Wrestling Forum banner

This Generation Shift hurts my wresting-soul

3925 Views 41 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  jimboystar24
This Generation Shift hurts my wresting-soul.

We saw Nature Boy retire.
We saw HBK retire.

Either Taker or HHH will retire after Wrestlemania, and the other will retire not too late after.

Ppl say Edge will soon retire.

Kane (Not that it matters) will most likely retire soon, too.

And we also have the Bigshow.

------

Srsly, every "BIG ICON" is leaving in a very small period of time,
and it really hurts my wrestling-soul.

I feel the next generation's superstars aren't ready to take over so 'suddenly'.

Luckily, Randy will stick with us for a couple more years.
Sheamus and CM Punk, too.
Christian also has my trust.
(And Cena, but who cares.)

I somewhat have trust in Swagger, too.

I'd be happy if you could remind me of other big icons
that will stick with us for a little longer.

I had a small wwe-break some time ago,
so I have no idea where the hell Y2J is... Anyone?
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
5,747 Posts
No. As scsa said. Wrestling is a harsh mistress and it is a machine. It uses up cogs, then trades them out. This is not sad.

· Banned
4,543 Posts
This Generation Shift hurts my wresting-soul.

We saw Nature Boy retire.
We saw HBK retire.

Either Taker or HHH will retire after Wrestlemania, and the other will retire not too late after.

Ppl say Edge will soon retire.

Kane (Not that it matters) will most likely retire soon, too.

And we also have the Bigshow.

------

Srsly, every "BIG ICON" is leaving in a very small period of time,
and it really hurts my wrestling-soul.

I feel the next generation's superstars aren't ready to take over so 'suddenly'.

Luckily, Randy will stick with us for a couple more years.
CM Punk, too.
Christian has my trust, too.
(And Cena, but who cares.)

I'd be happy if you could remind me of other big icons
that will stick with us for a little longer.

I had a small wwe-break some time ago,
so I have no idea where the hell Y2J is... Anyone?
Jericho is on hiatus. Storyline wise he got kicked in the head by Orton. Reality, he went on tour with his band, promoted his new book, and is going on Dancing with the Stars. He'll most likely be back at some point.

· Registered
10,981 Posts
Wrestlers just don't have that larger than life feel to them anymore. John Cena and Batista and to an extent Randy Orton were the last to have that Iconic feel to them.

This generation really blows. The Miz is WWE champion yet why does he look like Zack Ryder's long lost brother? Why does the WWE champion resemble a jobber?

Also these retarded names they give wrestlers these days just doesn't help. Mason Ryan? Brodus Clay? Daniel Bryan?

They just don't live up to Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, Triple H, Ric Flair, The Rock, Stone Cold, heck even Batista.

The whole product is generic. The settings backstage feel bland (E.g. interview area) the entrance stage, the wrestlers look like carbon copies of another, there's no originality, no gimmicks, entrance theme sucks. The lost goes on. The product is just overall lackluster.

Brace yourselves cause the next 5 years or so, the WWE is gonna face this massive drought in terms of talent. There is no one in the WWE atm that can fill the boots of legends past. And it's not because these legends were legends from day one. Austin went from 1/2 Hollywood Blonde to the guy that reinvented wrestling in the 90s, Rock went from a half-assed babyface to one of the greatest entertainers, The Undertaker went fro, Mean Mark Calloway (or whatever it was) to an Icon, Triple H went from some pompous rich idiot to a force to be reckoned with.

There is a lack of creativity these days and not just in wrestling. You see it in music, TV etc. The younger children these days have taken everything for granted. They taken the foundation the generation before them lay out and did nothing with it. No one wants to stand out, no one wants to be different. Whatever formula worked for one guy the others try to imitate it.

Vince needs to stop hiring these idiots and hire people who have some sort of creativity within them. Screw all those ridiculous qualifications. Education is just a piece of paper! Who cares if that idiot Brian Gerwitz has his master in creative writing, cause quite frankly if he has one they just hand out those things like crazy these days, don't they? You don't have to go to school to be creative. You can't teach creativity.

Wrestling needs to be innovative and creative once again.

EDIT: One more thing. Ring Psychology has become a lost art it seems. It makes me wonder if they even teach these things down in Florida.

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wrestlers just don't have that larger than life feel to them anymore. John Cena and Batista and to an extent Randy Orton were the last to have that Iconic feel to them.

This generation really blows. The Miz is WWE champion yet why does he look like Zack Ryder's long lost brother? Why does the WWE champion resemble a jobber?

Also these retarded names they give wrestlers these days just doesn't help. Mason Ryan? Brodus Clay? Daniel Bryan?

They just don't live up to Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, Triple H, Ric Flair, The Rock, Stone Cold, heck even Batista.

The whole product is generic. The settings backstage feel bland (E.g. interview area) the entrance stage, the wrestlers look like carbon copies of another, there's no originality, no gimmicks, entrance theme sucks. The lost goes on. The product is just overall lackluster.

Brace yourselves cause the next 5 years or so, the WWE is gonna face this massive drought in terms of talent. There is no one in the WWE atm that can fill the boots of legends past. And it's not because these legends were legends from day one. Austin went from 1/2 Hollywood Blonde to the guy that reinvented wrestling in the 90s, Rock went from a half-assed babyface to one of the greatest entertainers, The Undertaker went fro, Mean Mark Calloway (or whatever it was) to an Icon, Triple H went from some pompous rich idiot to a force to be reckoned with.

There is a lack of creativity these days and not just in wrestling. You see it in music, TV etc. The younger children these days have taken everything for granted. They taken the foundation the generation before them lay out and did nothing with it. No one wants to stand out, no one wants to be different. Whatever formula worked for one guy the others try to imitate it.

Vince needs to stop hiring these idiots and hire people who have some sort of creativity within them. Screw all those ridiculous qualifications. Education is just a piece of paper! Who cares if that idiot Brian Gerwitz has his master in creative writing, cause quite frankly if he has one they just hand out those things like crazy these days, don't they? You don't have to go to school to be creative. You can't teach creativity.

EDIT: One more thing. Ring Psychology has become a lost art it seems. It makes me wonder if they even teach these things down in Florida.
I agree with most of this.

· Registered
2,515 Posts
Because he isnt roided up like every superstar from the 80s and 90s.

I think this is something that a lot of people (including us internest smarks who think we know better) need to get use to. Guys arent going to have that big muscular look like the older main eventers had. The chances of wrestlers getting that kind of body without taking steroids like most use to, is very unlikely. It CAN be done, but you have to have the right body type for it and you just need to train like hell.

Wrestlers are going to be significantly smaller than the older guys were. After a few years our perception of what a main eventer looks like will change.

· Registered
10,981 Posts
Because he isnt roided up like every superstar from the 80s and 90s.

I think this is something that a lot of people (including us internest smarks who think we know better) need to get use to. Guys arent going to have that big muscular look like the older main eventers had. The chances of wrestlers getting that kind of body without taking steroids like most use to, is very unlikely. It CAN be done, but you have to have the right body type for it and you just need to train like hell.

Wrestlers are going to be significantly smaller than the older guys were. After a few years our perception of what a main eventer looks like will change.

You don't have to have a big body to be a main eventer. Look at Edge he doens't have a big body yet he had presence. Likewise Jericho.

It's all about presence and having that larger than life feeling. That person you look up to cause they're not like your cousin Jimmy or uncle Sam, they're out of this world. Not because of their body but the manner in which they carry about themselves and a lot of this attributed to gimmick and a lot of people don't understand the vital role an entrance song plays. Look at the size of Triple H could you picture him coming out to DB theme song? In this scenario the big body doesn't= larger than life look.

Take a guy like Randy Orton. Doesn't have a big body but his entrance music along with the flashing gold lights play a huge part in giving him that Larger Than Life look. Also his walk to the ring, when he goes on the turnbuckle.

A lot of people (maybe it's the pure wrestling fan in most of us0 overlook the entertainment side of wrestling because we want no part of it. We're more interested in the sport side of it. But the two go hand in hand. The entertainment aspect is what gets the wrestler over and then you see their performance in the ring.

· The One Who Knocks
5,703 Posts
Tide goes in, tide goes out. People grow old. Things change. So goes life.

Learn to accept inevitability and you'll be far less depressed.

Of course, it'd be a lot easier if most of the new talent didn't totally suck.

· Registered
2,515 Posts
You don't have to have a big body to be a main eventer. Look at Edge he doens't have a big body yet he had presence. Likewise Jericho.

It's all about presence and having that larger than life feeling. That person you look up to cause they're not like your cousin Jimmy or uncle Sam, they're out of this world. Not because of their body but the manner in which they carry about themselves and a lot of this attributed to gimmick and a lot of people don't understand the vital role an entrance song plays. Look at the size of Triple H could you picture him coming out to DB theme song? In this scenario the big body doesn't= larger than life look.

Take a guy like Randy Orton. Doesn't have a big body but his entrance music along with the flashing gold lights play a huge part in giving him that Larger Than Life look. Also his walk to the ring, when he goes on the turnbuckle.

A lot of people (maybe it's the pure wrestling fan in most of us0 overlook the entertainment side of wrestling because we want no part of it. We're more interested in the sport side of it. But the two go hand in hand. The entertainment aspect is what gets the wrestler over and then you see their performance in the ring.
That's what I was saying though. We all know that Vince loves to push guys with big bodies (as gay as that sounds). But since guys are less likely to be that size, a size that we are use to seeing at the main event level, people need to adjust what they see as a main eventer.

· Registered
534 Posts
Triple H was spot on last week. They are part of an old generation and a dying order
Sounds like a line from Metal Gear Solid.

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, I forgot Sheamus.
He's definitely Main Event Material, and I'm glad he'll stick with us.

· Registered
10,981 Posts
That's what I was saying though. We all know that Vince loves to push guys with big bodies (as gay as that sounds). But since guys are less likely to be that size, a size that we are use to seeing at the main event level, people need to adjust what they see as a main eventer.
Ok I know what you were saying, what I was trying to say is that because we're not gonna get roided up freaks that means we shouldn't accept mediocrity!

I think for the most part we're fine with accepting guys like Miz's size as champion. But the lack of creativity and innovation just doesn't give them that larger than life feel. And as I already stated you don't need a big body to have a larger than life presence. Example Jericho and Edge. Even Shawn Michaels.

· Old School
5,184 Posts
The talent isn't that bad.

ADR, Christian, Punk, Orton, Cena, Kofi, Swagger, Barret, Miz, Bryan, Ziggler, Morrison, DiBiase, Rhodes, and Ryder are all good talent.

Thing is that WWE doesn't use their veteran talent to put over the next generation. On top of that they don't push half these guys to where they need to be.

Edgier story lines help as well. As Jericho said, it's easier to get over when you throw a few curse words around. Look at Austin, Rocky, and others. Not saying they didn't have talent, but would they get over if they started in a PG kid friendly environment without the beer drinking, hell raising, pie eating, etc? lolz @ pie eating

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The talent isn't that bad.

ADR, Christian, Punk, Orton, Cena, Kofi, Swagger, Barret, Miz, Bryan, Ziggler, Morrison, DiBiase, Rhodes, and Ryder are all good talent.
Cena has no in-ring talent.

14,626 Posts

I haven't seen anyone put it any better on this forum. I am not gonna give up hope completely as Orton,Cena,Punk,ADR should all be with us for at least 10 years, but I really worry about the rest of the talent. I think Morrison and Alex Riley will come through as well, but people like the Miz should never be world champion.

· Banned
2,204 Posts
Tide goes in, tide goes out. People grow old. Things change. So goes life.

Learn to accept inevitability and you'll be far less depressed.

Of course, it'd be a lot easier if most of the new talent didn't totally suck.
The change isnt always for the better? you're telling me we've benn in this generation shifting groove since 2006 but the last one hasnt fully validated itself yet and might never be able to

· Registered
9,456 Posts
There will be a time, years from now, when a similar thread will be started about John Cena retiring, or Randy Orton retiring, or Sheamus, or John Morrison, or The Miz. For me, my wrestling heroes retired a while ago; I grew up with guys like Randy Savage, Jake Roberts, Razor Ramon, Mr. Perfect, Bobby Heenan etc. I felt the same pang of sadness when they retired. The landscape changed, and will continue to change; after my heroes left, Steve Austin, Mick Foley and The Rock took centre stage and ushered in a new era of wrestling. There will be icons again in the future - a new batch of wrestlers for a new generation of fans. It's not just the nature of the business, it's a fact of life.

There are wrestlers still being developed who will fill the role of "iconic", don't worry. WWE is doing a good job at pushing younger talent - more than ever WWE is trying to promote it's fresher, newer talent; look who won the Royal Rumble. I'm not saying that ADR is "Iconic" but it shows that WWE is striving to elevate newer performers.

How are these names worse than Max Moon, Bastion Booger, Bam Bam Bigelow, Bezerker, Duke The Dumpster, Man Mountain Rock, Henry O Godwin etc. WWE has a long history of crappy wrestling names. It's nothing new. At least they aren't using the bullshit cartoon gimmicks like Duke The Dumpster anymore.

Most of the guys you mention have left behind a Hell of a legacy. The fact is, the kids watching today will probably remember John Cena and Randy Orton the same way. It's all perspective. I will admit that as a wrestling fan I was privilaged enough to grow up at a time when these guys were still active. However, I think you should give the newer, younger talent a chance. Don't write them off just yet. It takes a long time for talent to develop into something as successful as the icons you mentioned. It doesn't happen over night.

This is just perspective. A lot of people really love the new product for what it is. The mistake that everybody makes is comparing it to their favourite era; you have to realise that the product is different now, aimed at a different audience. Of course it seems tame compared to the Attitude era; that isn't an accident. It's aimed at a younger audience now so of course you're going to find it a little underwhelming. Like the last Indiana Jones film.

I disagree. I think there is a lot of talent coming through the ranks that have a great deal of potential. The future looks good, in my opinion.

Stay positive!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.