Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, it's hard to tell who is who without that bar popping up. Daniel Bryan, Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler, Zack Ryder, Drew McIntyre, what happened to using wrestler names like Triple H, Undertaker, The Rock, Stone Cold, Sting, Goldberg, Batista, what happened to that?

Secondly, anyone else think these guys need some better gimmicks? Sorry, Santino Marella is ridiculous. Daniel Bryan? YES?? How about no. I don't even know what Swagger, McIntyre and Ryder's gimmicks even are but I am guessing they aren't that much different or well developed.

Point is, these guys act the same, sound the same, look the same, and they all use music from a band rather than a theme song that fits their gimmick. WWE has a very shaky road ahead of it if this is the talent they plan on trying to keep at the top.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I kinda agree. The cool thing about wrestlers are their nicknames and today's stars just sound like standard people.

Sheamus is good though.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Daniel Bryan is one of the few that makes sense, because his indy name/actual name was Bryan Danielson. The rest though, I never fully understood why WWE give them such horribly generic names. I can only imagine it's to give WWE that faux reality look, I can't think of any other explanations.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kinda agree. The cool thing about wrestlers are their nicknames and today's stars just sound like standard people.

Sheamus is good though.
Yeah Sheamus, The Miz, CM Punk all stand out. Even John Morrison stood out, because his name was a rock star gimmick.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Undertaker came about during a very gimmick-oriented time. Triple H is just a play on Hunter-Hurst-Helmsley, once again when gimmicks were frequent and what a horrible gimmick it was. Stone Cold is just an awesome name, it tells you on his DVD where that name comes from though. The Rock was obviously taken from "Rocky" and probably a homage to Don Muraco. Goldberg is just his surname? and same with Batista albeit different spelling.

It's a different time in pro-wrestling. Things go round in cycles so who knows, maybe we'll be getting "Undertakers" in the future if they ever get all gimmicky again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Undertaker came about during a very gimmick-oriented time. Triple H is just a play on Hunter-Hurst-Helmsley, once again when gimmicks were frequent and what a horrible gimmick it was. Stone Cold is just an awesome name, it tells you on his DVD where that name comes from though. The Rock was obviously taken from "Rocky" and probably a homage to Don Muraco. Goldberg is just his surname? and same with Batista albeit different spelling.

It's a different time in pro-wrestling. Things go round in cycles so who knows, maybe we'll be getting "Undertakers" in the future if they ever get all gimmicky again.
Yes, Taker did, but that is what made wrestling cool, everyone was unique. Everyone had their own style, their own trademarks, their own gimmick. They don't have that these days.

Triple H is a play on Hunter Hearst Helmsley, yes, but it was an awesome name. Triple H. That name is a great wrestling name. His gimmick? Well he was an assassin, he was dedicated to the business, dedicated to winning the prize, that was his obsession and he would do anything to get it.

The Rock was a great name.

Goldberg and Batista are surnames, yes but they sound like great wrestling names.

My point is, these guys all are using boring, generic names that don't give anyone insight into their character or tell you anything about them. These names are about as interesting as someone coming out with the name John Smith.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Yes, Taker did, but that is what made wrestling cool, everyone was unique. Everyone had their own style, their own trademarks, their own gimmick. They don't have that these days.

Triple H is a play on Hunter Hearst Helmsley, yes, but it was an awesome name. Triple H. That name is a great wrestling name. His gimmick? Well he was an assassin, he was dedicated to the business, dedicated to winning the prize, that was his obsession and he would do anything to get it.

The Rock was a great name.

Goldberg and Batista are surnames, yes but they sound like great wrestling names.

My point is, these guys all are using boring, generic names that don't give anyone insight into their character or tell you anything about them. These names are about as interesting as someone coming out with the name John Smith.
I won't lie to you, It did make wrestling cool. We all loved the characters that came with it, back before the internet was as big as it is now, when kayfabe run wild in everyone. But it's a little different in today's society. People will not buy into a "Zombie" gimmick these days or a "half burnt monster of a man" etc. etc.

Well technically, his gimmick was that of a "Connecticut Blue Blood born with a silver spoon in his mouth" but yeah, his character change over the years made him transcend into one of the best superstars of his generation. They do sound like great name you're right, but you still have some great badass names in wrestling today too, just like you had boring generic names back in the day.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
You fail rather hard on your examples, since Goldberg and Batista were simply last names. Triple H was an abbreviation of a name every bit as "ridiculous" as the ones you ridicule. Even the Rock was simply a play on a less than great ring name. It would be like calling McIntyre "Drew Mac" and declaring it the greatest thing ever.

Those guys also aren't any more or less "the same" in appearance/gimmick/music etc as the guys you kiss up to during the post. You sound like one of those "everything not from the Attitude Era sucks" people.

·
Banned
882 Posts
So you think Dean Ambrose will be Dean Ambrose or maybe go back to Jon Moxley? After all, Batista and Cena changed their names, don't see why Dean won't.

Of course, I think his real name is Jonathan Good, so maybe they will use that.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
So you think Dean Ambrose will be Dean Ambrose or maybe go back to Jon Moxley? After all, Batista and Cena changed their names, don't see why Dean won't.

Of course, I think his real name is Jonathan Good, so maybe they will use that.
FCW and OVW are pretty different.

Anyone who now comes up from FCW will not be changing there name, if they change names, that will be done in FCW much like Husky Harris going to Axl Mulligan, back to Husky Harris and now to Bray Wyatt.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You fail rather hard on your examples, since Goldberg and Batista were simply last names. Triple H was an abbreviation of a name every bit as "ridiculous" as the ones you ridicule. Even the Rock was simply a play on a less than great ring name. It would be like calling McIntyre "Drew Mac" and declaring it the greatest thing ever.

Those guys also aren't any more or less "the same" in appearance/gimmick/music etc as the guys you kiss up to during the post. You sound like one of those "everything not from the Attitude Era sucks" people.

I've already explained my reasons for why I mentioned those examples. Maybe you should read more.

And no, it would not be the same as calling someone Drew Mac. Drew Mac sounds retarded. The Rock sounds great. These are generic names....sorry....but they are.

And no I am not one of those "anything not from the attitude era sucks" people. I like CM Punk, I liked Batista, Brock Lesnar, Orton, Edge as a World Champ....they aren't from the attitude era. I also liked stuff prior to the attitude era.

You sound like one of those "anything WWE puts out is good and I will eat it up like candy" types of people.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Using more casual names is WWE's way of making it seem more real. A lot of the reason people didn't look at wrestling as "cool" was because of the gimmicky characters. I personally like gimmicks because this is supposed to be entertainment after all. If I wanted to watch casual guys fight, I'd watch UFC only instead of both. I'd like to see the return of gimmicks like Gangrel, Taker w/ Bearer, etc.

·
Banned
882 Posts
Edge is from the Attitude Era, he joined WWE in 1998.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts