Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We always complain about WWE and point out the negative things we see on tv. A lot of them are good points and valid. We are fans and we wouldn't be on WF if we weren't. I decided to start a thread about what they have done very well. Basically things that almost go unsaid because we take it for granted.

I'll start it off with a man called The Undertaker. During his Ministry character I never considered him a legend and I didn't tune in to see him. The biker thing was ok but when he revamped his deadman gimmick, his character build has been brilliant. It's incredible when he comes out now and it's hard to get that feeling out of a character.

The other thing that is sometimes mentioned is the production crew in WWE. The promos that they make and how fast they do it is awesome.

What are the things WWE does great or things they have pulled off nicely in your book?

·
GOAT
4,523 Posts
They actually made me feel slightly sorry for Cena during the Nexus angle. I am ashamed of myself, and Wade is one of my favourite guys in the WWE, but I felt myself feeling a bit of sympathy, and that does take some doing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
All I can really think of is production value. Their product certainly looks nice with the arenas, the stage, the pyros, etc.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Cena vs JBL was great. Most angles that involved Benoit or Eddie tended to be very well worked.

The best thing they ever did was allow wrestlers (near enough) free reign of their promos just before (and during) the attitude era. Stars that thrived off that are Rock, SCSA, Y2J, the many faces of Foley, Taker and Kane and a number of others. Note how 2 of those became global, mainstream phenomenons as a result, too.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Really enjoyed the Undertaker HHH match at Wrestlemania... I haven't really watched wrestling as much as I did in 98, 99, 2000, but I briefly watched again in 06 went to Raw on 9/11/2006 at MSG, but I recently got into it again with the return of the Rock and I have to admit I was on the edge of my seat in the HHH UT match was AWESOME!

I wasn't sure who was going to win, because I really thought maybe HHH would have won being the son-in-law and all... After Undertaker did his finishers and HHH kicked out I said "Okay no way UT wins, HHH will take advantage and win." Then HHH hit a few pedigrees and UT kicked out and I was like, "Okay nevermind UT will come back and win." Then HHH hit the tombstone on UT, and covered UT exactly how UT covered people and I went, "Fuck! the streak ends, so lame!" Then UT kicked out, and I was like "okay I now know WWE won't screw this up, UT is going to win!"

But man I was on the edge of my seat that whole match HOPING UT won! Haven't had those chills down my spine since I watched back in 2000... I remember being on the edge of my seat in the DDP vs Goldberg match in WCW, as well as the Nash vs Goldberg match... Loved those matches, was rooting against Goldberg in both, but hated the Nash ending.

Anyway sorry for getting off topic! Also really enjoyed the match on Friday between Orton and Christian, I didn't look at spoilers, same sort of edge of my seat thing and was REAL pissed when Christian lost!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started watching 2006 summer so off the top of my head:
Edge/Cena feud in 2006
Both HBK/Taker WM matches and stuff leading up to them
HBK/Flair (it's not their fault he decided to un-retire)
HBK/Jericho
Jericho/Mysterio
Punk/Jeff (althought, after reading some stuff from former creative members it seems like Punk basically booked this himself)
Miz's push, apart from few details here and there it has been done great
The Nexus started AWESOME. I think almost everything they did up until 7on7 match was great, even the match was tons of fun until the end final strech where Cena once again overcame the odds :/
Everything production related is top notch, like top notch in the world. I can't really think of who could compare with them (not only from pro-wrestling)
Bringing mainstream exposure to WWE through celebrities during WM time (guest hosts sucked). Floyd Mayweather, Snooki and Trump all helped their respective WMs trendemously. Actually I'm pretty sure Trump WM has the best buyrate in history.
Also there's tons of stuff that had elements of greatness but was brough down by some things,examples:
Batista's heel run was great, but he quit very soon after it
Jeff becoming main eveneter, again he left soon after it, I didnt really like him, but it was great because crowds seemed to love him and a lively crowd can make a match
Orton/HHH 'Mania build was VERY entertaining but then...

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff, but these are the things that stick out to me from my nearly 5 years of watching pro-wrestling.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Throughout their history there's a ton of shit they've done well. Too much to list. Recently............well.......their marketing and production teams are pretty badass.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
The Edge/Christian/Del Rio triangle was booked perfectly from the retirement announcement until Extreme Rules, with an amazing pay off. It didn't last, but it went really well there for a while.

Sin Cara and Kharma have been used and introduced very well so far, and I'm actually excited about seeing their first feuds now. It really is as simple as picking top, experienced talent, introducing and hyping them and protect their position while letting them show their strengths. Excellently done, on both shows.

Extreme Rules was a very high quality PPV, one of the better ones in a long time.

Rhodes/Rey is being done incredibly well so far, from the former's Dashing gimmick into the paranoid, angry man he is now. If they keep his booking up, they could make a convincing new main event talent out of Rhodes.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Failure to build talent properly and make championship wins feel like a big deal. Fucking ace job on those imo.
Why turn a thread that is meant to be positive negative in an instant? there are plenty of things the WWE have done well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
1) Production. The sets, the pyros, the entrances and the video packages are uniformly excellent. You can quibble about matters of taste (witness the interminable arguments about the Corre theme) but technically they are second to none and they do this week in, week out.

2) Talent acquisition and presentation. When they want talent, they get talent and they debut it well too. Del Rio, Sin Cara and Kharma all benefited from the way the WWE debuted them and supports their gimmicks. They've also been able to find plenty of relatively unknown wrestlers with talent and develop them (Corre, Sheamus, Layla, Swagger, Rhodes etc.) Say what you will about their long-term prospects but they have the talent and they have the resources and if *rant about Randy Orton redacted* they could make these guys into legends.

3) Speaking of legends... The WWE has some massive names in their stable and they're all worth their salt. The downside of having them is the same downside that drags the WWE down everywhere, obsession with the Main Event and a lackadaisical approach to the long-term prospects elsewhere but this is a thread about being positive so I'll skip that rant too. When the Rock or HHH or Mysterio goes out there, they can raise the game in the ring and bring the house down and that is a priceless thing.

All in, the WWE has the resources to do pretty well whatever it pleases. Sadly this leads to it coasting on it's laurels at times but when they want to put on a show, we get one hell of a show.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts