Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean the number whoring (all though that could chill too), I don't even mean the short reigns. A lot of people think it started with the Attitude Era, but even then in '99 when the belt changed every week the guys holding it was elite talent (The Rock, Mankind, Austin, Undertaker, Triple H & Big Show). I'm not even mentioning that storyline McMahon win.

What I mean is now it's gotten to the point that any midcarder that even has a decent following gets a run or people say "they should give him the belt." Ziggler wasn't ready (and is a midcarder for fucking life). People actually think Sandow should've won when he cashed in despite having no momentum. As much as I like Del Rio if they were actually only giving the belt to elite top guys he wouldn't be holding the belt so long without anyone noticing. Lackluster ass Wrestlemania matches (Swagger vs Del Rio) and I'm a big fan of both.

As much as I give Bryan shit his 2 WWE title wins were the top storyline of the show. That mattered, but the whole story was kind of dumb because we had to ignore that he already held a world title.

This might sound like all the issues are the World Heavyweight Championship existing, but to me it boils down to stop giving midcarders belts. I understand they don't have the depth they did even back in '09 it's getting outrageous when someone like Bray Wyatt is getting threads saying he should be champ when he debuted. He still has hardly done shit. It's just the belts are now to the point that people understand they don't mean shit to begin with.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
The problem is with the WHC moreso, look at the last 10 people that held the title, its embarrassing, the WWE title still has its prestige, the only guy that is lol worthy to have held it over the last few years was The Miz, but he was pretty over back then so its understandable.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
I don't mean the number whoring (all though that could chill too), I don't even mean the short reigns. A lot of people think it started with the Attitude Era, but even then in '99 when the belt changed every week the guys holding it was elite talent (The Rock, Mankind, Austin, Undertaker, Triple H & Big Show). I'm not even mentioning that storyline McMahon win.

What I mean is now it's gotten to the point that any midcarder that even has a decent following gets a run or people say "they should give him the belt." Ziggler wasn't ready (and is a midcarder for fucking life). People actually think Sandow should've won when he cashed in despite having no momentum. As much as I like Del Rio if they were actually only giving the belt to elite top guys he wouldn't be holding the belt so long without anyone noticing. Lackluster ass Wrestlemania matches (Swagger vs Del Rio) and I'm a big fan of both.

As much as I give Bryan shit his 2 WWE title wins were the top storyline of the show. That mattered, but the whole story was kind of dumb because we had to ignore that he already held a world title.

This might sound like all the issues are the World Heavyweight Championship existing, but to me it boils down to stop giving midcarders belts. I understand they don't have the depth they did even back in '09 it's getting outrageous when someone like Bray Wyatt is getting threads saying he should be champ when he debuted. He still has hardly done shit. It's just the belts are now to the point that people understand they don't mean shit to begin with.
Exactly the mid carder belts are the IC and US title, stop jobbing those champions and let them win so they can be built to maybe get a WHC shot.

The WHC needs to be treated like a world title and not a 2nd rate title.

The only people that should be WWE or WHC at this point are

Cena
Orton
Punk
Bryan
ADR
Sheamus

Now if they want to build up mid carders like Ziggler, Sandow, or Cesero that is fine they could go for the WHC but they need a long IC or US title run first.
You could also add in Rollins, Reigns and Ambrose as well if they got long IC or US title reins and WIN not job.

Mid carders can be used for title shots but only for fodder to lose to the champions.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is with the WHC moreso, look at the last 10 people that held the title, its embarrassing, the WWE title still has its prestige, the only guy that is lol worthy to have held it over the last few years was The Miz, but he was pretty over back then so its understandable.
Yeah, that's why I didn't shit on his reign he was over.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
CM Punk held the WWE Title for 434 days
Kane and Daniel Bryan held the Tag Titles for 245 days
The Shield held the Tag Titles for 148 days
Dean Ambrose's current reign is 178 days
Antonio Cesaro's title reign was 239 days
Curtis Axel reign is 150 days.

There have been many long title reigns recently and you have to see each title reign as a rung on the ladder and how WWE currently views that talent. The problem isn't throwing away titles but more about not booking enough of them as interesting or having any big WOW moments. Nothing can upstage the main event but when the Main Event is Big Show putting people through table then everything downwards is going to suffer.

·
DIRK
10,344 Posts
The main thing is that booking has just gotten so fucking lazy. Just a few years ago two big names (Booker T and Benoit) were having a best of 7(?) series over the US title. It actually meant something. Nowadays you have a guy who has been jobbing/not on TV in Ziggler getting an IC title shot out of the blue. Makes no sense. There's no long-term planning aside from the main event, and even then the plotholes are astounding.

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts
well it also doesn't help the current ic champ is one of the most forgettable geeks of all time. it should by obvious now the "curtis axel" experiment is a fucking failure, keeping the title on him only serves to make it look worse too. i mean i wanted to like him, but it's just incredibly difficult to give the slightest fuck about him. put it on ziggler or even Big e

i mean to be fair it's not hard to elevate a title in a reasonable time frame. look what cody did with the ic title a while back. cesaro made the us title look good when he had it too, it just requires a few small things/tweaking in booking approach to make mid card titles relevant.

the whc seems to suffer from a bunch of shitty losing streak mitb cash ins. i assume with cena holding it now it'll at least look important.

·
DIRK
10,344 Posts
Yeah, agreed.

I think the idea of Cena winning was to elevate that title because it has been a joke and a secondary title for ages. If it weren't for the McMahons/Authority storyline surrounding the WWE title, I'd say whatever belt Cena holds is the most important.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
And What did any of them guys do they jobbed 90% of their matches. And really they were champs maybe 50 days if u count only tv time .

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Agreed with much that was said. The WHC should mean something, and have big names fighting for it only, not Swagger Vs Del Rio. It should stay the priority in storylines, not put it in the background to develop the AJ/Ziggler or Del Rio/Ricardo breakup stories. Thats what really turns me off.

The WWE is huge, there should be 2 world champions, but they should be treated equally. Not having Cena/Rock for the WWE Title and Swagger/Del Rio for the WHC. Its like, what are you trying to tell the fans? Why not have equally big matches both belts? This is maybe their way of trying to shit on WcW. Sting and Hogan used to fight for that belt, now its Swagger, Ziggler, Del Rio.

For the midcard titles too, the Hardyz, Edge, and Christian used to dive off 20 foot ladders for the tag belts. And later on too, Benoit/Angle, Edge/Rey, the Guerreros, used to put on 15 minute classics for the titles. The tag division has picked up with the Shield, but they still need to have actual feuds for the IC/US/Tag belts. Not just put them in the background of other stories.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I totally agree.

also u have to make the title matches beleivable and good matches as well. in all honesty the IC match between ziggler and axel was avg nothing special but the way how he won was not beleivable in my point of view and at the end of the day u prob didnt even care who had it.

They need someone to take it back and make it important. if i was wwe team i would get a previous IC title holder the lieks of jericho christian, rvd go and win off axel and say somethign liek they tainted the name of the title and wants to bring prestige back to title. Then next year fend off everyone that challenges and put on soem good matches in between there.

But that is too much to ask they dont know how to develop mid carders

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
The world Heavyweight Title is part of the problem. It needs to go. It's not that they have too many belts. Four singles titles is perfect, but it needs to be made perfectly clear who/what each title is meant to be for.

The problem is that WWE has ruined the concept of a midcard. They've neglected it so badly that they've created the mindset that "midcarder = jobber", so now they think the only way they can get a guy over and have him be taken seriously is to present him as a "star". So now there are so many guys on the roster who we're supposed to think are "main eventers".

The problem with two World Titles is that WWE is trying to push too many people to the "top level" instead of just making a strong roster from top to bottom. They try to make every over and moderately talented person into "The Next Big Thing".

What's worse is that having two World Titles makes everyone look bad. When a guy like Dolph Ziggler or Miz gets a World Title run, or someone like Ryback or Wade Barrett gets pushed to the top of the card immediately, once they have to step away from the title picture and do other things, it's looked at as a step down and they're marked as a "failure". And guys like Kofi Kingston just look like total losers because they can't win a world title when everyone and their mother is getting a world title reign.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts