Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh i thought John Cena's were bad, Triple H was partially responsable too, but then came the Lesnar title matches, the Goldberg title matches, the Reigns title matches, the Rollins title matches, and now this, this is a new low for them, not one, but two WRESTLEMANIA WORLD TITLE MATCHES with no coherent thought put into them, they should be ashamed of themselves, this is braindead entertainment i'm sorry, who pays to see this mundaine shit.

·
The Babyface of WF
11,713 Posts
I get how Goldberg is a double edged sword in which he's designed to destroy opponents in short order and can't afford to work a normal length main event match but Brock is a competitive beast, You're meant to struggle against someone of his Calibre and pull out all stops before you beat him not spam Finishers until he can't kick out.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I get how Goldberg is a double edged sword in which he's designed to destroy opponents in short order and can't afford to work a normal length main event match but Brock is a competitive beast, You're meant to struggle against someone of his Calibre and pull out all stops before you beat him not spam Finishers until he can't kick out.
I mean, technically if you're going to approach "wrestling" as if it was real, why WOULDN'T you go for the Claymore instantly and over and over until you win? Why does Roman Reigns ever do anything other than Spear people? The answer is obviously because that's boring and wouldn't be much fun for fans to watch... And, well... Here we are.

·
Premium Member
12,461 Posts
It’s seriously the most ridiculous shit.
I mean Lesnar only knows a handful of moves. I think he needs to be put in multi man matches to protect him.
Same with Goldberg.

hopefully we get some proper matches now that both are not world champions.

·
The Babyface of WF
11,713 Posts
I mean, technically if you're going to approach "wrestling" as if it was real, why WOULDN'T you go for the Claymore instantly and over and over until you win? Why does Roman Reigns ever do anything other than Spear people? The answer is obviously because that's boring and wouldn't be much fun for fans to watch... And, well... Here we are.
True since it's logical for Drew to attempt to put him down as soon as possible without fail but Brock being Brock he's supposed to be the unstoppable Force that can telegraph what's thrown at him which lends to his ability to be the true measuring stick in the company, The idea is few or less can beat him at least that's the impression they try to give us.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Even in a realistic setting, falling your opponent’s ‘finisher’ as soon as the match starts is stupid.
Having two title matches where both were pretty much identical, ok.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I hate what has become of wrestling. Main event matches starting with a finishing maneuver, main event matches that consist of nothing but finishing maneuvers, main event matches transparently built around several spot monkey moves that require way too much cooperation between two people who supposedly hate each other.

It's predictably awful.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Even in a realistic setting, falling your opponent’s ‘finisher’ as soon as the match starts is stupid.
Having two title matches where both were pretty much identical, ok.
Not for a finisher you can hit out of nowhere on a standing opponent that doesn't require their cooperation. In the UFC you could call the double leg Brocks "finisher" and he hit that thing as soon as he could get away with it without getting knocked the fuck out. Conor McGregors finisher is his counter punch with that lethal left hand, he killed Aldo dead with it in 7 or 8 seconds. Jorge Mazvidal won his Askerin fight in 3 seconds with a flying knee to the skull. Realistic settings for fights don't get much more real than those examples.

The problem is in MMA or Boxing if you see people get crazy sexy fast KO's, it's usually after you've spent an entire night watching long very technical fights, so the surprise KO pops you huge, because it's unexpected and awesome and exciting. We see a Brock or a Goldberg match now? We've all seen the match in our head before it happens. Defeats the purpose.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,453 Posts
I agree completely but we reached the point of no return 5 or 6 years ago. It would be bizarre for a match to end with one finish now. It would take years (talking a decade) for fans to become "de-desensitized" to finishers in the same way it is only now blood actually means something.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not for a finisher you can hit out of nowhere on a standing opponent that doesn't require their cooperation. In the UFC you could call the double leg Brocks "finisher" and he hit that thing as soon as he could get away with it without getting knocked the fuck out. Conor McGregors finisher is his counter punch with that lethal left hand, he killed Aldo dead with it in 7 or 8 seconds. Jorge Mazvidal won his Askerin fight in 3 seconds with a flying knee to the skull. Realistic settings for fights don't get much more real than those examples.
I think MMA is awful, I don’t watch it , if this really happens it sounds worse than I believe it to be, but whatever.

In your scenario Brock beating Kofi works, albeit stupidly.

These do? I do 4 moves, you do 4 moves

·
Registered
996 Posts
It's awful.
But the main event scene has been absolutely awful for years now.
I don't understand how WWE can consistently put on great wrestling in undercard matches and then completely fail in the main event. Isn't that ass-backwards?

I can't recall a time in the past few years where the main event was the STAR of the show. It almost always leaves me feeling with "that's it? I liked the undercard better".

These two heaveyweight matches at WM where the climax, the extreme of it all. They were horrible.

·
#StayClassyWF
1,080 Posts
The first example of going for finishers far too early was in the WM25 main event. Orton and HHH hit the RKO and Pedigree within the first two minutes which was meant to set up this whole ‘OMG that’s how much they hate each other; they don’t care about fighting, just putting each other down’ idea but it fell flat that night and honestly think it is a really really hit and miss tactic that is more miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,241 Posts
One of my biggest problems with wrestling today is the fact finishers gets spammed. I hate it. Finisher kick-outs should be rare and special, there's a reason people still talk about HBK kicking out of the tombstone at WM 25.

Wrestlers used to be able to finish wrestlers off with signature moves, Undertaker has always been able to beat people with Last Ride or Chokeslam for example.

Besides that, Lesnar doesn't care to work and Goldberg can't. Let them shit on the main event scene.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It’s seriously the most ridiculous shit.
I mean Lesnar only knows a handful of moves. I think he needs to be put in multi man matches to protect him.
Same with Goldberg.

hopefully we get some proper matches now that both are not world champions.
Watch Lesnar and his first run in WWE.

He utilised two-to-three times the variation of moves that he uses now. This kind of Lesnar revisionism simply won't do. Lesnar had moves like the triple-consecutive backbreaker, choke-lift up into three consecutive powerbombs, snap suplex, fallaway slam, running shoulderbreaker, running powerslam, a bunch of suplex variations (front and back), and so the list goes on-and-on.

It always amazes me how much people forget how different he was prior to his return to the WWE.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts