Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I posted about this a while ago, but there has been no improvement since then really - why the fuck don't the announcers (and WWE in general) bother giving names to so many prominent moves?

Just watching Ambrose vs. Ziggler on Main Event, the announcing in the match suffered because when Ambrose hit his finisher, the announcer can't go "Oh he's got him for the (_____), he hits it!" or something, he just goes "Ambrose...Ziggler...planted!" or something lame. With no move names the announcer can't say something like "He's looking to hit the (_______)" or "He hit him with the (____)." Imagine a lot of the all-time great WWE calls without the move names. It's ridiculous.

The specific moves I'm thinking of are Ambrose's finisher, Bryan's new knee finisher, and Curtis Axel's finisher. Other prominent guys without finisher move names include Fandango and Seth Rollins (even though the blackout already has a name). The weird thing is, most NXT guys have names for their finishers. Bray Wyatt does. But then again Sami Zayn doesn't.

Do you guys agree it's completely bush league to not give prominent moves names, and that the calling of the matches often suffers as a result? And I know we did this part last time, but if you've got suggestions for good names for the moves, shout 'em out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fandango's finisher is the Leg Drop. How much more of a name does it need? Running knee lift doesn't really need a crazy made up name either. Those faceplant finishers on Axel and Ambrose could probably use something though.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
The specific moves I'm thinking of are Ambrose's finisher, Bryan's new knee finisher, and Curtis Axel's finisher. Other prominent guys without finisher move names include Fandango and Seth Rollins (even though the blackout already has a name). The weird thing is, most NXT guys have names for their finishers. Bray Wyatt does. But then again Sami Zayn doesn't.
I consider myself somewhat of a wrestling encyclopedia so here are the names of everything you just listed:

Ambrose's finisher: Kidnapping Diana Ross
Bryan Knee: Move! Bitch! Get out tha way!
Curtis Axel's finisher: The Dong Mattingly
Fandango's finisher: The Scary Uncle
Seth Rollins's finisher: Don't cry for me, Argentina or the Annexation of Puerto Rico

These names are all listed on the official WWE website ...

that I visited in a heroine nightmare.

Reactions: papercuts_hurt

·
Registered
2,541 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Rollins' finishing maneuver doesn't have a name, I believe.
I think it's called the Hyper Knee. The knee from the top rope to a standing opponent. But I agree, if it's a wrestler's finishing maneuver, it shod be named. Long gone are the days of an announcer saying "He just hit him with the _________" even after you've never even heard of the wrestler before. The commentors don't put over wrestlers like they used to, they're too busy trying to create a sound byte for a video package.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rollins' finishing maneuver doesn't have a name, I believe.
The knee off the top does not have a name, but the head stomp (which he's used at least once or twice as a finisher since joining the main roster) used to be called the Blackout in NXT. But not in WWE!

Long gone are the days of an announcer saying "He just hit him with the _________" even after you've never even heard of the wrestler before. The commentors don't put over wrestlers like they used to, they're too busy trying to create a sound byte for a video package.
And this is exactly why! The commentators barely pay attention to the match half the time, and they almost never seem to recognize when wrestlers are going for signature spots or moves aside from the really major wrestlers (and even then not always).

·
From parts unknown
23,262 Posts
Yup. I agree completely. WWE has been lazy on naming finishers and moves lately and the overall product is suffering because of it.

Imagine our experience of the Attitude era without Ross screaming "OMG .. IT'S THE STUNNER .. THE STONE COLD STUNNER!!" and instead we got Michale Cole "Vintage Austin .. that's Vintage Austin" ...

It's like he's talking about a car or a bottle of champagne instead of devastating wrestling move. Ugh.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
They do have names, just Michael Cole knows jack shit about the various wrestling moves. JR knew most of them, and if he didn't he could at least come up with a creative way to describe it, Michael Cole just calls everything he doesn't know a "slam" or some other ultra generic term like that.

It's even more ridiculous when we know wrestlers in WWE have to have their move sets greenlit backstage before using them, there's no reason Michael Cole can't just study the moves he KNOWS might be used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts