Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we all know that for how much Del Rio has been pushed, his heat is very mediocre. He's done everything there is to do in order to get heat. He has injured fan favorites, won the Rumble, main evented WM, won MITB, everything. But why can't he generate heat from the crowd? You're probably going to say cuz he's boring. Well, why or how is he boring? My theories.

1. He just takes it too slow and makes the fans lose interest. He pulls up in a nice ass car, sits there smiles for a few seconds, gets out the car, smiles and poses, walks down the ramp slow as fuck. Then when he gets in the ring... "My name....(pause)....My name is....(pause)....ALBERTO DEL RIO!!!....(pause)....But you....(pause)....You already know that....(pause and wink)". What I'm saying isn't just opinion. Look at the Royal Rumble. The next entrant AFTER Del Rio, I think it was Orton, came out when Del Rio was still at the ramp!!!! What the fuck?? When the fans hear this guy's music, they probably say "Oh great, this is going to take forever" instead of boo.

2. Repeats EVERYTHING. This isn't his fault but the fans know that he is going to talk about destiny, and being great, and all that shit, pretty much same shit he talked about since the end of last year in EVERY PROMO!!!

3. His accent is hard to understand. This isn't a big one, lots of guys have had accents, but his really is much harder to understand.

So what do you think? Why doesn't Del Rio get heat? I think the main ones are Theory #1 and #2 (look above).

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Re: Theories on why Del Rio doesn't get heat

I think he has been better of late, and has drawn somewhat of a reaction from the crowd. But i dont find his accent that hard to understand..

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

It's his gimmick, there's not really anything to hate about it. So you're some snobby rich guy who likes to flaunt his supposed wealth, wow haven't seen that one before *sarcasm*

·
Registered
8,365 Posts

i could agree on the first two points , especially his mic skills , but i don't think that's the main reason ..

his gimmick is overdone as hell

the rich heel who enters the ring with a car and a heel swag and has his own valet , we saw it many times .. JBL , Million Dollar Man , etc..

sure he is getting a bit of heat lately , not denying that ..

that and the fact that the spotlight is on the nash/punk/hhh angle

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

I think the big problem is that he's just not evil. He's supposedly super rich, but doesn't seem ruthless. He's not sinister. He's not particularly cocky. He says negative things about the babyface, but that's it. To be a great heel, you need to make the crowd hate you. So, yes, repeating lines about desinty is just boring. He needs to be ruthless. 2000-2005 heel Triple H would do anything to be in power, and often succeeded, and vanquished heroes in the process. Del Rio has done none of that.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It's his gimmick, there's not really anything to hate about it. So you're some snobby rich guy who likes to flaunt his supposed wealth, wow haven't seen that one before *sarcasm*
Yeah but it's very apparent that it's not working.

NOTE: Your sig is very interesting. It says debut speech but I don't remember Jericho saying that with The Rock?

·
Banned
5,374 Posts

He has good matches but thats not enough. Hes a snob, not exactly the best gimmick. Triple H had this gimmick and went nowhere, his career wasnt that hot (except for his feud with Foley in '97) until he formed DX and left that snob gimmick behind.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Well, my theory is a combination of the scripts given to him, and WWE letting him job at very odd moments. So far, he's been getting heat nowadays now that he is booked more consistently

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Yeah but it's very apparent that it's not working.

NOTE: Your sig is very interesting. It says debut speech but I don't remember Jericho saying that with The Rock?
Yea totally not working, I don't think the whole snobby rich guy gimmick in general will work anymore.

As for the sig It was a part of his speech from when he first debuted in the WWF interrupting the Rock seen here.... starting at around 4:15

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Well, my theory is a combination of the scripts given to him, and WWE letting him job at very odd moments. So far, he's been getting heat nowadays now that he is booked more consistently
He's getting more reaction because he's feuding with Cena. Just look at Punk's reaction before and after Cena.

Someone hit the head of the nail on this one. He just isn't that dislikeable.

·
Registered
300 Posts
his gimmick is to bland. all that there is to him is the cocky, cowardly heel with the same old promo over and over again. they try to make him seem like an awesome character because of his stupid ass cars. on a side note, does anyone else think that cena pointing out the fact that dek rios cars are rented is just him trying to be a little more like cm punk

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good topic btw. I think the simple answer to this is that the fans just dont give a DAM about the guy.
Yeah but why? I mean, he's great in the ring, is charismatic, and has a good look, and has mic skills. Why doesn't the crowd give a damn?

·
100% Straight Fire
2,692 Posts
He's the most forced champion ever. No one gives a shit about him because he's just so bland, and has no character whatsoever. He's mid-card worthy at best, and the fact he's main evented Wrestlemania is physically painful to think about. He's average in the ring, dire on the mic and just lacks any form of personality or outstanding wrestling skills. As for his look... meh. Boring.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Del Rio is talented. Simply put, he has a bad gimmick. He repeats the same stuff over and over again, acts way too happy for a top heel, and generally does the same crap every other heel in the company does.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts