn't hurt either. But i have no issue with his ring work. Just he is completely stale. I don't think the whole Christian feud helped. But maybe something like the sadistic aggressor that Austin had during the Power Trip type thing. He has the tools, he just needs something other than the tedious stereotyped gimmick that he has now.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It feels like this thread exists just to hurt my feelings :( Though I suppose if anyone should take the strap off Big E it should be Cesaro at least he's credible and not a smiling ginger douche or an old pothead

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It feels like this thread exists just to hurt my feelings :( Though I suppose if anyone should take the strap off Big E it should be Cesaro at least he's credible and not a smiling ginger douche or an old pothead
Aah no man :), Big E just needs that major involvement in something I think, he could be a big player like the way Diesel was in the WWE that they could involve him in more things along these lines.

I think Cesaro would be the start of bringing back some great credibility to the title simply due to how strong he looks now and the way that he is booked, it will come across as a much bigger achievement for someone to take the title from Cesaro than it probably would anyone else in the company right now (give and take Daniel Bryan but he's elevated in the bigger picture now).

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
If Barrett (or anyone else) is your preference then it's ok to agree they're the best choice. You're a consumer. Market's gonna do better if you think in your own best interests. Off topic a bit, but I wanted to say that. Kind of annoys me when fans think in the best interest of the "majority". Do you boo.

I would like to see RVD win.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If Barrett (or anyone else) is your preference then it's ok to agree they're the best choice. You're a consumer. Market's gonna do better if you think in your own best interests. Off topic a bit, but I wanted to say that. Kind of annoys me when fans think in the best interest of the "majority". Do you boo.

I would like to see RVD win.
I understand what you're saying (and I appreciate your kind words there), but I just feel as though I'd like to see Barrett get this personally (I feel he deserves it, I'm loving his new gimmick, I think he's been solid in the ring in the past and he recently put on one hell of a match with Ziggler, alongside how it was an unfortunate injury that stopped him obtaining the MITB briefcase which Ziggler replaced (Though a great choice!!!) ... however I'm not sure if Barrett would bring as much to the IC belt (at the moment) as much as Cesaro would with his strong booking and impressive work lately he's given, I think he is probably the strongest mid carder that could solidify the IC title a little more, does that make sense? :)

I'll rep ya for that post if I can anyway (as I think I recently repped you on something so it might not let me yet) .. but yeah, that's my thoughts anyway :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
What if Big E retains?

Imagine Big E faces Cesaro. Swagger interferes and Cesaro wins by DQ, but Big E retains the belt. And then Zeb announces that Big E is the newest member of the RA?

You'd kinda legitimize the RA by putting a champion in the stable. And you leverage Zeb to help get Big E over. I'm not the biggest fan of Zeb in front of the camera, but I know he's one of the best minds in the biz and could help Big E along who has some real talent.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts