Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
11,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other side of the "Things you miss" thread.

I am not talking about wrestlers or specific people, but trends.

What trends, angles, or pracitces are there in wrestling today that you wish you could erase from ever being trendy, or done in the first place. For example......

Just my opinion:

-Backstage vignettes: They just really make it hard to loose yourself in the suspended reality that is a large part of what makes wrestling fun. Those vignettes drive me insane. They make me feel a.) Like I am an idiot for watching this crap, and b.) They really have no clue how to do a good story without insulting our intelligence. They are especially stupid when a "camera" just happens to catch something.
I will admit this happened more 10 years ago and maybe just maybe common sense has taken over. Is it just me or do these type of stupid backstage vignettes always follow where Kevin Nash and Eric Bischoff are booking...hmmmmmm?

-Gimmick Match Pay Per Views: I remember when the Hell In A Cell actually felt like it was born out of blood fued. They have taken away it's value. Same with Money In The Bank although that at least leads to other angles. Royal Rumble is okay, but aside from that Elimination Chamber, Hell In A Cell, Money In the Bank, these should be gimmick matches on other shows to keep them special, not gimmick PPV's.

Just a start

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
55,109 Posts
The epic botch that was the Invasion angle. If they weren't going to do it right, they shouldn't have done it at all.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
The entire WWF/WWE nWo run. It wasn't the nWo we all knew and loved, its reason for being in the WWF was convoluted and didn't really make sense (they were introduced through a mirror that showed "nWo" written on the back of Vince's chair? HUH!?). At least show them getting back together in an angle on RAW or something. If they entered the same way the Nexus did, it would have made an impact.

You can still do Hogan vs Rock at WrestleMania X8 without it. None of it was necessary, really.

EDIT: Oh, oops. Misread the original post.

- General Managers, which is something that continues even to today. That's right, I want to erase the present.

·
Likes wrestling....
11,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The entire WWF/WWE nWo run. It wasn't the nWo we all knew and loved, its reason for being in the WWF was convoluted and didn't really make sense (they were introduced through a mirror that showed "nWo" written on the back of Vince's chair? HUH!?). At least show them getting back together in an angle on RAW or something. If they entered the same way the Nexus did, it would have made an impact.

You can still do Hogan vs Rock at WrestleMania X8 without it. None of it was necessary, really.

EDIT: Oh, oops. Misread the original post.

- General Managers, which is something that continues even to today. That's right, I want to erase the present.
General Managers : Great One

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
3,198 Posts
Like Greenlawler said gimmick PPVs. I can stand them. A hell in a cell is supposed to be a match where everything gets settled. One guy finally gets his chance at another guy and that other guy can't get away because he is locked in a cell. Nowadays a hell in a cell match doesn't have nearly the feel it once did because every year there is a card showing just hell in a cell matches just frustrating.

I'm going to have to think in this. Nothing is really coming to mind right now

·
Likes wrestling....
11,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple others

-Non Wreslers being the focus of storylines: although I guess the no more GM'S from an earlier post counts here. I am so tired of the main storyline arch's centering around people who don't wrestle. I am not talking managers they are tend to help, but GM's, owners, guests. Of course the original Vince run with Austin was great. However it is overkill now days.

-Bland gimmick's: I am not calling for a return of the early 90's WWF where every wreslter had a cartoon gimmick. But what I do want is for there to be more actual gimmicks that are neither over the top for kids like the Los Matadores, or bland this guys is tough gimmicks. There is a happy medium. So tired of every muscle bound guy walking to the ring with bland synthesized heavy metal and intorduced by some lame first and last name. This IMO as an earlier poster said (one what thread I cannot remember) is why the Wyatt family is so cool, they actually put thought into a gimmick for once. It's not cheesy kid fair or three big guys who are just "tough".

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Management taking part in storylines. They're almost always going to get their way.

JBL is something I'd like to erase. Bradshaw was a badass.

Money in the bank. I hate that thing. It's basically like winning an easier Royal Rumble and guarteeing a WM win. It cheapens storylines, titles, and champions.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I would like to erase breaking of kayfabe and if possible keep it alive forever in pro-wrestling. I miss the monster heel from Mongolia or the barbarian from wild or the warrior from parts unknown which i feel was lost due to breaking of kayfabe and availability of too much information around. Imagine, Bray Wyatt if you did not and cannot find who he really is. His character would have worked in a different level altogether.

I would also like to get rid of the stupid arm wrestling, bench pressing and what not matches where the heel cheats after losing to the face. It is like always given.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
I would erase the whole Katie Vick thing. I know that was a one time angle but it was a damn black eye for wrestling.

I would also get rid of using deceased wrestlers in story lines. The whole thing with Orton saying Eddie was in hell with his kids watching the shows was incredibly ridiculous.

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
-The NWO angle. I admit that I did mark in excitement when Vince turned his chair around and the letters N-W-O were drawn on the back, but that's because I loved the NWO and they were what got me hooked to wrestling in the first place, plus there was optimism that the angle would work in WWF. However, knowing what we know now about the fans refusing to boo Hulk Hogan, it would have been better if Hogan just came in as his old self right off the bat. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash could have come in later as The Outsiders and even shared a backstage segment with Hogan at some point just as a nice throwback to the NWO days where they try and talk Hogan into rejoining them (they make fun of him for going back to the yellow and red and ask him where's the old "Hollywood" at?) but Hogan dismisses them.

-Austin's heel turn in 2001. I know Austin shared a lot of good segments with Kurt Angle that year that wouldn't have been possible if he were not a heel, but the negatives outweigh the positives IMO. Austin was still red hot as a babyface and I'd have much rather he just stayed that way. They could have booked the WM17 match to still end the same way, just remove Vince's involvement. You could still tell the story of Austin doing everything he could to put The Rock down and finally become WWF Champion again and had him resort to nailing Rock with 17 steel chair shots the same way without it being heelish.

-The Invasion angle. There were some good things that transpired during the Invasion angle (Austin vs Angle, Rock vs Booker T., Chris Jericho vs The Rock, Edge and Christian's breakup, etc.) but all of these things could have easily existed without it, too. Hell, Jericho and The Rock were even on the same side when they feuded. The rest of it was just an overwhelming clusterfuck (though the Survivor Series elimination match was awesome, but that's not enough to make up for the rest of the angle being piss poor.)

-Hulk Hogan winning the WWF Title from Randy Savage at Wrestlemania 5. Yes, I know heels walking out of Mania the victor in the main event was very taboo back then but Savage was insanely hot as a heel and I wonder what kind of reaction it would have gotten to see him win the match via a screw job of some sort and milk his heel run as champion a bit more. It could have lead to a rematch between the two at either Summerslam or a hugely hyped episode of Saturday Night's Main Event where Hogan wins the title back then.

There's more... Katie Vick, not making Owen Hart do the Blue Blazer bullshit in 1999, etc... but I don't want to type out a paragraph for every single thing I'd wish away. These are some of my top choices, though.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
- Gimmick PPVs I agree with 100%.

- general managers werent bad in the early days, but now its awful. Smackdown GM making matches on Raw? Makes no sense.

- whenever theres a backstage segment, it always ends with someone looking at the other wrestler walking away, like a staredown. its pathetic

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wish they could erase the ammount of PPV's and reduce to about 6/7. The ammount of time to build a decent bit of storyline and /or Character development is almost near impossible when there is literally 3-4 weeks to do so. I know more PPVS = more revenue but when the quality of the product begins to suffer, then surely it needs work? Ideally I would like to see:

January - Royal Rumble
March - Wrestlemania
April - 'Backlash'
June- King Of the Ring
August - Summerslam
September - Non gimmicked PPV
November - Survivor Series

·
Banned
605 Posts
Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly Hardcore Holly Hardcore Hollly

·
Likes wrestling....
11,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Older thread but after tonight I feel this should be added.

I am tired of contract signings. We all know they are going to break down into a brawl. Every once in a while is fine, but every time? And they have so many contract signings these days it really does not seem like a big deal at all....although I don't think it ever really did.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts