Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching WWF PPV's from the early 90's as a bit of nostalgia, and it struck me how brave they were for making Sgt Slaughter's character an Iraqi sympathiser in the middle of the Gulf War!

Watching the Royal Rumble 1991, where he won the championship from the Ultimate Warrior, the heat (or should that be hate) he got from the crowd was just unreal. Seeing the faces of grown men just screwed up with sheer hatred! He must have needed protection outside of the ring seeing as kayfabe was still well and truly alive in 1991. Watching back, it made the product a lot edgier than I remember it being.

Also, as an aside, looking at the opener of that PPV, a tag match between the Rockers and the Orient Express, which was an amazing match. It shows how poor the tag division is these days, and how good it could be if they invested a little effort into it.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I wasn't even born in 1991, and never re-lived the year, so I can't comment on that. But it sounds like something that should be watched, so I'm gonna go get some.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't actually watch it the first time around. I would have just turned 9 at the time, and the first PPV I watched was the Summerslam of that year. But the Royal Rumble is a great event - as I said the opening tag match is fantastic, the rumble itself is a good one and there's a promo with Sherri and the Warrior which probably wouldn't pass the current PG rules as it is liberally laced with sexual innuendo from Sherri.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
I only just relived 1991 for the first time this past summer, for some reason it was the only year of ppv's that had escaped me all this time of being a wrestling fan.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
that woulda gotten so much heat from me. My mom was in that...operation.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I didn't actually watch it the first time around. I would have just turned 9 at the time, and the first PPV I watched was the Summerslam of that year. But the Royal Rumble is a great event - as I said the opening tag match is fantastic, the rumble itself is a good one and there's a promo with Sherri and the Warrior which probably wouldn't pass the current PG rules as it is liberally laced with sexual innuendo from Sherri.
Pretty sure the WWF in 1991 was in PG. It's not the rating, it's how the company is willing to use it. You can get away with a fuckload with a PG rating. For example, Smackdown's ALWAYS been PG to the best of my knowledge, and it wasn't noticeably tamer than Raw to my young eyes.

I'd love to see that angle used today. With the advent of these sort of overwhelmingly negative forums, would it be called 'brave' or simply dismissed as bullshit 'cheap heat'.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been watching WWF PPV's from the early 90's as a bit of nostalgia, and it struck me how brave they were for making Sgt Slaughter's character an Iraqi sympathiser in the middle of the Gulf War!

Watching the Royal Rumble 1991, where he won the championship from the Ultimate Warrior, the heat (or should that be hate) he got from the crowd was just unreal. Seeing the faces of grown men just screwed up with sheer hatred! He must have needed protection outside of the ring seeing as kayfabe was still well and truly alive in 1991. Watching back, it made the product a lot edgier than I remember it being.

Also, as an aside, looking at the opener of that PPV, a tag match between the Rockers and the Orient Express, which was an amazing match. It shows how poor the tag division is these days, and how good it could be if they invested a little effort into it.
Remember it all very well, one of my fav PPV's as a young boy

The Rockers VS The Orient Express was the first match as well! Insane

It was the moonsault from the top rope from Michaels...my first "HBK" moment LOL - pure class

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
WCW tried to recreate this when they had Hacksaw Jim Duggan turn on America and join Team Canada. Seeing Duggan carrying the Canadian flag was hillarious.

·
Registered
189 Posts
in regards to the OP, im not sure when it was and i cant even remember the guys name. but they had this middle eastern charecter and i remember a bunch of guys dressed in all black with ski mask came out to give taker a beating. it got alot of heat (gee wonder why) and im pretty sure he dissapered. if i wasnt on such a horrible connection i would look up who it was. my point being that WWE isnt shy for using politcal matters to try and gain peopel heat.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
in regards to the OP, im not sure when it was and i cant even remember the guys name. but they had this middle eastern charecter and i remember a bunch of guys dressed in all black with ski mask came out to give taker a beating. it got alot of heat (gee wonder why) and im pretty sure he dissapered. if i wasnt on such a horrible connection i would look up who it was. my point being that WWE isnt shy for using politcal matters to try and gain peopel heat.
That was Muhammad Hassan.

The thing about that angle with the Undertaker is that aired on Smackdown the same day as the Lonodon Subway bombings.

·
Banned
4,682 Posts
WCW tried to recreate this when they had Hacksaw Jim Duggan turn on America and join Team Canada. Seeing Duggan carrying the Canadian flag was hillarious.
How is that an attempt to "recreate"? The US and Canada were not at war, beyond some "my country is better than yours" shit, there was/is no tru hatred there. The US and Iraq were at WAR and it had just started, and was a very big deal. It's not even close to the same thing.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
What's more surprising is how Vince convinced popular babyface Slaughter to turn heel in such a nasty way,because his career would never recover from it.In fact,he worked on non-wrestling projects such as GI Joe.

It's the equivalent of Rey Mysterio declaring his support of North Korea!

·
Michael Cole is NXT
1,049 Posts
Watching it, the heat he got is CRAZY. In my opinion wouldn't be half as effective today, but Jesus Iron Shiek and Slaughter where over as fuck back then.

I have heard stories of Slaughter being chased by pissed off marks in cars several times and having death threats.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Twas a good angle and got nuclear heat.

At the time of that rumble I was 11 and I couldn't beleive the Warrior lost the title to the out of shape Sgt Slaughter. The interference from Macho Man was so awesome though.

And I agree that first match with the Rockers v Orient Express was awesome. Those two teams had so many awesome matches together. Man the rockers were awesome. I don't think there's every been a more entertaining team tbh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts