Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear me out.

I know NXT, by and large, has been stupid and has done nothing to advance the state of the womens division in the WWE as a whole. The matches, at best, have been subpar and we already know whose gonna win it most likely. Truly, It does at times seem to be a waste.

But, with all that said, does it make ANY sense for show to be bashed by the company itself? I mean, it might be amusing to some people to hear Michale Cole bash the show, and it might be funny to watch as CM Punk comes on and makes a mockery of the whole thing, and it might even be funny to read on Joey Style's twitter about who gets eliminated before it even airs....but does it make any sense?

I mean, for better or worse it is STILL a WWE product. They're still devoting time and resources to the show. They still spend money on the damn thing, so why shit on it? It's one thing for the IWC to make fun of it...it's another thing completely for the company to do it. I don't know, it just seems really dumb on their part, and kind of insulting tbh. I mean, if I were any of those women I'd be pretty pissed that seemingly every week I'm being mocked.

I just don't see the point in them to doing it like this. Lord knows there have been far dumber and "sucktastic" things done in the WWE that they treated with the utmost seriousness (im sure we could all think of a few), so why can't they do the same for NXT? Why don't they treat it as something legit? Who knows, maybe if they had it would've turned out better.

...thoughts?

Reactions: The_Jiz

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I watched it this week for the first time since it got moved off tele and I have to say the whole thing has become a joke. From the result being given away by styles prior to it airing, stryker having a "phone" conversation with cole and matthews (he can hear them but the audience can only hear him) to cole holding up his "stop the pain" sign and "where is JR" by matthews....its as if nobody takes it seriously at all the they just go out and do as they please.
I like it but its not how a show should be done.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I m saying, why do that they shit on their own product? Whats the point of even having the show if your just gonna demean the whole thing.

I know it was a long shot, but I was hoping that they would use this season of NXT to actually do something positive for the Womens Division. Build up some talent and let them wrestle. Instead, they're using it to bash it into the ground even further.

The only thing I hope for is that on the finale show is that those girls get to beat the crap (kayfabe wise) out of Michael Cole for all the shit he's been talking. Give them some form of redemption. Seriously, no matter what you think of the show those girls don't deserve to be mocked every week just for doing the job they're told to do. I mean, lets not forget, that show is scripted. They're doing what they're told. It only sucks cuz The WWE doesn't care about it...

·
Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,024 Posts
When the 0.01% of your mass audience that tunes into the show treats it as a joke, and it's not even on TV in your main market, it's pretty safe to just go along with the joke. Whoever wins and moves to the main roster will be a complete unknown to 99.99% of viewers anyway. And you're keeping that 0.01% around because it's hilarious car-crash television.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
The more I hear about NXT3 the happier I am that I chose to boycott the show from the very beginning. Based on FCW work the only one I had any interest in was AJ Lee and I knew that the crap they'd done on season 1 & 2 would only make me less interested in her.

·
7,024 Posts
The more I hear about NXT3 the happier I am that I chose to boycott the show from the very beginning. Based on FCW work the only one I had any interest in was AJ Lee and I knew that the crap they'd done on season 1 & 2 would only make me less interested in her.
I think you and I generally seem to have pretty similar outlooks on the product, and I gotta say, you should at least try the episode with Punk on commentary. It's not in the least bit interesting from an in-ring perspective, but it's some of the most entertaining comedy stuff they've done in a long time, even if it does tread the line of kayfabe a little bit. Having watched pretty much all but one or two episodes this season, I'm still as excited as ever to see AJ on the main roster when she inevitably wins (she broke out a freakin' octopus hold last week), so it hasn't been particularly damaging to her either.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the 0.01% of your mass audience that tunes into the show treats it as a joke, and it's not even on TV in your main market, it's pretty safe to just go along with the joke. Whoever wins and moves to the main roster will be a complete unknown to 99.99% of viewers anyway. And you're keeping that 0.01% around because it's hilarious car-crash television.
I agree, but it had potential to be much more. They could have pushed it to be something that benefited everyone, and instead they treat the whole thing like shit...its just stupid.

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
Then why do they continue with it.

There's no gain.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then why do they continue with it.

There's no gain.
Thats exactly what I'm saying. What are they gaining from bashing their own product? They could've just split the girls up and introduced them on Raw and Smackdown respectively and it would've made more sense than what they're doing now...

I mean sure, in hindsight I guess they're getting a bit of exposure from being on NXT...but its not much i dont think. It's not like AJ or Naomi are gonna show up on Raw next week and be recognized by the entire arena. they'll get a pop for being attractive, but they dont have face value right now like their male counterparts had when they showed up...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thank You to the op for making this thread, me and my boyfriend have been watching NXT3 and the last few weeks it has been bothering me too the way Cole and Matthews act like a-holes and call the show a train wreck and make snide comments, I said to my boyfriend tonight while watching they are being sexiest and demeaning towards the rookie diva's because the first two season of NXT they didn't act like they are acting now, they are sexiest pigs! i mean why can't they just go with the flow and leave their rude and demeaning comments to themselves.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I think you and I generally seem to have pretty similar outlooks on the product, and I gotta say, you should at least try the episode with Punk on commentary. It's not in the least bit interesting from an in-ring perspective, but it's some of the most entertaining comedy stuff they've done in a long time, even if it does tread the line of kayfabe a little bit. Having watched pretty much all but one or two episodes this season, I'm still as excited as ever to see AJ on the main roster when she inevitably wins (she broke out a freakin' octopus hold last week), so it hasn't been particularly damaging to her either.
I'm glad to hear they're using her well, one of my fears was they'd give far more attention to the underwear models and let the only one with proven ability job in order to make them look better by comparison. I might check out the Punk episode, can you remember which week it was on?

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
I think its fine , truly skilled female wrestlers seem very few and far between so like how the hell are they supposed to get 6 chicks who are on the level of McTaker who aren't already signed or something.... just too hard to get quality divas like that

& this shows about ROOKIES , so you almost should all realistically EXPECT them to all suck compared to pros

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think its fine , truly skilled female wrestlers seem very few and far between so like how the hell are they supposed to get 6 chicks who are on the level of McTaker who aren't already signed or something.... just too hard to get quality divas like that

& this shows about ROOKIES , so you almost should all realistically EXPECT them to all suck compared to pros
I get what your saying as far as their talent levels, and I dont think anyone was expecting any of them to come out and be on the level of a proven talent. But thats not really the point. The point is they're shitting wholly on the product.

Think back to the last two season of NXT. How many of those guys out right sucked? More than half? Yet they where still treated with a degree of seriousness. Sure, they had jokes cracked about them but the product was still presented as "this competition is sort of a big deal, it actually means something". This season has been the same way:

Majority of the roster sucks.
We already know who the top three are going to be.
The matches have been sub-par
Dumb challenges every week

Everything that has happened this with this season has happened in all the other seasons and they didnt shit on it then...so why do it now? It makes no sense.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
it's not like the competition is gonna lead to anything.
like the Divas in the WWE, They'll put on bad matches and deliver terrible promos while being an important part of the company since the fans will have to use the bathroom sometime during the show.

Just be happy the WWE actually went through with a female version of NXT.

·
7,024 Posts
I'm glad to hear they're using her well, one of my fears was they'd give far more attention to the underwear models and let the only one with proven ability job in order to make them look better by comparison. I might check out the Punk episode, can you remember which week it was on?
It was the September 21st episode. Of course, the exact night I said they were using AJ right, they eliminated her, so I'm apparently not the right person to listen to. :p

·
Resident Old Man
3,677 Posts
Its more of the commentators making a joke of it. IMO, since its on web only now, WWE doesn't care really what they think of the show. The fans that watch NXT now are the 'real' fans that probably get a kick out of it anyway.

I hope WWE takes the hint and doesn't continue with NXT anymore.

·
Registered
839 Posts
The way I see it, after the first several episodes of taking this season seriously, WWE realised that divas can not hold a show on their own, and thus the main way to draw viewers is turning it into a comedy show. Regardless of what anyone says, the commentary for NXT is absolutely hilarious. It is the most entertaining commentary on all of WWE's programming at the moment. I know it's the reason I tune in every week.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Thank You to the op for making this thread, me and my boyfriend have been watching NXT3 and the last few weeks it has been bothering me too the way Cole and Matthews act like a-holes and call the show a train wreck and make snide comments, I said to my boyfriend tonight while watching they are being sexiest and demeaning towards the rookie diva's because the first two season of NXT they didn't act like they are acting now, they are sexiest pigs! i mean why can't they just go with the flow and leave their rude and demeaning comments to themselves
THEY ARE BEING TOLD TO MOCK THE SHOW TO MAKE IT ENTERTAINING! They are simply following orders from Vince McMahon. Do you really think if they came on to RAW and did commentary like this they would still have a job?!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts