Wrestling Forum banner

'The WWE is edging back towards a TV-14 rating'. Really?

5184 Views 25 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  SPCDRI
Despite The Rock throwing out the occasional 'ass' for effect, and the Big Show making contact to the head with a steel chair (which was VERY OBVIOUSLY a botch upon repeated viewings), I don't believe the company have shown ANY signs of returning to its pre- PG rating.

Have I missed something? Is this just wishful thinking, or have there been other signs that a change is going to occur?

(Edit: Far be it from me to pine for a TV-14 rating, I'm of the opinion the PG rating is just fine.)
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Saying 'ass' and head shots with chairs don't make the product any better.

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Semi true. Saying ass instead of something John Cena would say, like poop chute or whatever does in fact make the product better.
Well you can't realistically debate that can you. It's completley subjective. Cena saying 'ass' instead of whatever silly stuff he's scripted to say would make the show better for you. For the majority of his fans, it'd get a slightly more muted reaction.

Your point is null and void at the most fundamental of levels; Cena is entirely subjective.

· Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Semi true. Saying ass instead of something John Cena would say, like poop chute or whatever does in fact make the product better.
Assuming they write a promo using that particular reference.

· Registered
327 Posts
I don't care if its PG or 14.

A good product is a good product, and a bad product is a bad product.

Right now they are somewhere in between. Some of it is good. Other parts, ugh, hideously bad.

I feel only a serious competitor with a TV 14 rating will force their hand to return to a TV 14 product, but, still, TV 14 does not necessarily mean it will be a good product.

· Registered
18,863 Posts
WWE isn't and shouldn't go back to 14+.

PG is best business move WWE has made in over a decade.

They expand their potential viewers(short term loss,but long term gain), clean up wrestlings image to the media(since the medias idea of wrestling is just two steroid guys in tights rolling around the ring,bleeding and swearing) and the best thing of all is that 90% of things we saw on 14+ TV in the past decade are allowed on PGTV.

Things in attitude era were real close to 18+(I remember reading something about an article in canada how people were complaining about WWE being rated only 14+ in canada back then).

But most things seen and said in WWE 5-10 years ago are perfectly allowed on PG, WWE is just slowly turning things people saw 5-10 years ago back into natural things that happen on tv. People grew up seeing and hearing certain things on wwe, and now they're doing the same thing to the younger audience, slowly making certain things seem natural to them.

· Registered
1,462 Posts
WWE PG is not the problem nor has it ever been, the real problem is that all of the creative team seem to have their heads so far up their own asses to see what they're doing wrong.

· Registered
6,087 Posts
WWE has far bigger problems than "PG". It's the goddamn booking. Even if it suddenly went back to TV-14, if they kept everything else the same, it would still suck. There would just be additional blood, swearing and general profanity on top of the suck.

· Registered
484 Posts
WWE will be staying PG for a while. There's a surprising amount you can get away with in PG anyway.

· Banned
4,476 Posts
'Ass' and a chairshot aren't indications of TV-14 anyway, both of those would easily fly under a PG rating. They're just making things a little edgier, there's no big fundamental change I can see.
Exactly. That's what people don't seem to understand. Everything they're doing falls under the PG rating. Until they're swearing in every sentence, bleeding every night, or having live sex celebrations in the middle of the ring, the rating won't change.

Until someone blades, there are NO signs of WWE leaving the PG rating.
Not true. As long as it isn't every match, a little bit of blood would still fall under the PG rating.

WWE isn't and shouldn't go back to 14+.

PG is best business move WWE has made in over a decade.

They expand their potential viewers(short term loss,but long term gain), clean up wrestlings image to the media(since the medias idea of wrestling is just two steroid guys in tights rolling around the ring,bleeding and swearing) and the best thing of all is that 90% of things we saw on 14+ TV in the past decade are allowed on PGTV.

Things in attitude era were real close to 18+(I remember reading something about an article in canada how people were complaining about WWE being rated only 14+ in canada back then).

But most things seen and said in WWE 5-10 years ago are perfectly allowed on PG, WWE is just slowly turning things people saw 5-10 years ago back into natural things that happen on tv. People grew up seeing and hearing certain things on wwe, and now they're doing the same thing to the younger audience, slowly making certain things seem natural to them.
Best post of the thread. Well said, Bender.

· Registered
5,432 Posts
No.

As I have stated numerous times WWE has signed a 5 deal with toy company Mattel in 2010. The contract was signed and an agreement reached between the two that WWE would keep it's programming PG until the end of it's contract in 2015. No blood, no direct chair shots, no bad language (ass is PG, you hear ass in PG movies it's not a swear word, the words they want to keep off is words like fuck and shit etc)

WWE is very happy with Matell and Matell is the largest toy company in the world and therefore to lose this deal would be bad business for WWE. It makes alot of money from the toy figures it sells and making it's programming PG and aimed more at Mattel's audience is something WWE has agreed to.

It is guaranteed WWE will not change from PG until the contract is up with Mattel but as the deal is so lucrative for both parties I can even see it being extended for another 5 years till 2020.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.