Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
If the champion retains the title by getting counted out or disqualified, it prolongs the feud and leads to special match like Hell In A Cell, Steel Cage, TLC, no DQ etc.

·
NEWCASTLE UNITED
2,879 Posts
I agree OP, the rule has always annoyed me. Wrestling doesn't have to be logical and you need cheap heel tactics and plot devices but with this rule a heel may as well just DQ himself every championship match to retain. and why on earth would a DQ let you retain anyway?

It's almost as boring as a distraction roll up finish, nobody can find these entertaining, these days you can see these endings coming before they even happen. Overused and stale. I'm sure we can think of some more interesting methods for cheap heel wins.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I disagree. Yes sometimes it can be annoying but it's actually supposed to be. It's often a good way to keep a feud going though if it's not over done!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,145 Posts
Well first, there's a rarely mentioned aspect of kayfabe which is money. Each fight has a purse like real combat sports and if you lose you get less money, if you get dq'ed you might not get any money. Also, a guy who regularly throws fights would in kayfabe be less of a draw because people don't know that they'd get their money's worth, which means even if he keeps the title, the purses for his matches will be less. Sometimes it might be worth it to throw a single match and lose out on that money if keeping your title means bigger money matches in the future than if you didn't have the title.

The second aspect is dealing with authority figures. If you keep throwing matches the GM can put you in special stipulation matches or outright strip you of your title. Then there's the fact that the opponent almost always gets a rematch, so at best you're doing is delaying the inevitable, likely under worse conditions for you. Again this might be worth it if you find yourself in danger in a match, and want a mulligan so you can come back with a better game plan.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I like the rule but I grew up being a Ric Flair fan when he was the NWA champion and the dirtiest player in the game.

Teams with the better record get advantages in most sports of home field / home court but what does wrestling have to give the champ? Wrestling doesn't use the scoring system like boxing does where the championship doesn't change with a draw.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I think they should implement something similar to a coach's challenge. After the match either person in the match can grab the mic and ask for a commissioner to review the call. The job of the GM or commissioner would he to dissect the motive and decide if it was an intentional move by the heel champ to get themselves counted out or disqualified and if the answer is yes the title changes hands. Still leaves the door open for a crooked GM/Commisiiner for storytelling purposes if they choose to to that route. Something like that would be used very sparingly though.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
agree with OP's point but something that always pissed me off in matches that end in DQ.. For example, a few weeks ago when Ambrose was DQ'd vs Miz, they announced Miz as the winner, as they should. But then they said "BUT STILL IC CHAMPION, DEAN AMBROSE", and then played his music. HE LOST. Why would they play the guy music of the guy who lost? I get it when the heel does it to get heat, but it's just something that makes no sense whatsoever.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Because chicken shit heels don't want to be that way. They'd like to be winners like the other wrestlers and be able to pin their opponents cleanly and prove their actions go with their words, they try, but, in the end, they can't accept their own limitations, they steal what's not rightfully theirs.

The reason Eddie could make a whole gimmick out of that is because it was rare, he had a charming personality, and, most importantly, that meant he was never pretending to be other than what he was - a loser who had to lie, cheat, and steal because he had nothing else going for him.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts