Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of angry WWE fans everywhere you turn.

Lots of angry words for the WWE.

Lots of frustration.

But also lots of interest.

In fact, more interest than the WWE would have if Daniel Bryan won the Rumble.

This is sports "entertainment". Isn't the whole point to get people talking. Mad, angry, sad, frustrated, etc. are all better than indifferent.

The smarks and the casuals have one thing in common. They will always rally behind an underdog. That's why they're always trying to sell us Cena as an underdog so hard before every match. We don't like the super push. We actually despise it. Plug in any super star and make him look invincible, and we're gonna turn on him. We prefer something more human and more real. It's how we connect.

There's a fine line of pushing a guy just right. I think the WWE knows exactly what buttons they are pushing with Bryan to keep him in the underdog role. It's where he excels.

No matter who won the RR, Daniel Bryan is walking away the most popular guy in the biz. And people are talking more about the biz than typical this time of year.

It's a win, win, win.

You may not like the results, but you all seem to care and be more opinionated about the results than ever before. Seems like that benefits the WWE to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spot on. This is why WWE are forever making awful decisions.

It really pisses me off the amount of people who say "I'm never watching wwe again" after a match result they hate at a PPV but then they watch Raw the very next day.

Then and only then, will WWE finally get the message. Vote with your television remotes, not your spur of the moment internet ramblings.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I agree.

There's been a load of interest in Reigns winning, good or bad.

People may say Reigns sucks, but there certainly wasn't this kind of interest when Del Rio and Sheamus won the Royal Rumble.

WWE have a chance to make Reigns a star by turning him heel at the moment. Make him a badass heel and within 6 months he'll be getting cheered.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
But there's no interest in Reigns winning the WWE title, just anger and frustration.

If WWE changes their plans then yes there is interest.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
except it hasn't resulted in a surge of new subscriptions so who cares about all the bad publicity they are getting...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Vince knows exactly what he's doing. It worked last year. Blur the lines of Kay Fabe. Get everyone in an uproar. Create a huge buzz. It's what got me watching again in 2013.

There's a reason WWE has dominated this business for damn near 40 years folks.

·
B̴l̨e͡edįng͜ Sin ⛧
10,403 Posts
So maybe they should continue making every awful decision imaginable because hey! It draws interest!

You know what else draws interest? Putting out a good show every week with a great PPV every month.

And no, last nights interviews killed whatever intrest I had.

·
Banned
238 Posts
If Gene Snitsky had won the Rumble, this same thread could have been created. Doesn't mean Gene Snitsky should be main eventing Wrestlemania.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another way to look at it is that the real kayfabe here is the WWE vs their fans. Perhaps Vince and co are just trolling us on a grander scale, the same way HHH or Seth does in the ring?

HHH has been telling us for years that they don't care about the fans and are doing what's best for business.

I really think it's kinda genius (assuming it's intentional of course). Kayfabe lives in it's newest form. The only form that it can continue to live in because everyone knows the business is scripted.

Just look at the way they seem to play the fans and the media. It's quite brilliant. After seeing how they handled Bryan last year, I'm pretty sure they have this all planned out. Of course, they make mistakes and create some bad entertainment at times. But overall in terms of big picture, they are getting a lot of interaction and engagement.

·
Registered
13,589 Posts
Now would be the perfect time and opportunity for a billionaire to cash in and steal WWE's business by making his or hers own wrestling promotion.
if i was a billionaire the last place i would invest money is in wrestling.

* you can't sell the product to networks or advertisers because they consider the fanbase too poor and uneducated, lucha underground is getting $200 per 30 second ad. wwe despite having a bigger annual tv audience than the nba, nhl, mlb, nascar and ufc are getting the same tv money as the mls. the mls draws about 1/10th of the wwe viewership.

* you can't sell the product to your own fans because only a small % spend money on it. even when wwe had 7 million us fans watching a week on average during the AE they could only get about 10% paying for ppvs. tna could only get 1% of their fans buying their shows...compare that to mma.

* costs are enormous if you want to provide a national tv product. its costing tna and lucha underground $700k to tape one episode of tv.

·
Starving for poutine
7,260 Posts
Um. Not so sure.

NXT R-Evolution got a way better backlash in December and got new people talking about it in a much better way than the Rumble. I told a friend of mine (who's never watched NXT before) to watch that show and he's now an NXT fan.

Much better example: CM Punk's promo in 2011. THAT generated much more fan interest than anything the WWE has done in the past 5 years. In fact, this is how I got back to watching WWE, since I stopped for 3 years before that.

Also, where's the fan interest now when #CancelWWENetwork is trending?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts