Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOREWORD

The forthcoming opinion does not apply, in any manner, to children, or to those under the age of fifteen. This argument sprouts atop the notion that man must be an intelligent being to deserve the name, but children are not yet men. Consequently, children, with their naturally undeveloped range of thinking, have the unalterable right to be dumb. Whereas being dumb is an embarrassment for adults, it is for children a profound source of indescribable joy and innocence. I have no intention to deprive any child of those attributes, for the loss thereof is inevitable. It will leave naturally, without my assistance, and always far too soon.

My intention here is pure. Works of these sort can provoke improvement in the individual and the world, as the two are not separate from one another. Such is verifiable in history, as the provocative pamphlets of Thomas Paine may attest. Like Paine, I believe in the power of reason, and I, in accord, will close this foreword with a citation from of "The Age of Reason":

"I put the following work under your protection. It contains my opinion upon [The Yes! chant]. You will do me the justice to remember, that I have always strenously supported the Right of every Man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies to another this right, makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is Reason. I have never used any other, and I trust I never shall."(Paine)

A Formal Denouncement of the Yes! Chant

ABSTRACT: The YES! chant is for dumb people.

FULL:

The YES! Chant currently used by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) superstar Daniel Bryan, as well as its accompanying hand-movement, is illogical, unnecessary, meaningless, and dumb. The word “Yes,” like all words, is clearly definable, and applying such definition to the applicable chant shows that WWE fans repeat the word thoughtlessly, without any reasonable cognizance thereof. Examining the variegated situations wherein WWE fans invoke the chant reveals an inconsistency hostile to intelligence. De-contextualized and fragmented, directed at no one and nothing, the absence of specificity and meaning shows that the chant and its hand-movement serve no legitimate purpose. A plethora of chants and gestures already exist to enable the audience to intelligently express their-selves, no matter the character or situation. There is no reasonable cause to resort to the Yes chant, in other words. If WWE fans want to be more like humans and less like dumb parrots, they will sincerely seek a surcease of “YES! … YES! … YES!” and its accompanying hand gesture.

The chant consists of only one word, and this word has multiple meanings. As an adverb, it can be “used to give a positive answer or reply to a question, request, or offer." A student may ask if one plus one equals two, and the teacher may reasonably reply “yes.” A car-salesman may offer a vehicle for five-hundred dollars, and his or her customer may reasonably reply “yes.” A parent may ask his or her daughter if she is ready for school, and the daughter may reasonably reply, “yes.” Of course, the word need not always follow a question, request, or offer. “Yes” as an adverb may also be “used to express agreement with an earlier statement.” In this usage, a worker may say “Yes” to the details revealed in a proposal while she is at a meeting, or a teacher may say “Yes” during a student’s oral recital. “Yes” can be “used as a function word to indicate uncertainty or polite interest or attentiveness.” If I call someone on the street, for instance, they may answer with, “Yes? How may I help you?” Finally, as a noun “Yes” is “an answer of yes.” The Senate, to illustrate this usage, may need a “Yes” from fifteen-percent of its senators to pass a bill. The latter two definitions do not apply to the WWE chant, so I further invoke the first two definitions alone.

The Yes chant as used by WWE fans does not accord with any of the above definitions except for rare occasions. One of those “rare occasions” occurred when Bryan announced his entry in the Royal Rumble. He had asked, “Is my career over?” The audience responded with a repetition of “No!,” the counterpart of the chant under criticism herein. Bryan soon asked, “Will I be in the Royal Rumble?” The audience and Bryan shouted “YES!” Triple H once said in an opening promo, “Do you want to see Daniel Bryan in the main-event at Wrestlemania?,” to which the fans responded, “Yes.” In these examples, the YES! chant is reasonable, for it is “a positive answer or reply to a question.” I do not criticize the WWE fans for shouting Yes in these selective situations.

However, such situations are not typical. Ninety-nine percent of the time, the chant is used unreasonably. Fans most frequently chant “YES!” when Daniel Bryan’s music plays and he runs to the ring, jumping up and down with the hand gesture. In this usage, the fans are not offering “a positive answer or reply to a question, offer, or request”; nor are they “expressing agreement with an earlier statement.” Simply coming to the ring during his entrance, Bryan is not, under any circumstance, offering a situation in which another can intelligently reply in the affirmative. Likewise, fans shout “YES!” when Bryan gets offense during a match, such as a kick. Again, the usage here does not correspond with the aforementioned definitions. A kick is not a question, proposal, or suggestion. More stupidly, fans shout “YES!” when someone merely mentions Daniel Bryan during an interview or in-ring segment, regardless of the context. The fans here react as though Bryan’s very name is a question, offer, or request that warrants a reply of “yes.” What are the fans trying to say when they shout Yes in such situations? Like dumb parrots, WWE fans repeat the word without knowing its definition. The usage of Yes amongst the WWE fans is more akin to an interjection that expresses intense delight, such as “Woo-hoo,” but “yes” does not carry this meaning, whether the fans like it or not.

Moreover, the chant lacks meaningful specificity. Fans often associate the Yes chant with Daniel Bryan, but history proves that chant is not specific to him. When he was injured, for example, his wife regularly used the same chant (as well as its hand movement), and she elicited the same fan reaction that Bryan always did. When Brie slapped Stephanie McMahon, Brie used the hand-gesture, and the audience, like parrots, started shouting Yes with fury and feigned intent. At Hell in a Cell 2013, CM Punk attacked Paul Heyman with a kendo stick, and fans unexplainably shouted “YES!” with every strike, though Bryan was nowhere to be seen. At this same time-period, Big Show, feuding with The Authority, used the Yes chant without Daniel Bryan’s presence, and he too was able to elicit the same crowd reaction as Bryan always did.

Consequently, the fans who wish to express their favoritism towards Bryan are better served using already-established chants and gestures. When Bryan enters the ring, jumping up and down, the fans may reasonably shout his name, “Daniel Bryan,” clap their hands, whistle, or shout “woo-hoo” to show that they are happy with his presence. When someone mentions Daniel Bryan’s name during an interview or in-ring segment, the fans may reasonably shout “Daniel Bryan,” clap their hands, whistle, or shout “woo-hoo.” When Daniel Bryan does a move that pleases you, such as his kicks, you may clap your hands, whistle, shout “woo-hoo,” or chant “Kick him Bryan! … Kick him Bryan!.” Alternatively, the fans can shout, "You can wrestle!," "You are awesome," or "Kick him more!" In those examples, the fans are intelligently saying something, which, in YES!, they are not. Altogether, these chants and gestures offer specificity in meaning, with clapping and shouting being established as praise, and specificity in target, with the chant “Daniel Bryan” being impossible to apply to anyone but Daniel Bryan. Fans resort to “YES” for no good reason when superior chants and gestures exist.

The “Yes” chant, of course, is not alone. Accompanying “YES” is a hand movement that, like the chant itself, is entirely dumb. The fans make a pointing movement towards the sky, as though they were appealing to heaven or signifying the number one. Neither of these scenarios is sensible, for Bryan’s character does not involve the religion or the number one. What then does the hand-gesture mean, if anything? Fans repeat this movement endlessly with every shout, so one would assume that the fans would know. They do not. Like the parrot-like utterance of yes, the hand-gesture is further proof that WWE fans are brainless.

Some may, alas, respond with the timeless argument that this is just wrestling, a source of entertainment. Regardless, entertainment or not, thinking is essential. To stop thinking is to stop being human; it is to become an animal, like the aforesaid parrot. To counter these claims under the notion that wrestling does not require sense is to assume that humans can stop being humans at will or that intelligence and entertainment is incompatible. I cannot endorse either view. If the Yes chant is dumb, then the Yes chant must stop.

Works Cited:

"Daniel Bryan." WWE. Web. 3 Feb. 2015 <http://www.wwe.com/superstars/danielbryan/>.

Paine, Thomas. "The Age of Reason." Collected Writings. New York: Library of America, 1995. 665. Print.

"Raw | Latest News, Results, Videos, Photos, and More." WWE. Web. 3 Feb. 2015. <http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw>.

"Yes." Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster. Web. 3 Feb. 2015. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/yes>.

Image:

Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
This guy again.. :lmao :lmao

He has a definition of yes :lmao :lmao :lmao

He has listed his sources :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

And two of them are wwe.com :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

He was copy pasted and writen an essay without having an opinion at all.. He is just recapping stuff :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Because meanings outside the dictionary are never applied to already established words/phrases....

My point, the Yes! chant has been associated with positive reactions regarding Daniel Bryan, it's done and isn't changing any time soon and if you don't like it, deal with it. Also don't be a pedant

·
Quiet On The Set
701 Posts
I'm not even sure what to think of the post, but I do too think it is stupid. I would feel like such a tool doing it in the crowd (unless I was a little kid). Daniel Bryan should send royalty checks to Diego Sanchez for life, considering Bryan would not be where he is without stealing the idea from Sanchez.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I'm not even sure what to think of the post, but I do too think it is stupid. I would feel like such a tool doing it in the crowd (unless I was a little kid). Daniel Bryan should send royalty checks to Diego Sanchez for life, considering Bryan would not be where he is without stealing the idea from Sanchez.
Stealing the idea from Sanchez when it has nothing same to begin with except the word yes. :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

People who chant yes are tools :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Not a trying to bait people 200%

·
Quiet On The Set
701 Posts
Stealing the idea from Sanchez when it has nothing same to begin with except the word yes. :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

People who chant yes are tools :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Not a trying to bait people 200%
Maybe before you accuse me of trying to bait anyone, you'd look up the facts. Bryan has said himself that he took the idea from Sanchez.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It is pretty stupid. I'd only do it for a performer such as Daniel Bryan. The dude makes it awesome. Ok so I guess in conclusion it is awesome.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
People chill out.. He has done the same before.. He writes a small book with some bullshit and copy/paste in it because he thinks he is above the masses.

Maybe before you accuse me of trying to bait anyone, you'd look up the facts. Bryan has said himself that he took the idea from Sanchez.
Oh Bryan took the idea? I didn't knew that.. I just learned it from you...

It's called inspiration dude.He took an idea and elevated it separating it from the original one which to begin with Diego Sanchez said that took it from another guy...

Royalty checks for life :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

·
Quiet On The Set
701 Posts
Oh Bryan took the idea? I didn't knew that.. I just learned it from you...

It's called inspiration dude.He took an idea and elevated it separating it from the original one which to begin with Diego Sanchez said that took it from another guy...

Royalty checks for life :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
No worries. Yes, he said it himself. Sanchez used to scream "yes" as he walked to the ring. The only modification is that he would do more of a fist pump as opposed to throwing his arms in the air.

I didn't mean royalty checks in a literal sense, I just meant that IN MY OPINION, if he hadn't thought of the idea from Sanchez, that his popularity wouldn't be nearly what it is now.

So in a sense, I think a lot of his success (which has resulted into a lot of extra cash) is indirectly due to Sanchez.

·
Banned
25,988 Posts
This guy just wrote a whole novel on a chant. :lol

Didn't read any of it btw, because I just know if someone else was chanting it you wouldn't have a problem with it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
What?

Woooo!

*Flies away*

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
No worries. Yes, he said it himself. Sanchez used to scream "yes" as he walked to the ring. The only modification is that he would do more of a fist pump as opposed to throwing his arms in the air.

I didn't mean royalty checks in a literal sense, I just meant that IN MY OPINION, if he hadn't thought of the idea from Sanchez, that his popularity wouldn't be nearly what it is now.

So in a sense, I think a lot of his success (which has resulted into a lot of extra cash) is indirectly due to Sanchez.
Ok let's get serious for a moment. Why the people started chanting yes? Because the liked the chant? And if the people liked the chant why Diego Sanchez stop doing it? Maybe because it wasn't supposed to never caught with the masses?

Maybe Bryan took a simple idea and make it his? It's not even for discussion that Diego's Yes didn't have anything similar with Bryan's.

Diego did it for positivity,Bryan did it to annoy people and to celebrate pointing his hands to the air.

Also it is not for discussion to say that Bryan go over because of the chant.The people started saying YES because it was something affiliated with Bryan and they wanted to show him their support. What does that shows? That Bryan was fucking over.

Seriously i am tired to say the same fucking thing for three fucking years.. It still baffles me that people are in fucking denial..

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.